PDA

View Full Version : Cosplay Problems?

SweetlyDemented
01-14-2011, 12:46 PM
By that, I mean to ask: Is there anything about you that makes it/has made it hard to cosplay a particular character? Let me give an example: If I pull through with my Ciel cosplay, I know my knee scars will have to be covered up with a VERY thick layer of make up. I've never been happy to admit the fact that I'm very clumsy, but I never thought it'd get in the way of my cosplaying =_=

Blitzkrieg
01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
My big problem: My boobs.
For what cosplay: ALL OF THEM.

Luckily my binder will be here soon.

SweetlyDemented
01-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Boobs are indeed a problem.

[...Never thought I'd say something like that...]

But male cosplays are so awesome ;-; They're more appealing to me, anyway.

EDIT: Do you mind me asking what type of binder you're getting, exactly?

KittyAnne7152
01-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Problem?
Height. Not that I really care especially, it's just something that will always make me a little sad on the inside...
This is generally for the Tenth Doctor, the other's I don't especially care. I guess because David Tennant is an actual person with an actual height that's harder to fudge. And one entire foot is fudging it quite a bit.

DaRk-x-sMiLe
01-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Wearing glasses and not being able to afford contacts T_T

KittyAnne7152
01-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Wearing glasses and not being able to afford contacts T_T

Don't feel bad about it, my cosplay partner Robyn ALWAYS has to wear her glasses. She just takes them off for pictures usually...
And when she forgets to, nobody is really too fussed about it.

Yulcera
01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
I remember when I was first starting out, I use think that my skin color (I'm black btw) would be a huge problem for me, since the type of characters I liked to cosplay tended to literally be THE whitest characters of the series. And though I loathe to admit it, for a period of time I wished I wasn't black cuz I thought I wouldn't be able to do all of the things i wanted to do (cosplay not neccessarily the only one).
But since then i met other people who reassured me that I could cosplay whoever I want, skin color be damned, and lol, I'm kind of taking that idea and running with it so to speak. ^^

Present problems though? I'd have to say when I cosplay anyone with heels, it hurts like HELL cuz I have flat feet DX

Stocking Anarchy
01-14-2011, 07:01 PM
My biggest problem? I'm overweight, so I feel like that'll get in the way, and I can't really find a diet that'll help me lose really quickly. =.=
So I pretty much just hope that people won't judge on size and move on...also, the boobs thing? Yeah, it's a problem for me too...

lattin12
01-14-2011, 10:08 PM
My biggest problem? I'm overweight, so I feel like that'll get in the way, and I can't really find a diet that'll help me lose really quickly. =.=
So I pretty much just hope that people won't judge on size and move on...also, the boobs thing? Yeah, it's a problem for me too...

No one will judge... All diets take awhile to start losing the weight, I would just keep with one, with pleanty of excercise, up til the convention and you'll feel more confident in your costume.:)

Yulcera
01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
No one will judge... All diets take awhile to start losing the weight, I would just keep with one, with pleanty of excercise, up til the convention and you'll feel more confident in your costume.:)

Exactly.
@Stocking You find that most people don't really care about size. Hell, if you're costume looks good, and/or I like the character, then your getting your picture taken, and a lot of people do have this mindset. So, no worries!

SweetlyDemented
01-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Problem?
Height. Not that I really care especially, it's just something that will always make me a little sad on the inside...
This is generally for the Tenth Doctor, the other's I don't especially care. I guess because David Tennant is an actual person with an actual height that's harder to fudge. And one entire foot is fudging it quite a bit.

I can totally relate, hah hah. Specially when you want to cosplay in a group (for example, you don't want Edward to be taller than Roy and Winry.) In my case though, I'm too short: 5'3. It works out with petite characters such as Ciel Phamtomhive or Yuuki Cross, but... When you're thinking about cosplaying someone tall... You probably have to invest in some tall shoes XD That, or just not give a damn about it XDDD

KittyAnne7152
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
It worked out fine for Vince and Howard, but when I'm the Doctor, all of my companions are taller than me, and that's just wrong! XD

SweetlyDemented
01-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Hey sometimes inaccuracies in height are good for the lolz. But I think that as long as the cosplays are good, height shouldn't be too much of a problem. At least, it shouldn't be a priority O:

