YES there will.

DezzyDiamond
01-16-2011, 06:25 PM
YES there will.

will it be under the same person?

Jay
01-16-2011, 09:49 PM
will it be under the same person?

As of now we have a new person running Chess.

DezzyDiamond
01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
As of now we have a new person running Chess.

thats awsome! i will be there for sure again

ezio auditore da firenze
02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is cosplay chess? Is it just life-size chess using cosplayers as pieces?

illusion007
02-15-2011, 07:52 PM
forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is cosplay chess? Is it just life-size chess using cosplayers as pieces?

pretty much. It's quite fun actually,if it moves fast enough

Proz
02-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I am looking into a super nice (and expensive) chess board so that it looks great too.

ezio auditore da firenze
02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
maybe have some kind of rehearsal so everyone( be they players or the people running the game) knows the basic rules of how things work in a chess game. It is a fairly simple game, so it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

KittyAnne7152
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
If it's well run, you don't even need to worry about that. A well run cosplay chess match is run by someone who understands chess, and who pre- selects chess players they have tested for their aptitude. It cuts down on confusion a lot, let me tell you.
And the dead time.

DezzyDiamond
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
If it's well run, you don't even need to worry about that. A well run cosplay chess match is run by someone who understands chess, and who pre- selects chess players they have tested for their aptitude. It cuts down on confusion a lot, let me tell you.
And the dead time.

thats why wwe need to stop having people who don't know the game to play. thats y im always a pawn piece XD

Proz
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
The person who's running Cosplay Chess has run it at other Texas cons who has gotten a lot of kudos for their work. I expect to see a definite improvement compared to last year.

KittyAnne7152
02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
...is it Phoenix? :D
(Just guess because of the "his" and kudos at other cons).

Proz
02-18-2011, 02:48 PM
...is it Phoenix? :D
(Just guess because of the "his" and kudos at other cons).

..hope Witlash isn't pissed about it. (dunno if she still lurks here)

Also upon more research, I think I'm going to just use carpet squares. A custom board is way too expensive.

KittyAnne7152
02-18-2011, 02:51 PM
If she does, she's changed her user name.

DezzyDiamond
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
The person who's running Cosplay Chess has run it at other Texas cons who has gotten a lot of kudos for their work. I expect to see a definite improvement compared to last year.

that would be amazing!

Proz
05-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Cosplay Chess rules now on the website:

http://san-japan.org/v3/events/cosplay-chess

lattin12
06-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Cosplay Chess rules now on the website:

http://san-japan.org/v3/events/cosplay-chess

Sweet. The rules are very clear. Aldo if someone wants to kno how their piece moves, just wikapeda it... It explains the game of chess and the allowence of each piece...
Just curious if your player gets one of the pawn pieces across the board can you still exchange them for extra queen, rook, etc like regular chess?

gloommix
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
whoever the actual players are, i'll just throw out an Ed cosplay suggestion ^.^

Raishiroi
06-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Cosplay chess was a lot of fun last year! My cousin (the tauren druid cat) started off as a pawn and actually wound up making it all the way to become a queen and pwned the rest of the board!

Looking forward to seeing this again!

Bebo
06-07-2011, 11:07 PM
Hmm can non-cosplayers join too 0.o I'm not sure if Im gonna be able to cosplay this year....

sergiorex12
06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Might do it this year but im not sure. I guess it depends on my cosplay and how I feel when I walk to the room XD.

DezzyDiamond
06-23-2011, 04:31 PM
serg you better go!

sergiorex12
06-23-2011, 07:18 PM
serg you better go!

I'll at lest watch for you :P.

Conan
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I think it would be cool to join in on it... but I haven't seen an actual Cosplay Chess besides on YouTube. :S

I also wouldn't know who to be... Chibiterasu would be cool. :3

WIND
06-23-2011, 08:48 PM
I think it would be cool to join in on it... but I haven't seen an actual Cosplay Chess besides on YouTube. :S

I also wouldn't know who to be... Chibiterasu would be cool. :3

yes, cosplay chess is great to do, you should play, and just go as whoever your favorite character i guess.

