PDA

View Full Version : New Guests: Ellen McLain

Proz
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
We have just confirmed that Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS from Portal, will be at San Japan: Mach 5. Her husband, John Patrick Lowrie, The Sniper from Team Fortress 2, will be also be a guest at San Japan: Mach 5.

illusion007
06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
This was a triumph

Darth Sebastian
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
This was a triumph

Quoters like you are one of the reasons I'm not going.

Puritysan
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
D8 This con. THIS CON. I dunno how to feel about this...

illusion007
06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Quoters like you are one of the reasons I'm not going.

I'm making a note here, HUGE SUCCESS!

Nat
06-23-2012, 02:52 AM
*happy fart*

Proz
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
D8 This con. THIS CON. I dunno how to feel about this...

I have said over the course SJ was to get VG VAs. They've been on my radar for quite some time.

RedeadDie
06-23-2012, 10:27 AM
My jaw literally dropped when I saw the announcement. I'm really excited for SJ now and hopefully I'll find some free time to see her.

Puritysan
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I have said over the course SJ was to get VG VAs. They've been on my radar for quite some time.

Proz. Video game voice actors would be great.
If they were from Japanese Video games.

Proz, I love san japan, and all.

BUT YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO TURN BACK. YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO REDEEM WHAT MAKES AN ANIME CONVENTION. And these types of guests are COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC for a JAPANESE POP CULTURE CONVENTION.

Sorry to all those who really like portal or tf2... but, here's where I am a purist. IN MY JAPANESE ANIME CONVENTIONS.

TURN BACK, PROZ. TURN BACK. YOU HAVE THE CHANCE.

:3

If we're getting to the point where we can afford vg va's, why not quinton flynn? or tara strong? david hayter?

WHY PORTAL/TF2? WHY?

illusion007
06-23-2012, 08:02 PM
be happy we got something different than anime VAs dude
Besides it's a small step before we get other video games voice actors in the near future

Darth Sebastian
06-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Besides it's a small step before we get other video games voice actors in the near future

Point, missed.

illusion007
06-23-2012, 08:12 PM
This year's convention will hit almost 8K with plenty of people who would be happy to see Mrs McLain along with many others VAs, the fact that two disgruntled people arent happy with this announcement wont mean much anyway

Darth Sebastian
06-23-2012, 09:12 PM
This year's convention will hit almost 8K with plenty of people who would be happy to see Mrs McLain along with many others VAs, the fact that two disgruntled people arent happy with this announcement wont mean much anyway

Quite the insulting little runt, aren't you?

Anyway, whether or not the masses might enjoy McLain or not is, in fact, still missing the point.

But I believe in Proz. He said he'd refocus next year and I believe him. He has a lot of integrity.

ErazDod
06-23-2012, 09:32 PM
If you aren't going to the convention, then do you really have a place to complain about the guests that are going? It's like how people who don't vote complain about who gets elected, if you didn't attempt to make an influence or didn't even bother attending the event, then you have no reason to complain about what happens at it or who gets chosen because you aren't involved in it.

I think that Ellen McLain is an awesome guest, being a huge fan of video games in general and of Portal. I wouldn't be surprised if this sparks a legion of Portal cosplayers now.

illusion007
06-23-2012, 09:36 PM
i love you Eraz, no homo

Puritysan
06-24-2012, 12:30 AM

http://realsportslounge.com/images/smilies/jackie-chan-meme_reasonably_small.pnghttp://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/square/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

I'd prefer more anime va's, actually... since, this is an anime/japanese pop culture con... hmm.
there's actually a few that we haven't had before that would probably be nice.

Like, Richard Ian Cox. 8D
Pair him with Scott McNeil...
Toss in Moneca Stori, and David Kaye....
and that would be an interesting on-slaughter of cosplayers too.

I believe in you proz! 8D

and there's never a vote on who comes... just a butt ton of suggestions. XD

Darth Sebastian
06-24-2012, 12:38 AM
If you aren't going to the convention, then do you really have a place to complain about the guests that are going? It's like how people who don't vote complain about who gets elected, if you didn't attempt to make an influence or didn't even bother attending the event, then you have no reason to complain about what happens at it or who gets chosen because you aren't involved in it.

