PDA

View Full Version : Formal Dance/Masquerade

zutarian
11-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Hey, Proz~ Will we have another Masquerade? The first one was superb! And much better than A-kon's <3 I loved leading the random conga line, too.

Jay
11-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey, Proz~ Will we have another Masquerade? The first one was superb! And much better than A-kon's <3 I loved leading the random conga line, too.

We will have another masquerade hosted once again by MEK. This year though in a bigger room.

zutarian
11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
We will have another masquerade hosted once again by MEK. This year though in a bigger room.

Awh yeah! Looking forward to it!!

lattin12
12-31-2010, 09:34 AM

Is SJ gunna hold a dance lesson panel again? Cuz it was a blast helping teach everyone different dances.

Jay
12-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Is SJ gunna hold a dance lesson panel again? Cuz it was a blast helping teach everyone different dances.

I havent had anything submitted yet but yes i am.

lattin12
01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I havent had anything submitted yet but yes i am.

Yea I'm excited. :)

Bloods Mistress
01-08-2011, 11:03 AM
For the masque, and i know this is a bit early.
Please have music that is danceable. The person who picked them out last time used mainly movie or movie esque songs, which are not good dance songs as they change tempo and such often. While thats okay at a rave, ballroom dancing is very structured
I had many people with me who have spent YEARS in formal dance classes and they found it VERY hard to dance to the music

AnastasiaVon
01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
For the masque, and i know this is a bit early.
Please have music that is danceable. The person who picked them out last time used mainly movie or movie esque songs, which are not good dance songs as they change tempo and such often. While thats okay at a rave, ballroom dancing is very structured
I had many people with me who have spent YEARS in formal dance classes and they found it VERY hard to dance to the music

Omg agreed. D: It was a pain and none of the songs i even recognized. :/ :confused: So i just stayed outside where I could breathe...another thing...it seemed the music wasn't up like at all. :/ It was sort of quiet. :p I'll attend again!! :DDDD

Blitzkrieg
01-09-2011, 07:11 AM
I'm going.
Though I'm not sure if my mask will be acceptable since its not all fancy but,
I'll be there either way.

Proz
01-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Okay, I talked to the people of MEK behind the Masquerade and they did decide on a theme and will be working on the updated rules at some point. I did discuss the part about songs being 'danceable' and they were a bit mirth by this reaction so here's what I need everyone who is voicing this complaint to do:

Post very specific examples of what you mean by 'danceable'. Link/Upload to MP3s, YouTube videos, and actual examples. It is possible on these forums, take advantage of it.

If you want to us to help you make a better experience then you have to help us. Very broad examples of genres of music that you'd like to see/hear does not help either. Show us the tempo/style that you want.

Saying "You're Doing It Wrong" isn't helping.

RedeadDie
01-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Might I suggest a song that's really formal and lovely to ballroom dance to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ

lattin12
01-10-2011, 09:05 AM
I personally think the music was fine for the most part. The covered everything from cha-cha, tengo, waltz, swing, mamba, and rumba. All of them are ballroom dancing, we just didn't cover them all in the dance lessons. Most people didn't know the dances so didn't dance, we can hopefully cover more types of dance this year in the lessons so people can dance to all the songs....

MeWindyCharms
01-10-2011, 05:03 PM
I personally think the music was fine for the most part. The covered everything from cha-cha, tengo, waltz, swing, mamba, and rumba. All of them are ballroom dancing, we just didn't cover them all in the dance lessons. Most people didn't know the dances so didn't dance, we can hopefully cover more types of dance this year in the lessons so people can dance to all the songs....

The dance panel was one of my favorite things in San Japan. I look forward to it this year! :) Maybe you could use music from the masquerade playlist. Idk if you did that last year too, I only stayed at the masquerade for 5 minutes (poor cosplay choice for dancing on my part). Personally, I liked keeping things simple with just the waltz and swing. There was plenty of time to practice, ask questions, and review. All in all, ya'll could've even picked a third dance to show us (not that I didn't enjoy learning Bad Romance IMMENSLEY >:]) I think people just need to choose songs with a waltz or swing pulse conducive to what they learned at the dancing panel.

On that note, this song is an awesome waltz song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oewp-s_4wZQ

Edit: Even though it's an anime convention, I'd include some mainstream music. I'll be looking at Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance for specific ballroom songs.

RedeadDie
01-10-2011, 06:01 PM
^

I'd like to hear that song too at the Masquerade too.

MeWindyCharms
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
This is for the lovely people running the dance panel. I don't know if this is queer or anything, but it would be awesome if you assigned guy friends to ask girls to dance at the masquerade. By assigned I mean you nicely asked some good guy friends if they would be cool with this favor. My sister went to the masquerade last year and she ended up asking a guys and a bunch of girls if they wanted to dance if they had been standing to the side.