Conan
06-23-2011, 09:35 PM
yes, cosplay chess is great to do, you should play, and just go as whoever your favorite character i guess.

I think I will then. c:

But this will be my first ever San-Japan, so I don't know where to sign-up for it. :S

sergiorex12
06-23-2011, 10:41 PM
I think I will then. c:

But this will be my first ever San-Japan, so I don't know where to sign-up for it. :S

You don't sign up it's first come first serve.

Conan
06-23-2011, 10:53 PM
You don't sign up it's first come first serve.

How would I join then? :confused:

Fox
06-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I saw this last year...but this year I think I want to join! =^.^=

WIND
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
How would I join then? :confused:

this will be my first time at san apan too, but if its like the others then you just show up early and pick a position, and sign on the sheet there before it starts

Conan
06-23-2011, 11:28 PM
this will be my first time at san apan too, but if its like the others then you just show up early and pick a position, and sign on the sheet there before it starts

I may just ask and follow some people. ^^'

myuhime
06-24-2011, 12:38 AM
knight jumps queen

Kanna-Rivers
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I got to see this for the first time at A-kon a couple weeks ago, it was awesome! So much fun and hilarious to watch! And even though my cosplay is not the strongest character out there...I think I'd like to play. ^_^

thephoenix
07-01-2011, 10:35 AM
So, yes, I am running it this year! I will be posting new rules (those shown are for last year, we run it a little differently) soon enough. Let me just give a little info really quick.

1) We tend to play two 1 hour games. The games are unscripted, and are actually played by two knowledgeable chess players. If you wish to be a player, let me know ASAP. You will be required to play a few test games to show your understanding. You aren't required to win, just show that you know how the pieces move and how to play comfortably.

2) There are NO SIGN-UPS. Anyone that say this issue last year knows why...they had only about 1/3rd of those that signed up actually show up, and spent almost an hour to fix this. Instead, we're going to have the players choose, kickball style. We try to find the best mixes and matches...Mario and Luigi as the Knights, Sailor Moon as the Queen, Hetalia as pawns, so on.

3) I can't believe I actually have to stress this but it's happened almost every single game. NO COSPLAY IS NO COSPLAY. Original characters are fine but understand that if you're in baggy jeans, a black shirt, a face mask, and are carrying a prop sword, that doesn't cut it. If you're not in cosplay, you will not be able to participate as a piece.

4) Be prepared to be berated. The players of each game tend to talk trash to eachother, their opponents pieces, and even their own pieces. Have fun with it, but don't go overboard. Some of the greatest fun from this comes from watching people taunt eachother from across the board.

5) If you want to join as a piece, the biggest and best way to do so is to just be in your character and show that you can portray them. While seeing people in cosplay during a game can be enjoyable, it's nothing compared to seeing people in character during these games. Just remember to be your character and it will do you well in the long run.

6) We get far more people wanting to participate than we can use in a game (considering 32 pieces each game, that's 64 total). If you're not picked, please understand that we simply cannot pick everyone. We try to get a good spread of characters, and make it as diverse as possible.

I look forward to seeing you all there!

lattin12
07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
1) We tend to play two 1 hour games. The games are unscripted, and are actually played by two knowledgeable chess players. If you wish to be a player, let me know ASAP. You will be required to play a few test games to show your understanding. You aren't required to win, just show that you know how the pieces move and how to play comfortably.

If we want to be a player how do we let you know asap? Cuz I am interested...

Conan
07-01-2011, 02:11 PM
My only question is what do we do if we're interested in being a Chess Piece?

And I decided that if I do get to be in it, I'm being Chibiterasu. c:
Unless Heather Mason would work better for it. :/

ClearBlueSky
07-02-2011, 09:43 PM
My only question is what do we do if we're interested in being a Chess Piece?

like thephoenix said:

5) If you want to join as a piece, the biggest and best way to do so is to just be in your character and show that you can portray them. While seeing people in cosplay during a game can be enjoyable, it's nothing compared to seeing people in character during these games. Just remember to be your character and it will do you well in the long run.

Just show up, be in character and hope to get picked.