I've been to every San Japan so far, thankyouverymuch, so to act like I don't have some interest in this, is incredibly ignorant. So what'll it be, you two, ignorant or stupid?

ChibiBritt
06-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Call me crazy but aren't you the one who loves to complain about everything? Even if you're not involved?

illusion007
06-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Call me crazy but aren't you the one who loves to complain about everything? Even if you're not involved?

i like you too

Darth Sebastian
06-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Call me crazy but did you even read what I said or did you just see my screen name and think that my presence here allows you to turn your "snarky little turd" mode on?

srsly guise lrn2tolerate differing opinions.

illusion007
06-24-2012, 12:57 AM
I vaguely remember that you complained about last year's masquerade even though you didnt go at all. So it's like 'what the hell man'?

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 12:57 AM
I thought San-Japan was a bit more diverse con from what I've seen and what other workers have stated. What makes it so friendly, popular, and unique is that it branches out to all nerdum. I mean, comic book conventions has guests that worked on TV series and others as their guest. I really don't see people have an issue with it or stating that, "Only persons involved in the comic book industry should be guests."

You're entitled to your own opinion, and if you happen to believe a convention isn't suiting your vision, you don't have to take part or you can take part and just offer some very simple feedback such after the convention tries out something diverse or new.

Darth Sebastian
06-24-2012, 12:59 AM
I vaguely remember that you complained about last year's masquerade even though you didnt go at all. So it's like 'what the hell man'?

No, it's not. I didn't have to go. It was posted about. OH GOD I WASN'T PHYSICALLY INVOLVED WITH SOMETHING I FORMED AN OPINION ON, OHJEEZ

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Off topic now, lets stay on our guest conversation.

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Alright then.

I like Portal and Team Fortress 2 so i am excited to see them at San Japan

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:02 AM
Agreed. As I have stated in the previous comments, I really hope I find some free time to get an autograph from her. If not, maybe I'll catch a glimpse of her as I'm zipping through the convention halls.

overbeck
06-24-2012, 01:05 AM
We have just confirmed that Ellen McLain, the voice of GLaDOS from Portal, will be at San Japan: Mach 5. Her husband, John Patrick Lowrie, The Sniper from Team Fortress 2, will be also be a guest at San Japan: Mach 5.

I think that's great. I love portal and tf2. And she did a great job as the voice of GLaDOS.

Puritysan
06-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Problem is... diverse is great, if we want San japan to turn into a nerd con...

...and not just an anime convention.. or japanese pop culture convention...

which is right in it's name.

so, yes. diversity is good. but if you would LIKE to let proz know that you would like to have san japan turn into something a bit more cover all for nerds/geeks/whatever...

let him know, so he can change the name of the con accordingly. XD

SDCC is a... special case, if that's what you're referring to. Point is, that con, is 90% comic books. the media guest panels that it does, are a VERY small part of it (a small part that might cut the entire convention in half), but is not SDCC's WHOLE MAIN REASON. At least they can stick to programming, and accepting the right people for their artist alley to keep their convention, essentially, a comic con.

San Japan I fear, was headed in the wrong direction, for what it's name implies. And I was reassured, in a different thread, that this con was going to refocus. Because I think it should, because if it did, I believe we'd be competing against A-kon, soon enough...

C'MON GUYS. IT'S AN ANIME CON. IN 2007 YOU PEOPLE WOULD BE P/O'D UP A WALL FOR THIS. COME ON.

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:08 AM
anime VAs, video game VAs, comic convention, steampunk convention,etc doesnt matter really. All in all, it's about having fun and being with friends

Darth Sebastian
06-24-2012, 01:09 AM
anime VAs, video game VAs, doesnt matter really. All in all, it's about having fun and being with friends

I think you've good and well clarified that it doesn't matter to YOU, but it does to some other people, and there is nothing wrong with that, BY THE WAY.

Puritysan
06-24-2012, 01:11 AM
My point is that, yes, I'm upset at this. As these TF/Portal guests have nothing to do with what the con is.