And yes, I am talking about specifically placing gentlemen in the masquerade whose soul purpose is to ask girls to dance. :) While I feel this should be the responsibility of ALL young men in attendance, it often does not happen this way.

Ummm of course this is only a suggestion if you have the resources and time to find some willing guys. I realize this is an odd request. XD I am working on the assumption (dangerous, I know) since ya'll know how to waltz, swing dance, etc. you've probably had a guy partner who may or may not be a friend and willing to ask girls to dance at San Japan's masquerade.

Pffft or you could make an announcement to people to bring friends willing to ask others to dance. That's easy too.

Edit: I would like to clarify I do not think it is any way, shape, or form your responsibility to find us dance partners. People need to stop being wallflowers. This is me brainstorming in a very long-winded manner. XD

alycan16
01-10-2011, 10:14 PM
i cant wait to buy my mask!

lattin12
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
The dance panel was one of my favorite things in San Japan. I look forward to it this year! :) Maybe you could use music from the masquerade playlist. Idk if you did that last year too, I only stayed at the masquerade for 5 minutes (poor cosplay choice for dancing on my part). Personally, I liked keeping things simple with just the waltz and swing. There was plenty of time to practice, ask questions, and review. All in all, ya'll could've even picked a third dance to show us (not that I didn't enjoy learning Bad Romance IMMENSLEY >:]) I think people just need to choose songs with a waltz or swing pulse conducive to what they learned at the dancing panel.

On that note, this song is an awesome waltz song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oewp-s_4wZQ

Edit: Even though it's an anime convention, I'd include some mainstream music. I'll be looking at Dancing With the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance for specific ballroom songs.
Yeah I felt the same way, that's why I sat on the side and watched everyone else learn the lady ga-ga song... I actually taught some boys how to do the cha-cha at the masquerade itself. I'm hoping we can teach more dances because the Tango, cha-cha, and rumba are relatively easy steps and you can make up your own moves with them :)

lattin12
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
lol sorry about pulling the double whammy.... I was thinking if we teach mumba at the dance lesson this year, you can have music from the Dirty Dancing movie (the Patrick Swazey one)... It's actually one of the first ballroom dances I've learned, purdy easy, much more than the waltz is...

MeWindyCharms
01-10-2011, 10:56 PM
lol sorry about pulling the double whammy.... I was thinking if we teach mumba at the dance lesson this year, you can have music from the Dirty Dancing movie (the Patrick Swazey one)... It's actually one of the first ballroom dances I've learned, purdy easy, much more than the waltz is...

That's BALLer!

Ooooooooo I do love the opportunity for a good pun!

lattin12
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
That's BALLer!

Ooooooooo I do love the opportunity for a good pun!

lol puns are great :D

ChibiBritt
01-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Hiya!

Public Relations and general go to girl for Mu Epsilon Kappa here!

I get the feeling you guys are excited about the masquerade? Well I have some helpful info for you all!

- Good news! The masq. has been moved to a new room! We will be moving to a bigger and better room. As nice as the San Antonio sky line was...the outside area made it way too humid for people in formal attire! A/C all the way yo!

- We have picked a theme for the masq. All I can say is that it will be a fusion of traditional and non-traditional. If things work out as planned, it will be quite awesome. It also fits with this years SJ theme.

- We are currently tweaking the rules for this year. They should be posted within the next week or two. There will be a strict dress code and we WILL stick to it. Signs will posted outside the room all day as well as in the forums and the website.

- I am the person in charge of music for the dance. While I realize there were a few unhappy people last year, I had tons and tons of compliments for music choices. That being said, I learned a lot from last year. I will be posting a thread soon for music suggestions which will remain open for a time. Once closed I will begin work on the playlist. I intend to have enough ready ahead of time so those running the dance panels will have access to the various dance genres planned.

No worries everyone, we have never ignored your comments or suggestions.

We will do our best to answer as many questions as you have. Feel free to PM me or post in the forums.

lattin12
01-11-2011, 08:55 AM
- I am the person in charge of music for the dance. While I realize there were a few unhappy people last year, I had tons and tons of compliments for music choices. That being said, I learned a lot from last year. I will be posting a thread soon for music suggestions which will remain open for a time. Once closed I will begin work on the playlist. I intend to have enough ready ahead of time so those running the dance panels will have access to the various dance genres planned.

That's awesome :)... Graci aplenea (thank you in Italian, just can't spell)

RedeadDie
01-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh! Thank you so much! Let us know when you post up the suggestion thread!