Yuuto
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
What Sweetly Demented said! Trufax
With height problems most of the time you can buy shoes to make you taller. (but they can be super costly sometimes) Or wear clothes that give the illusion of being taller. (Like horizontal striped shirts or pin stripes, stay away from 'cheese cloth' patterns)
If it is just mainly a problem when taking photos, you can get the other characters to crouch a little in the knees, or kneel and such. It can give the illusion of making others seem taller or making the who is crouching seem shorter.
I think most of the time others really won't care too much and for me, if I see like a 'short' person cosplaying someone taller I think "aww.. It's a chibi <insert name here>"

KittyAnne7152
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I already wear inserts in my shoes to make myself an inch or two taller, so I can be 5'1" as opposed to 4'11".
As I already said, it doesn't so much bother me, I'm just slightly sad that I'm the "Tiny Doctor."
Seriously, I don't really care. XD

DezzyDiamond
01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
well with me its a few things
boobs=make it hard to fit cosplays right since my waist is like a 0-2.
Stretchmarks~have em on my thigh a bit cuz i used to be pudgy as a kid and suddlenly lost alot of wieght. You can't really see im cuz they faded out but i am still selfconcious
Acne~ scars on face make me uber self concious and its hard to cover up at times without it looking cakey.

Shortness is my advantage! i loves it!

Azalia
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Mine is my arms D: I have flabby arms, but I think if I started lifting weights to make the area more tight, and muscular, I think it'll look better. I also have the weight issue, but a lot of people tell me I look a lot thinner then the weight I actually am. I just need to start exercising more, and lifting weights. I wanna get down to at least a size 14 lol. even though it's still considered plus size, its better then being a size 22 D:

Another big problem I thought would be was skin color D: but people will just have to deal with that! no one's perfect! lol

AnastasiaVon
03-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Mine is acne. :/ I may be 17 but i still look like im 12... I have really bad acne and can't seem to get rid of it. Oh! And i have to pick chibi characters because I really do look like a 3rd grader. (no joke)

SweetlyDemented
03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
@AnastasiaVon/DezzyDiamond: You could try different make up products and see which covers it up better. Some make up products have special minerals that are supposed to help your skin look better; I don't remember any names of products at the moment, but you could look into it and see if it works :3

@Azalia: I wanna make my arms look more muscular too :/ It's something I'm going to try to fix before SJ.

I was talking to my friend the other day, and here's a problem she ran into that I never considered: dark-colored eyes. She said she had gone and bought some red contacts off the internet, and when they arrived they just didn't show up well enough. O: I never gave it much thought, but I suppose that's another problem cosplayers can run into ;C

Yuuto
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
@ DezzyDiamond and AnastasiaVon: You could try the neutrogena skin clearing blemish concealer, like the one I have. (It's like $8 at Target, I think) It helps with acne and like bags under the eyes, but it also has medicine in it so it covers up the problem areas while healing them. It seems to work pretty well for me. =o It is the only thing that works for me, I had bought that proactive junk and it made my skin really dry and irritated. It only really works for certain types of skin.

RedeadDie
03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
-Breasts
-Thick thighs that never trim down.
-Flabby upper arms.
-Curvey figure.
-Too tall at times.
-Hard to do a deep voice for myself.
-Try not to wear glasses with cosplay, but sometimes I have no money leftover for contacts.
-Random breakouts on face.
-Hate sweat to the MAX! So if I have to wear a cosplay or binder more than once in a weekend, I'll flip out/freak out a bit. (Sometimes I bring landry soap and hand wash cosplays in the tub at the hotel.)
-Try my best, but because I never wear make-up outside of a con, I suck at cosplay make-up.

IsaxxSaix
06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
for me, my biggest problem is the fact that the character, Isa, his jacket is really, really hard to make. I've tried twice to make it. the first time I had to scrap it because it didn't have enough fabric (school fabric) and the second time, the blue bands down the arms were just really hard to make. D: I'm debating whether or not to commission someone here in SA to make it. I'm horrid with Jackets. Pants and dresses and shirts i'm dandy with, but jackets hate me LOL.