PDA

View Full Version : Getting More Active member for next year.

sergiorex12
06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
I can't help but notice that this site has very few active members. In a way it is nice to have a close community but for how huge the turn out is at the con you would think we would have more members here posting more then 1 post. I think having a more active board would help the con in following years grow even more then it already is with is stunning to say the lest.

I think it would be nice to brain storm new methods of getting people onto this forum so that a bigger amount of the community can be involved.

I just wanted to throw this out there so the current members can express there options and thoughts on this board and the expansion of it.

Proz
06-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I think the reset last year really sucked the life out of it. Also, if its not on Facebook, people don't pay attention. That has also taken a lot of people away. I'd like to have an active forum myself if it was possible. It is possible to link vB to Facebook accounts but I haven't taken the time to figure it out plus I don't think people want that to happen.

illusion007
06-21-2011, 06:55 PM
i'm kinda happy with the way it is, since it's tight knit and kinda like family, but more people would be nice obviously ^^;

KittyAnne7152
06-21-2011, 06:56 PM
At the forum meet up, we usually get a great deal of people who just sort of wander in and have no idea really what the panel is about and have never so much as seen the board, so I'll make sure to send them this way. And I'll make sure that they tell their friends.

sergiorex12
06-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Yah I get people not wanting the site linked to facebook. I did it for my shows forum but the site hosting it had the feature automated so I didn't have to try hard.

Yah I am trying to shove a few friends the sites way but forums have took a down turn thanks to facebook. I do think that forums hold advantages to facebook like the feeling of community and the much higher character limit with allows us to really express our feelings. So id like to see this grow at lest a little bit since the con is growing like crazy every year I leave thinking there is no way it can be bigger hop on the internet and see proz plans for next year and I'm like dang it you have done it again.

My first convention was Zero Day anime and i was reluctant to really join the community but I finally started posting more and I think this has potential to grow I mean if san japan can get over 3000 likes on facebook I can't see why we can't get like half that in site members.

Anyway It is nice to see everyone's thoughts.

happygoldfish
06-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I think the problem might be that, to stay interested in a forum, you have to post regularly and keep up with what's going on. You have to actually kinda know your fellow posters. Whereas on facebook people can just jump on and post whatever stupid crap they want and have all the replies to their "crap" all right there next to it. Facebook is like the lazy man's forum XD I honestly believe they aren't interested/don't look into if there is a forum because it requires too much of them. That's just me rambling though...

Proz
06-22-2011, 02:03 PM
I leave thinking there is no way it can be bigger hop on the internet and see proz plans for next year and I'm like dang it you have done it again

That quote about bigger in Texas? That's my mind, every year, about SJ.

World Domination plans? One otaku at a time.

sergiorex12
06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
That quote about bigger in Texas? That's my mind, every year, about SJ.

World Domination plans? One otaku at a time.

I believe in you proz XD.

ErazDod
06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I personally like the fact that all the forum members are like a close-knit family, I think that if we had almost hundreds of people posting on the forums every day, which is what it sounds like you want it to be, it would just be too much for me too keep up with. I'm just stating my opinion, but I thinking that if it got to the point where hundreds of people were posting on the forums every day, it would turn into an alternate version of facebook, where people would just post something about themselves and leave, and not have in-depth conversations like there are now. I think the members themselves would become more anonymous because people wouldn't take the time to get to know one person out of the hundreds that post.

Fox
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I like the small group. It's easy to keep up on the conversations. I think if we had a bunch of people on the forums conversations would get too confusing...everybody would be lost. Or at least I know I would. *sweatdrop*

ChrHolm
06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
people post about what they are interested in.

Remember when everyone had their "ask me this" thread going on. That was cool. If you want more people then talk about stuff that of interest to them.

I like facebook since it is easy to keep up with. And I don't want to get drowned in posts here. So I just stick to the topic I care about. If something nerw pops up that's cool, I chime in.

sergiorex12
06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
It may just be me since I'm use to bigger boards such as comic vine and Capcom unity where it's huge but when people are posting mostly into one topic that I'm not intimidated by the idea. To me I don't mind more people like I like more people in the actual con it makes it bigger and brings in some cool new people.

sergiorex12
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
That was a problem for me at first. I didn't feel right posting in stuff because everyone knew each other but it is a really nice forum.

Totakeke
06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I think when people see a smaller forum, they're intimidated to post because everyone knows each other, and whoever is new is left out. There are some other forums that I have seen where regular posters will ignore or downtalk anyone who is new. But we definitely aren't like that. I also see people who post on the main convention forum but on the other things like Chatter and Games.

That was a problem for me at first. I didn't feel right posting in stuff because everyone knew each other but it is a really nice forum.

Exactly! It's critical to be nice to new posters and welcome them within the group! Sure, we have the regulars like any other forum, but we need to treat all new comers as if they belong in the inner circle. To me, courtesy and playfulness will keep people coming back and will draw others in who have yet to join and/or start posting frequently.

The key is, if you want people to talk, you have to keep the conversation moving .

Totakeke
07-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I think maybe a contest with prizes could get some people to post a storm.

Maybe make it so the regulars aren't participants but judges? I know it would be hard to make a few thousand post in a months time. I'm sure we can make a few categories to win. Most posts in a month, friendliest newcomer, funniest random picture poster, best ryhmes, etc.

I'm sure if we brainstorm, something will work out!

alycan16
07-02-2011, 11:42 PM
i say we pass out flyers for ppl to go to the forum meet up!! and encourage ppl to join that way. we can have little games to get to know each other better :) and be like, "dont suffer until next con, continue chatting about etc.... online with these friendly peeps " :D :D

sergiorex12
07-03-2011, 07:02 PM
i say we pass out flyers for ppl to go to the forum meet up!! and encourage ppl to join that way. we can have little games to get to know each other better :) and be like, "dont suffer until next con, continue chatting about etc.... online with these friendly peeps " :D :D

Both your idea's are really good I like this one a lot and doesn't require prizes.

Totakeke
07-09-2011, 07:43 PM
1. Make use of the friends feature.

2. San Japan Forum video game. Seriously. It would be awesome!

alycan16
07-09-2011, 10:22 PM
i second the video game

sergiorex12
07-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I'd be the boss with all of the panda minions. You'd have to defeat them all, and resist the urge to hug them.:biggrin:

No one could ever get through.

amara
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe it's because I'm not such an aggressive fan of anime/manga. I have my favs, but I'm not completely, oh my god I must be paying attention to the news (sorry, hockey has that place in my heat) type of fan. I drift in and out, read posts, but don't really reply. Maybe that's the same for others.

Stocking Anarchy
08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
For me, it's more or less that I go on a lot RIGHT BEFORE and RIGHT AFTER the con, but when it's just inbetween time, it's just......sort of a thing I forget.
It's more or less that there's nothing to really stick to. ^_^'''
/weird

Patches
01-15-2012, 06:31 PM
life does have it's tolls. and it's trolls. but some times you just have to go out and stub your toes.