And that is an anime con.

So. Yeah. I do care. And I think it does matter, if we wan't San JAPAN to stay SAN JAPAN.

And if anyone thinks I'm hating, because I have some personal vendetta, I don't. I love San Japan, and I'm proud to live in san antonio, home to a very large and popular ANIME CON. And I'd like to see it stay that way.

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:14 AM
In 2007, I was a Disney character at San-Japan. Also, in 2007, we had John Redcorn as a VA guest.

Anyways, I actually think San-Japan is a special case when it comes to the genre of anime conventions. It's main base is anime, but it's not shutting out everyone else. This is why SJ is the only anime can I go to. Friendly and accepting atmosphere. Whereas, most anime conventions (At least the ones I've attended.) have become too narrow minded and elitist from what my friends and myself have experienced.

I suggest you send a formal e-mail to Proz or the con's main e-mail if you feel it may be a problem for the convention. As for here, I think the topic is getting a little too off track.

Totakeke
06-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Wow. A couple big name guest brings a couple very vocal complainers.

I may not be a big fan of Portal or TF2, but I am very glad to have some diverse guests. How many times do you have to see the same VAs? If you are going to let that ruin your fun, you aren't wanting to have fun. There are a ton of guest I am uninterested in each year, but somebody appreciates the effort put in by the staff and Proz.

And lrn2tolerate others opinions is some good medicine the prescriber could take a dose of. RELAX. Don't do it.

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:19 AM
i'm gonna have fun at this year's San Japan, i dont know about y'all

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Oh I got it! If I happen upon a signing with Ms McLain, I'll have her sign my sister's Portal 2 game. My sister can't make it this year, so I hope that'll raise her spirits.

Puritysan
06-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Big name off topic guests.

There are 100s of anime and japanese video game va's we could have gotten. There's plenty of choice. PLENTY.

A few I think would appreciate an invite, even, since they've seemed to have just gotten buried with time. And it makes me sad. Especially with the revival of some things. Seriously.

But, whatever. I'll just take my vocal upset over a couple of guests elsewhere.

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Oh I got it! If I happen upon a signing with Ms McLain, I'll have her sign my sister's Portal 2 game. My sister can't make it this year, so I hope that'll raise her spirits.

i've seen some videos from conventions where McLain and her husband will gather some people and sing some of songs from Portal. Apparently her husband can play a banjo. Pretty well i might add

Dead Last
06-24-2012, 01:24 AM
i've seen some videos from conventions where McLain and her husband will gather some people and sing some of songs from Portal. Apparently her husband can play a banjo. Pretty well i might add

Ooooh! That would be something I would like to see. 8D

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Awww, that sounds so adorable! Hopefully, if such an event were to happen, someone will catch it on film this year.

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Should be fun ^^

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:27 AM
Hahaha, my mother just called me. Some of her co-workers were freaking out of happiness and they told her cause some video game character was coming to San Antonio. I was smirking and told her, "I know exactly who it is." XD

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:28 AM
Hahaha, my mother just called me. Some of her co-workers were freaking out of happiness and they told her cause some video game character was coming to San Antonio. I was smirking and told her, "I know exactly who it is." XD

hell yeah! XD

Totakeke
06-24-2012, 01:28 AM

That is actually pretty damned awesome.

Heck, if he is reading, I would let him on the stage with us any day. VGCB community unity!

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Now that I GOT to see, Totakeke!

Totakeke
06-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Well, we are planning to cover Still Alive. *cough cough, my arm has been officially twisted*

RedeadDie
06-24-2012, 01:33 AM
Oh snap! If I'm not half dead or working a panel, I'll try my best to see it!

illusion007
06-24-2012, 01:34 AM
ditto

Totakeke
06-24-2012, 01:40 AM
Thank you. I'm pretty excited, would love for some magical moments to happen this year.

happygoldfish
06-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Wooo!!! Well this is me right now: http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/thehappygoldfish/Avatars/dancinbender.gif

My day has been made, thank you Proz! One more for the heck of it:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m146/thehappygoldfish/Demotivational/funny-gifs-batman-approves.gif

lattin12
06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I didn't really kno her, but what you guys have said, I'm purdy excited to see her :)