Sylph
07-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm all for insuring that people who are in character and have decent costumes are the ones who get to be the pieces, but I can't help but be slightly disappointed. My friends and I are cosplaying from Baccano!, a relatively obscure anime, and although I'd say our costumes are good and we can really get into character and have some spectacular kills/deaths, I can't help but feel that there is little chance that any of us will be picked to play simply because the anime isn't very popular. I'm not at all trying to criticize the process, I just wanted to share my feelings that this method of picking pieces seems a bit weighted toward people cosplaying from popular shows.
We'll still be attending and hoping to get picked, and we're really looking forward to seeing everyone there!

luaradawn
07-04-2011, 05:45 PM
what exactly is cosplay chess?
what i've read about it seems fun but do you actually have to know to play chess

amshael
07-06-2011, 01:08 AM
its chess using cosplayers as the pieces, and no you don't have to know how to play, because they have dumbed down the process so a noobie can play, but it makes it easier if you do know.

why, may i ask, are we not doing sign up like we did last year, i mean i know it is tedious since we basically had to let people fill in spots anyway last year, but it helped with organization still.

KittyAnne7152
07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Different organizer, different rules.
I personally prefer this way. It increases the efficiency of the event, and makes it fairer to all the con goers. What if you really wanted to be a piece, but didn't know there was a forum to sign up on?
Considering there are 32 pieces in total on a chess board, and there are going to be two matches, I don't think people should have to worry about not getting picked unless hundreds of cosplayers show up to the event wanting to be pieces.

thephoenix
07-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I'll answer a few questions and explain some things to help put people at ease. Quick FAQ here. Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Q: What if I'm cosplaying from something that's not as popular or is more unknown?

A: Bias seems easy with something like this but we spread it as much as we can. The biggest thing isn't who you are, but if you are able to get into the game, be your character, and have fun with it. To give you an example, quite simply, I really don't watch much anime, but half of my pieces for a game were all from Anime and not exactly the most popular. In fact, if you have something more unique you're more likely to be chosen. We had a TON of Naruto and Hetalia cosplayers show up, but only 4 of them got selected (Sasuke and Naruto as knights in one game, and I had the Gaara's as rooks in another). We tend to go for the fun and unique ones as well, to add that extra flavor. I also make sure if the players are "guest players" to the team (which SJ will probably have as it's outside our normal DFW area) that they understand to not give any one fandom more than 2 pieces on one side. Only exception we ever did was had all of the pawns for one game played by a Giovanni from Pokemon be Hetalia countries, partially so he could "rule the world", but moreso because I can't stand the fandom and wanted to take them out one by one as his opponent.

Q: Why aren't we doing sign-ups?

A: This breaks down to 3 parts.

1: Of one game I watched that had 68 people sign up, 14 showed up. They started doing piece placement 15 minutes before the first game. They did role call 3 times, going until 15 minutes after the panel had started. Then they called for volunteers to sign up, and pieces started leaving the board to get "better positioning". By the time they had everyone in line, it was 45 minutes past the start time. This was San Japan's Cosplay Chess last year. Sign-ups are one of the hardest things to plan for, and take so much extra time. By picking pieces on site, we can have the picking done in about 5 minutes for each side, 10 minutes total, and then we're ready to play. No role call, no confusion, no wasted time.

2: Sign ups are one of the worst ways to properly set up a game for the maximum entertainment. It's more about the speed to sign up and less about the actual idea of proper placement. To give you an example, we did "piece assignment" sign ups once to try it, where you applied to be a piece and stated what piece you wanted to play. Of the 130 applicatoins we recieved, 88 of them requested to be the queen, with 32 requesting ONLY the queen spot. Most of those were side/background characters that were not fit in the queen role at all (i.e. Heartless, the witch from L4D, hetalia nations, etc). Piece placement is viewed as a validation of importance to a lot of people and that leads to issues with sign ups. The main pieces go quick, and then you get people seeing a lot of pawn spots open and no one signs up because they see them as "lesser" when the pawns tend to some times have the most fun. The game isn't just about the pieces playing, but the people there to watch and enjoy it. It's an entertainment and performance panel, so you want to work to fit strong suits instead of just randomly placed characters.