KittyAnne7152
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
- We are currently tweaking the rules for this year. They should be posted within the next week or two. There will be a strict dress code and we WILL stick to it. Signs will posted outside the room all day as well as in the forums and the website.

I'm assuming this means that this year I'll have to find a different costume because of my converse? X'D
Ha, that was the only complaint I actually had last year, that the idea of wearing high tops with a tuxedo was apparently quite appalling. After I had cleared it ahead of time I actually had two people tell me I was out of dress code, one of them being the checker at the front door. I felt awkward. ^^;

But that aside (I'm just being silly really, I'm wearing something else this year), I enjoyed myself and can't wait for this years! Hopefully I'll find more people to dance with this year. And awesome to the new room!

RedeadDie
01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm assuming this means that this year I'll have to find a different costume because of my converse? X'D
Ha, that was the only complaint I actually had last year, that the idea of wearing high tops with a tuxedo was apparently quite appalling. After I had cleared it ahead of time I actually had two people tell me I was out of dress code, one of them being the checker at the front door. I felt awkward. ^^;

But that aside (I'm just being silly really, I'm wearing something else this year), I enjoyed myself and can't wait for this years! Hopefully I'll find more people to dance with this year. And awesome to the new room!O.O Nearly forgot about dress code.

I asuming my Austria cosplay is formal enough. It's very Victorian and Elisbethan period looking imo. *tis worried now* @.@

ChibiBritt
01-11-2011, 09:23 PM
The dress code rules should be pretty close to last year. We are just going back and making things a bit more clear.

RedeadDie
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Ah okies! This is good then!

Peachy
01-14-2011, 01:33 AM
A note on masks. I wear specs, and the two deal breakers for me are (1) that they go over my glasses, and (2) they be half masks (cover the upper half of my face). The reason for (2) is so that my breath isn't trapped inside and fogging my vision. Bad enough my peripheral vision gets shot, I don't need blindness on top of that.

ChibiBritt
01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
We do have rules about masks, but we usually suggest those with glasses try using a stick mask.

Blitzkrieg
01-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Would this outfit and mask be acceptable (only I won't have a sax with me):

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/jessi_chan/The_Fragrance_of_Dark_Coffee_by_KaZzu.jpg

I might be wearing that.
Otherwise, I might just wear my original outfit for Godot (which will be a dress shirt, vest, slacks, and dress shoes. Refer to my signature for picture).

RedeadDie
01-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Would this outfit and mask be acceptable (only I won't have a sax with me):

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/jessi_chan/The_Fragrance_of_Dark_Coffee_by_KaZzu.jpg

I might be wearing that.
Otherwise, I might just wear my original outfit for Godot (which will be a dress shirt, vest, slacks, and dress shoes. Refer to my signature for picture).
*flails* Omg...that'd be so epical to see!

SweetlyDemented
01-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Ooh wait; When will the Masquerade Dance take place? As in which day?

Jay
01-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Ooh wait; When will the Masquerade Dance take place? As in which day?

As of now, we are planning for it for Friday night.

Blitzkrieg
01-15-2011, 09:09 PM
*flails* Omg...that'd be so epical to see!

UGH CRAP.
If they are planning for Friday then I may not be wearing this, unless thats what day the Trial is on.
Then again, I really don't have anything set in place for Friday, so I could just change into Godot for that.

Jay
01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
UGH CRAP.
If they are planning for Friday then I may not be wearing this, unless thats what day the Trial is on.
Then again, I really don't have anything set in place for Friday, so I could just change into Godot for that.

ill try my best to have Trial on Friday. cant promise anything of course. Cause my biggest concen is balancing and making the Host club, and Summit and Trial balanced and figuring out how to put Dies Upteen other panels in there and her not die doing all them (ha i made a funny.)

Blitzkrieg
01-16-2011, 01:17 PM
ill try my best to have Trial on Friday. cant promise anything of course. Cause my biggest concen is balancing and making the Host club, and Summit and Trial balanced and figuring out how to put Dies Upteen other panels in there and her not die doing all them (ha i made a funny.)

Well its not a problem either way for me.
I'll have a hotel room, so I can easily change.
I really don't want Die to die.

docsven
01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Might I suggest a song that's really formal and lovely to ballroom dance to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTozgoj9OQ

I like that! Been some time since a group has made me listen a few times. Great vid./DOC

docsven
01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
This is for the lovely people running the dance panel. I don't know if this is queer or anything, but it would be awesome if you assigned guy friends to ask girls to dance at the masquerade. By assigned I mean you nicely asked some good guy friends if they would be cool with this favor. My sister went to the masquerade last year and she ended up asking a guys and a bunch of girls if they wanted to dance if they had been standing to the side.