DezzyDiamond
06-24-2012, 08:52 PM
This shall be epicness :-)

ezio auditore da firenze
06-24-2012, 09:53 PM
My point is that, yes, I'm upset at this. As these TF/Portal guests have nothing to do with what the con is.
And that is an anime con So. Yeah. I do care. And I think it does matter, if we wan't San JAPAN to stay SAN JAPAN.
And if anyone thinks I'm hating, because I have some personal vendetta, I don't. I love San Japan, and I'm proud to live in san antonio, home to a very large and popular ANIME CON. And I'd like to see it stay that way.

This post has touched me, as the way the flying spaghetti monster touched me with his noodly appendage. She is right, who does Proz think he is trying to grow the convention to include other forms of art and creativity in a place of celebration and admiration? This is absolutely unacceptable, we must stand up and fight for our right to a convention free of anyone that is even the slightest fraction different than ourselves! I mean who do they think they are, wanting to happily coexist and ejoy this culture in the same place? For shame! I vote we set up security scanners outside the convention doors to screen out all those vile video game fans( perhaps one that fires combustible lemons at them). Now as any effective cult does we must appoint a dictator, and, well they just don't make mad prophets the way they used to, so we should start work on a time machine to go back in time to pick up our very own lunatic( I wonder if I can talk Caesar into ruling a legion of nerdy future people). Finally we come to the critical point of how to fund our defenses in this dire situation, so I declare that we start a fundraiser to ship every game developer and fan alike to guantanamo bay. Now after much deliberation I have decided that we open lemonade stands across the united states... no the world, just think of all those nickels we would make!, but we can only do this with the help of readers like you. Please send any donations to www.welcometotheartoftrolling.win, and remeber kids... only you can prevent san japan from becoming its full potential.

Totakeke
06-24-2012, 11:09 PM
That earned you 100 points.

DezzyDiamond
06-24-2012, 11:13 PM
that was full of win

JessxMonster
06-25-2012, 01:38 AM
So much win XD

Yulcera
06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow. I'm like jumping up and down over here.
I'm a big fan of portal, and a HUGE fan of TF2, so this news really makes me happy lmao.

Tbh I'm more into games and comics than anime, so I'm really glad SJ is making an effort to introduce and include a variety of entertainment, while still having anime plentiful and readily available. As long as anime and Japanese-influenced programming is still in the forefront, I don't see how this is hurting anyone? Let us be excited over this kthanks.
First time in a long time I am truly ecstatic over meeting some VAs :D

RedeadDie
06-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Agreed, Yulcera. I started out with anime, but I've become a more video games and American comic book fan now these days. Seeing such epic VAs from my favorite video games make me very excited for SJ!

Puritysan
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
This post has touched me, as the way the flying spaghetti monster touched me with his noodly appendage. She is right, who does Proz think he is trying to grow the convention to include other forms of art and creativity in a place of celebration and admiration? This is absolutely unacceptable, we must stand up and fight for our right to a convention free of anyone that is even the slightest fraction different than ourselves! I mean who do they think they are, wanting to happily coexist and ejoy this culture in the same place? For shame! I vote we set up security scanners outside the convention doors to screen out all those vile video game fans( perhaps one that fires combustible lemons at them). Now as any effective cult does we must appoint a dictator, and, well they just don't make mad prophets the way they used to, so we should start work on a time machine to go back in time to pick up our very own lunatic( I wonder if I can talk Caesar into ruling a legion of nerdy future people). Finally we come to the critical point of how to fund our defenses in this dire situation, so I declare that we start a fundraiser to ship every game developer and fan alike to guantanamo bay. Now after much deliberation I have decided that we open lemonade stands across the united states... no the world, just think of all those nickels we would make!, but we can only do this with the help of readers like you. Please send any donations to www.welcometotheartoftrolling.win, and remeber kids... only you can prevent san japan from becoming its full potential.

Missed it.

Prepare for the arrow to the knee.