3: Of the number of people that attend cons, only about 1/4th at most are actively on the forum (I actually believe the number is less). On site selection allows the ability for any and all cosplayers to be involved.

Q: Do you need to know how to play?

A: The players do, but I'm hand picking the guest players by testing their understanding and skills. We will not have another issue with someone sitting down and going "ok, so how do you play chess?" as a player. As far as pieces go, you don't need to know how to play. Just move where we tell you to, and when we say attack, unleash the beast.

Q: How are pieces "fitted" to a game?

A: Had this asked by PM. Simply put, at times we will look at who we have and find those that seem to work well together or in certain positions. It's not completely fitted, but we try to find good ideas to match up. We've had Gohan and Super Saijaman as opposing kings (talking trash the entire time too, and continually powering up). We also had a King of all Cosmos as a King. We put Mario Bros and a pair of jedis as Knights, two Sailor Scouts as Bishops, two Gaara's as Rooks, so on. But just because your character may not have an obvious placement, that doesn't mean you wont get picked. We try to do what we can to spread it out and get some of the fun and unique ones to add to the diversity. Fitting is only one part of selection, and sometimes only happens a little bit in selection, but if something is too good to pass up, we'll go with it.

Q: What can I do to get a better chance of being selected?

A: Be in character. Be confident. Chess isn't the most impressive and energetic thing to watch, so anything that helps bring in that excitement and fun helps. This may sound mean, but boring pieces leads to a boring game. You don't need to be in the spotlight at all time but have fun with it when you're doing an action, especially attacking. It may feel foolish but some of the best moments we've had are when people let go and just enjoy being their character. However, please understand, we're not looking just for those that are energetic or fun. All we ask is that you be confident, and be in your character, and you'll have a much higher likelyhood of being chosen.

---------------------------

Feel free to ask any other quesitons you have. Sorry about this being so long winded, but I'm not a fan of just saying "WERE DOING IT BECAUSE I SAID SO", I'd atleast like to explain it. Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all there!

lattin12
07-07-2011, 09:39 PM
When do we sign up to be a player and NOT a chess piece?

KittyAnne7152
07-07-2011, 11:03 PM
It says to contact him, so I'd say send him a pm.

lattin12
07-08-2011, 01:06 AM
It says to contact him, so I'd say send him a pm.

I did but no reply :(

KittyAnne7152
07-08-2011, 09:26 AM
Thephoenix isn't a regular though, so it might take him a little more time.

kagamine_twins
07-08-2011, 04:19 PM
how big is the board?

Kpx5
07-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I have a question, are there still available slots for who will be participating, and if so is it still possible to reserve a spot?

Proz
07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
To Others: PLEASE read the entire thread as we're receiving duplicate questions.

how big is the board?

Answer below.

I have a question, are there still available slots for who will be participating, and if so is it still possible to reserve a spot?

Answer below.

2) There are NO SIGN-UPS. Anyone that say this issue last year knows why...they had only about 1/3rd of those that signed up actually show up, and spent almost an hour to fix this. Instead, we're going to have the players choose, kickball style. We try to find the best mixes and matches...Mario and Luigi as the Knights, Sailor Moon as the Queen, Hetalia as pawns, so on.

Show up 30 minutes prior to the start of the event to sign-up.

6) We get far more people wanting to participate than we can use in a game (considering 32 pieces each game, that's 64 total). If you're not picked, please understand that we simply cannot pick everyone. We try to get a good spread of characters, and make it as diverse as possible.

merus322
07-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I was there last Year!!X3 i was the white queen in the second game,shana.This year u'm hoping to get to play as well,this year i'm going to be Maka Albarn from Soul Eater!I will attend whether i play or not.Go cosplay chess!!

Pedxing
07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I am looking into a super nice (and expensive) chess board so that it looks great too.

Just out of curiosity did you find one?

Proz
07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Just out of curiosity did you find one?

way out of budget to get one.

further research indicated that it'll cost way too much money to get a decent one.

Opalgaze
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm really looking foreward to this. I hope I get to play, I've always wanted to be in a cosplay chess match, it looks so fun!