And yes, I am talking about specifically placing gentlemen in the masquerade whose soul purpose is to ask girls to dance. :) While I feel this should be the responsibility of ALL young men in attendance, it often does not happen this way.

Ummm of course this is only a suggestion if you have the resources and time to find some willing guys. I realize this is an odd request. XD I am working on the assumption (dangerous, I know) since ya'll know how to waltz, swing dance, etc. you've probably had a guy partner who may or may not be a friend and willing to ask girls to dance at San Japan's masquerade.

Pffft or you could make an announcement to people to bring friends willing to ask others to dance. That's easy too.

Edit: I would like to clarify I do not think it is any way, shape, or form your responsibility to find us dance partners. People need to stop being wallflowers. This is me brainstorming in a very long-winded manner. XD

BUT WAIT. That is a great idea. Think about it. We get some people that are very good at dancing and we have a small talent pool to help things along you know dancing and keeping the dancing flow going. Maybe even showing a few steps or two. Kinda like a dance crew. What you suggested was very common for dances and shows to do this. I think it is something to look into./DOC

SweetlyDemented
01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
I really like MeWindyCharms' idea :P Maybe you should even recruit a few girls for those shy boys that need a little push ;D

RedeadDie
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
ill try my best to have Trial on Friday. cant promise anything of course. Cause my biggest concen is balancing and making the Host club, and Summit and Trial balanced and figuring out how to put Dies Upteen other panels in there and her not die doing all them (ha i made a funny.)What're you talking about? I plan on dieing twenty times over until I'm roadkill at SJ so bring it!

MeWindyCharms
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
what're you talking about? I plan on dieing twenty times over until i'm roadkill at sj so bring it!

lol Die says "BRING THE PAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIN!"

mindtailor
01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Sorry for making you feel awkward, I didn't realize it was you. Monitoring the door was a lot more stressful than expected, so it was hard for me to recognize people. I do remember getting a curt 'I was already approved' when I pointed out your converse weren't as shiny and clean as we had previously discussed, though.

KittyAnne7152
01-19-2011, 03:30 PM
It's quite all right, I was only joking, really.

zenb
02-06-2011, 11:49 PM
How formal is formal? Like something you would wear to a prom or wedding? :confused:

Proz
02-07-2011, 12:42 AM
How formal is formal? Like something you would wear to a prom or wedding? :confused:

Basically.

INVEESABLE
02-07-2011, 03:15 AM
Are we allowed to wear formal Kimono's?

Peachy
02-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Are we allowed to wear formal Kimono's?

I'd imagine so.

ChibiBritt
02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Hiya!

Sorry it's taking so long with the rules and such. mindtailor and I (mostly her) had to put together an emergency costume contest for a DFW con. The original person in charge was hospitalized so they called us in! Our focus was on that con, but we should be able to focus on SJ again.

Hold tight and thanks for understanding!

ezio auditore da firenze
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I plan on cosplaying as ezio from assassin's creed 2, and there is a scene in the game were he attends a masquerade in his normal outfit and a gold mask, would this be allowed for the dance/masquerade?

http://www.cartaalta.com/venetian_masks/img/eyemasks/variante47.jpg
http://www.cosplaypub.com/210-28-large/assassins-creed-ii-ezio-cosplay.jpg

zenb
02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
do we have to dance with a guy??? my bf cant make up his mind whether he is or isnt going so it might just be me and my friend....and i was wondering if there is any rule against two girls or two guys dancing.

Peachy
02-28-2011, 10:37 PM
do we have to dance with a guy??? my bf cant make up his mind whether he is or isnt going so it might just be me and my friend....and i was wondering if there is any rule against two girls or two guys dancing.

As far as I know, there's no such rule.

zenb
03-02-2011, 10:48 PM
As far as I know, there's no such rule.

Kay then thanks :)

ChibiBritt
03-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Rules are now posted. (http://www.san-japan.org/forum/showthread.php?281-Official-SJ-Formal-Dance-Masquerade-Rules-and-Info)

Pinkpoogleh
07-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi, I see that it was mentioned that those with glasses should simply just have a stick mask. What if we don't want a stick mask?

Last year, I asked if I could wear a make-up mask, and that was approved. It was black cream make-up that I applied to look like I was wearing a mask, then put on my glasses over it.

Will this still be okay?

ChibiBritt
07-22-2011, 12:03 AM
That would be fine. We don't mind painted on mask as long as effort is put into them.

Jay
07-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Closing Thread, Please use the Official Masquerade Thread.