Dead Last
06-25-2012, 07:33 PM
*gets popcorn*

Darth Sebastian
06-25-2012, 07:39 PM
What a joke. I get it though. I was originally gonna say this forum's really changed if they openly allow little pricks like you to do your thing. But then I realized: I genuinely am able to make them mad. You, you're a pity case. Fail on, though, failtroll, because you aren't really the point here.

Anyway... Hopefully Proz is smart, I believe he is, but you guys are the forum's vocal majority and you still don't get it. So, I'm officially done. My fiancee still cares but I'm just done. If you don't wanna get it I certainly can't stop you.

ezio auditore da firenze
06-25-2012, 08:10 PM
What a joke. I get it though. I was originally gonna say this forum's really changed if they openly allow little pricks like you to do your thing. But then I realized: I genuinely am able to make them mad. You, you're a pity case. Fail on, though, failtroll, because you aren't really the point here.

awww, your just saying that to be nice. It truly warms my heart to see that we can all get along like one big defective family.

ezio auditore da firenze
06-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Missed it.

Prepare for the arrow to the knee.

problem?

lattin12
06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm excited :) she's an Opera singer too :) I'm very excited to meet her now

ErazDod
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Since I got Portal 2 for my birthday, and since she's coming to the convention, I have even more reason to play that game and re-immerse myself in the Portal universe.

ezio auditore da firenze
06-25-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm excited :) she's an Opera singer too :) I'm very excited to meet her now

really? I didn't know she could do that, she has a good voice, but I didn't envision an opera singer as well.

Blitzkrieg
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I honestly don't care if they are a VA for a game or anime.
If they have talent and they're not a total douche like some of the past visitors, then fine.
I'm pretty excited about this.
Hopefully we can get some more different and unique celebrities to come. It definitely would draw in a bigger crowd and more fans.

YoSoyJaponesa~
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Never played Portal, but I'm still excited. :D

Yulcera
06-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Agreed, Yulcera. I started out with anime, but I've become a more video games and American comic book fan now these days. Seeing such epic VAs from my favorite video games make me very excited for SJ!

exactly! now where's the like button when I need it

JessxMonster
06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
exactly! now where's the like button when I need it

Words taken right out of my mouth. . .err, mind. Lol.

JessxMonster
06-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Now the bigger issue. . .what do I get them to sign?

illusion007
06-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Now the bigger issue. . .what do I get them to sign?

get them to sign your boobs

ezio auditore da firenze
06-26-2012, 12:06 AM
get them to sign your boobs

Good idea, after all this will be a classy affair.

pyramidheadgirl
06-26-2012, 02:01 AM
But Jess doesnt have boobs remember XD

SquidgyGal
06-26-2012, 09:17 AM
really? I didn't know she could do that, she has a good voice, but I didn't envision an opera singer as well.

Mhm..End of Portal 2, she's singing "Mia Cara" aka "The Turret Opera"

DezzyDiamond
06-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Good idea, after all this will be a classy affair.

You're lucky i am not jealous lol but i take it i need mine signed?

pyramidheadgirl
06-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Me and dez shall sign each others boobs XD

DezzyDiamond
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Me and dez shall sign each others boobs XD

Perfect:-)

sergiorex12
06-26-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm laughing out loud at how bad at trolling or out of whack the people who are whining about this are. The fact of the matter is san japan is a conventions that unites tons of people with varying levels of nerdum. I have been to every Sj and zero day anime like i'm sure plenty have. Getting voice actors for anything that can increase interest in the con should be a good thing so we can keep growing. I love san japan and I want to see it grow bigger and stronger every year. We shouldn't have to fight or complain because there will be so much to do at the con so what if your not interested in somethings. Every block has something for someone to enjoy. If your part of this board you should be cheering at the fact SJ got more big names so that we have a future where anything is possible.

Proz
06-27-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm just going to leave this here for the several detractors saying VG V.A.s shouldn't be at an anime con because they're not accepted at other conventions or other fandoms shouldn't cross-pollinate anime cons and stay pure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M--M4t0VIP0&feature=player_embedded

BTW, this is from one of the biggest anime cons in the country.

lattin12
06-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm just going to leave this here for the several detractors saying VG V.A.s shouldn't be at an anime con because they're not accepted at other conventions or other fandoms shouldn't cross-pollinate anime cons and stay pure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M--M4t0VIP0&feature=player_embedded

BTW, this is from one of the biggest anime cons in the country.

