Art Show/Auction Guidelines
- All entries must be your own compositions. Fanart is welcomed as long as it is original. Redrawn/retraced art of official illustrations will not be accepted and will be taken down.
- All mediums(ie. marker, pencil, prints, oils, watercolor,…) will be accepted, including photography.
- All artwork must be in good condition and either matted, backed and/or framed.
- The title of the piece and the artists name must be printed on the back of each entry.
- All pieces must have a title.
- Only one copy of each print may be hung in the artshow.
- Any art with sexual content are welcomed as long as the person/character depicted in them as well as the artist are over the age of 18.
- All art containing adult content will be hung in a section of its own. If you’re not sure if your piece is acceptable please use the contact form below and we will be glad to help you in any way we can.
- If you are not able to attend or have someone bring your art to the convention, you may arrange to ship your art to the show (address is below).
- Please make sure to ship your art in a returnable box and include a check for the return shipping fee.
- If you would like your art hung in a specific way please include a panel layout.
- Art will be accepted from anywhere, but please keep in mind that you will be payed in US currency and must pay for your panel(s) in US currency as well.
- The address to mail in art show submissions if you can’t attend San Japan is: San Japan, c/o Art Show, P.O. Box 660165 Austin, TX 78766. All entries must be received by June 15th, 2013.
- All panels are 4′ x 4′ feet (48 x 48 inch) and are $5 each. Each single entry is $1.
- No percentage will be taken out of your final sales.
- Once the artwork is entered it may not be withdrawn from the show until Sunday morning/afternoon. If you need to leave sooner please make arrangements with me at the show when you are checking in.
- The art show will open up to the artists on Friday at 10 AM and to the public at noon. Please notify the art show staff ahead of time if you will be arriving later on in the day. If you will be having an agent representing you and your artwork please provide them with a letter of authorization and specify to whom payment should be made.
- All artwork must be in good condition and either matted, backed and/or framed. All loose leaf artwork will be taken down and the panel fee will not be refunded.
- It is up to the artist to make sure their artwork is well protected. San Japan will not be responsible for any damaged artwork.
- All art must be picked up by 3:00pm Sunday.
- All artists will be paid on Sunday between 2:00pm to 3:00pm. If you need to leave early and all of your artwork with bids has been picked up and payed for we will be able to pay you on the spot.
- All mail-in artists will be payed within 2-4 weeks.
- Silent Auction starts at noon on Friday and ends at 6:00 pm on Saturday.
- All pieces with 2 or more bids will go straight to live auction.
- Pieces with one written bid will be sold to that bidder.
- All pieces on Sunday with no bids will be sold for the after auction price specified by the artist. If an after auction price is not specified then the piece will be sold for the direct sale price.
- All bidders must pay a $10 refundable fee to get a bidder number. If you do not bid or win anything we will refund the $10. If you do win a piece in the auction then we will put it towards your payment.
- The fee is placed to protect the artists and insure that we have serious bidders only.
- If you win a piece and do not pay your $10 deposit, it will go to the artist on whose piece you bid.
- All direct sale pieces may be picked up on the spot. We understand that you may want to take the artwork home with you right away and encourage direct sales to insure that you get the piece.
- All pieces with 1 bid may be picked up Saturday night at the live auction (either before it starts or after it ends) or Sunday morning between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
- All bids must be in full dollar increments. We will round all the bids up if you choose not to follow the rules and guidelines.
- All silent auction bidding will end on Saturday at 6:00 pm. No artwork (with the exception of direct sales) will be allowed to be taken out at that time. The Art Show staff will sort through every piece with bids and bring it to the live auction that evening, where it may be picked up.
- We will accept payments in cash only so that we can pay the artists right away. Please allow yourself plenty of cash if you plan on bidding and fighting for your pieces at a live auction (and don’t forget about tax). I look forward to seeing you all at San Japan.
For The Art Show Information Form, for the artists who can’t make it in person, Download & Print the PDF File. – Art Show PDF Document. Sign-up forms will be available at the convention to sign-up in person.
Answer to other questions:
- There is no limit on backing or submissions but there is limited space and you do have to pay for each submission.
- Tables will be available to display 3D artwork
- There is no limit size on 3D Pieces such as ceramics.
- You are not limited to submitting only anime artwork but put into consideration that this is an anime convention and understand the audience that will be looking at the artwork.
- YES, you can submit your art on the day of the convention in the Artshow. You are required to have a badge (Artist Alley/Attendee) in order to submit your artwork in person.
- We do not take reservations on panels but we will be limited by space.
- The address to mail in art show submissions if you can’t attend San Japan is: San Japan, P.O. Box 660165, Austin, TX 78766. All entries must be received by June 15th, 2015. All late submissions will be returned back to the artist.
Still have questions? Please go to our Contact Form to contact the San Japan Staff.