That is a cool video ^^

RedeadDie
06-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I've seen that skit a while back and I still really love it!

OH! If I get a chance too, I want to ask Ellen McLain how she felt about voicing a special Portal proposal for "The Gary Hudston Project." This video made me love her even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAoEzP9_uNo

J-tective
06-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow. I'm like jumping up and down over here.
I'm a big fan of portal, and a HUGE fan of TF2, so this news really makes me happy lmao.

Tbh I'm more into games and comics than anime, so I'm really glad SJ is making an effort to introduce and include a variety of entertainment, while still having anime plentiful and readily available. As long as anime and Japanese-influenced programming is still in the forefront, I don't see how this is hurting anyone? Let us be excited over this kthanks.
First time in a long time I am truly ecstatic over meeting some VAs :D

Exactly! Man, I really don't give two ****s about anime. I only go to the anime conventions because there's HARDLY any video game/comic conventions if at all in Texas. And that's the only reason I do go, which is for the video games and good ol' American comics. All of you Narutards need to STFU. Let us gamers have something to enjoy. Besides, a majority of anime cons do in fact have MORE amime than video games so it's not like we're stepping all over your asses with it. Stop your *****ing about it. No one's forcing you to go see any of the VG-VAs, no one's forcing you to look at the booths with video games and comics. Plus, American video games are incredibly beautiful and innovative. VALVE is exactly that. Innovative and resourceful. If anything, John and Ellen have every right to be here! I can't believe there are people here who are so closed minded and engulfed with animoo and don't want/appreciate ANY diversity as far as cultures go. If you love animoo so much, just fly to Japan then! I'm sure all the Japanese will welcome your fat ass fan girl ways. In fact, that's the only reason I'm coming down to SanJapan so I can meet my favorite VGVAs. You guys have your stuff and over 80% of the convention floor and anime based cons in Texas already. Don't get so butt hurt over two people who are not anime/Japanese based that are coming to SanJapan. BTW, there's no way that every anime convention (no anime convention at all) is STRICTLY just anime. There will always be some comic and video game vendors at every one. Get over yourselves. It's not like gamers and comic fans are ruining your time. Looks like you'll just have to...

http://derp.co.uk/2bd6e

Proz
08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Live concert confirmed this evening. Will be Friday night, 7:30-8:30pm in Main Events (Grand Hyatt 4th Floor)

japester
08-05-2012, 11:49 PM
This is great news! I was hoping the teased concert would be Mrs. McLain. Willl her husband be joining her? Or is it all Ellen, as per the title?

Proz
08-06-2012, 01:13 AM
This is great news! I was hoping the teased concert would be Mrs. McLain. Willl her husband be joining her? Or is it all Ellen, as per the title?

We don't know at this point. Guess we'll all have to attend to find out.

japester
08-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Good enough. I'll be there with bells on!

squidflakes
08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
why not quinton flynn? or tara strong? david hayter?

Because as native Japanese speakers, the people you mentioned above have a difficult time dealing with conventions in America. ;P

Seriously though, that's a bit concern with Japanese guests. One, the language barrier. Ever try to deal with Nabushin at a con? He was supposed to guest host Hentai Fest with me at Anime Matsuri but he didn't feel comfortable doing it because he had to run everything through his translator first, and while she was pretty good conversationally and had a good academic grasp of English, she wasn't good with idioms and slang.

Plus, flying people overseas for a weekend is an incredible expensive, not to mention physically and mentally exhausting, exercise. Even only going as far in to the Pacific as Hawaii from Texas makes you want to sleep the whole day after your flight.

Also, I'm pretty tired of seeing the same guests at cons. You can only stand yet another Chris Ayers/Vic McNignog panel so many times. I'm glad we're getting more diverse talent, be it from video games, movies, music, what have you.

japester
08-07-2012, 09:13 PM
You are 100% correct about the difficulty and expense of hosting Japanese guests...but those same challenges apply to all the cons that do manage to secure such talent. And San Japan is not a small con any more. Each year I keep hoping they'll surprise me with a really big name. Then again, if the fans are happy with the talent they are booking, and it's more financially prudent, then it's just good business to avoid the bigger guests.

I do find it odd that you'd say you're tired of Ayers/Vic since the Ayers brothers and their usual crew are attending again. They are staples of SJ. They are the nicest people you could ever meet, but I can't count how many cons I've seen them at. Many, many. Whereas I've seen Vic just once. I wouldn't mind seeing him again, just for variety.

Personally, I'm delighted to meet Ms. McLain. I'm a gamer. And I was over the moon when Michael Sinterniklaas attended a couple of years ago. But maybe if SJ blows the doors off the convention center with 10k guest or more, we can have a poll or something for guests next year. The booking agent can figure out how much $$$ they have to work with and say, "Do you want one or two expensive guests from this list? Or several guests from the usual pool of talent?" That might be nice. :) I kind of miss the days where every con had a Monkey Punch, Akitaroh Daichi, and Hiroki Hayashi. And these were events with 2k-4k attendees.

Puritysan
08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
But the funimation pool is larger than that (not that I don't love Chris and Greg), I mean, there's Eric Vale (anyone who's anyone in Hetalia, and I know some people would be ecstatic to have those people as guests)... isn't there like over 200 people working at FUNI? o__O

And don't most of them live in texas?
The only ones I know that live in Cali (heard) are Vic, Michele, Travis and Laura.

japester
08-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Ah, see, that's a good point. I didn't consider any corporate associations. I think the con that had Tenchi Muyo's creator was partially funded by Pioneer, which explains how they got him. We're certainly lucky here in Texas--not a lot of places outside of Cali or NY have anime houses. And the Texas studios seem staffed by very personable folks. Not a nasty apple in the bunch.

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but as an old dog, I find the changing landscape of anime fandom fascinating. I'm keenly aware that tastes and demographics have changed tremendously. I went from being an outsider, to an insider, to an outsider again. LOL. It's come full circle. And watching a con like SJ grow up from nothing has been full of surprises to say the least. I can't say I understand it all, but you can't argue with success, eh?

Puritysan
08-08-2012, 12:16 AM
<~always outsider.

I'm always 2 years too late, with things. Though sometimes I discover something relatively new. But it's usually subtitled, and not worth the time wishing for VA's or creators and anything industry or whatever. :Y

rofl

Ushiko
08-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Ah, see, that's a good point. I didn't consider any corporate associations. I think the con that had Tenchi Muyo's creator was partially funded by Pioneer, which explains how they got him.
Just for reference, if you're referring to Hitoshi Okuda (mangaka for Tenchi Muyo) and his appearance at Ushicon in 2005, there were no corporate associations, funding or sponsorships involved in that appearance. If you were referring to some American appearance by Masaki Kajishima or some other Tenchi person, then I apologize for the mistake and have no idea. ;)

Also, for the record, Mr. Okuda is an INCREDIBLY friendly and generous guy and he should TOTALLY come back to Texas sometime.

japester
08-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Sorry, Ushiko, we have our wires crossed. I was referring to Sakura Con, which I staffed during it's early years. And since I'm a cel collector, when I refer to creators I usually mean video. You are correct that manga almost always precedes video, but I was referencing Hiroki Hayashi, who co-created the OVA. I've never met Mr. Okuda, but I'm sure he's got a great personality based off the wonderful Tenchi series. :biggrin: Tenchi comprises the bulk of my collection.

I'm sorry I missed his Ushicon appearance. I've never attended that con. Glad to see it's back in some form.

And I'm still very excited about seeing Ms. McLain! LOL

Ushiko
08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
No worries, I didn't realize Mr. Hayashi had come to the US at one point, that must have been really neat. I stopped by Mr. Kajishima's circle one year at Comiket (he's STILL putting out Tenchi Muyo universe stories, it's crazy). In Tenchi Muyo's case, the anime did come first, but sometimes people don't know that so I wasn't sure. Anyway, random Tenchi trivia over. :D