PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Cosplay: opinions?

Cowhugging
06-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I want to cosplay with my girlfriend... But, I'm a bit terrified to be an overweight cosplayer... What is your opinion?
She told me to go for it...

alycan16
06-30-2011, 07:57 PM
i say go for it

zenb
06-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Do it....and if any body tells you something you can tell then,"i dont remember asking for your opinion"

minimoni96
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
go for it. and don't worry about what people will say to you. ^_^

KittyAnne7152
06-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Of course do it.
But do it well. Tailor things to fit your body type. It will not only make you look better, you'll feel less self conscious, and therefore will be able to have more fun.
And cosplay is all about fun, right?

Shardae
07-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Of course do it.
But do it well. Tailor things to fit your body type. It will not only make you look better, you'll feel less self conscious, and therefore will be able to have more fun.
And cosplay is all about fun, right?

Thiiiiiiiis.
If your clothes fit you properly, you'll get tons more respect for it.

GazeAddict
07-01-2011, 01:36 AM
Don't worry about what people say!!! Who cares about what people think...Cosplay is all about having fun!!! I'm an overweight cosplayer myself...and I'm going to make the best of it! So you should just go for it and most of all HAVE FUN!! :biggrin:

Peachy
07-01-2011, 09:13 AM
And if anyone gives you any crap about it, just ask them, "Who's the cosplayer here?"

Sana-san
07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Pretty much what everyone's already said, the point of cosplay is to be fun, so just make sure to have fun. And if anyone tries to stop your fun, tell 'em to sod off.

thegearproject
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
http://chubbycosplay.tumblr.com/

Moving this to a more appropriate section, but I also strongly encourage y'all to check out this body image positive tumblr for cosplay.

Cowhugging
07-23-2011, 06:20 PM
:( Have to cosplay next year anyway...
I procrastinated and didn't get to buy the outfit. Thanks guys! If I don't lose weight by next SJ (Hope I do <3), then I'll go ahead and cosplay with my gf anyways. :) Thank you!
PS: I'm pretty sure she's going as Ryuk... and if she goes as Ryuk next year she adamently refuses to do RyukxLight :P Apparently that was requested at Mizumi Con? lol

RedeadDie
07-23-2011, 09:09 PM
I cosplayed Vincent Valentine for my first cosplay back when I was overweight. I made it so it fit my body type and you can't even tell I was 230-240 pounds back then in the pictures.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/82131/

So yeah, don't worry too much about your size. Just have fun!

Fox
07-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Do it! Cosplay is all about fun! You wouldn't wanna miss out on having fun :D

Darth Sebastian
07-27-2011, 06:12 PM
You know, obviously the right thing to do is whatever the hell you want to, but I think for your sake, we all need to be honest: there are gonna be people who miss the point, are gonna judge you negatively, and may speak their mind about it. Even here, people are telling you 'oh, yes, but you have to do it the right way, you have to 'tailor it right.'

In my opinion, if you've got the right stuff, but it fits perhaps a little wrong or weird, you have to ask yourself, how much do you really care? Personally, I'd slap on a loose or tight fitting cosplay if I wanted to wear the character, and I'd make sure anyone who opens their stupid mouth remembers that if we wanted to be judged we'd be in the contest.

RedeadDie
07-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Tailor it right DOES make a lot of different. You can sell the same fashion style in different sizes as long as it tailors to the body type. Obviously for more curvey people you wouldn't make a tubular figure shirt for them, but inspire the same basic style to fit a pear shape or a A line figure.

Yes, tailoring can make the difference between the cosplay looking too tight on certain points you and end up making you look bigger. When you tailor to your build and just even add a little extra here and there, you can look thinner than wearing something forced/tighter on you.

Darth Sebastian
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
...Okay, let me put this another way:

If you care about it looking the best for your body type, tailor it to yourself. That goes for all clothing. But there's a difference between telling people to tailor clothing if they care about it looking as good as possible, and telling people 'if you are bigger, then you MUST tailor it.' The latter implies that if you do not tailor it then you should NOT cosplay, no matter how much you sugar-coat it.

RedeadDie
07-27-2011, 07:53 PM
I don't judge people's cosplays, but just give tips and tricks from what I learned.

Never said you shouldn't cosplay if it isn't tailored. Just saying it helps a lot. Take it from an ex-overweight cosplayer.

KittyAnne7152
07-27-2011, 07:58 PM
The OP implied they were terrified of essentially being criticized and told they look bad merely because of their weight, so I take that as meaning that they would, in fact, care about looking the best they can in order to not be criticized. And that means tailoring.
People are vicious, honestly, it doesn't matter if the cosplayer themself doesn't care how they look, they will be judged, people will make snide comments, etc, etc...
I mean, I could care less about what I see on other cosplayers. To paraphrase something a very wise man by the name of Santino Rice once said "She could wear pasties and a maxi pad, who gives a sh*t?" (although, that sounds slightly terrifying, on ANYONE). All I care about is making myself look the best that I can, and hey, to each their own. But not everyone in the cosplay community shares my opinion, and you have to be realistic about that.

tl;dr, the OP didn't want to be criticized, I gave my opinion based on that, people can cosplay whatever the f*ck they want, but haters are definitely gonna hate.

RedeadDie
07-27-2011, 08:00 PM
I have seen a serious anime series where the girls basically wear pasties and a maxi pad. At least, that's all their outfits cover.

Please no one do this at a convention, doesn't matter who you are.

Darth Sebastian
07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
The OP implied they were terrified of essentially being criticized and told they look bad merely because of their weight, so I take that as meaning that they would, in fact, care about looking the best they can in order to not be criticized. And that means tailoring.
People are vicious, honestly, it doesn't matter if the cosplayer themself doesn't care how they look, they will be judged, people will make snide comments, etc, etc...
I mean, I could care less about what I see on other cosplayers. To paraphrase something a very wise man by the name of Santino Rice once said "She could wear pasties and a maxi pad, who gives a sh*t?" (although, that sounds slightly terrifying, on ANYONE). All I care about is making myself look the best that I can, and hey, to each their own. But not everyone in the cosplay community shares my opinion, and you have to be realistic about that.

tl;dr, the OP didn't want to be criticized, I gave my opinion based on that, people can cosplay whatever the f*ck they want, but haters are definitely gonna hate.

I think that's quite a bit of conjecture from a vague post about being terrified (there's no context clue or anything to connect OP's terror with caring about criticism). Not only that, but you're already biased that the only way to combat fear of criticism is to work your hardest to give people little to nothing to criticize, which is wrong. We could also help OP build confidence in telling nit-pickers off.

KittyAnne7152
07-27-2011, 08:13 PM
But when you feel you look better, you feel more confident, it's a simple as that.

Darth Sebastian
07-27-2011, 08:16 PM
You feel better... if you were worrying about looks in the first place. You're still under an assumption we have no place in making about the OP.

KittyAnne7152
07-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Well, conversely, you have no right assuming they care nothing about other's opinions or their appearance, which is clearly a flawed assumption.
And I'm observing and deducing, not assuming. The name of the thread is "Overweight Cosplay: Opinons?" which tells us they want opinions in the first place, meaning it is unlikely they care nothing about them. Secondly, they went to the trouble of creating a thread in a public forum, not something a person who cared nothing for the thoughts of others is apt to do. Thirdly, the connotation of the first post does largely imply that the OP does in fact worry a bit about what others will think.
And yes, I've spent my entire summer reading Sherlock Holmes books.

Darth Sebastian
07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
I've been reading Conan Doyle as well, thankyouverymuch, but no matter.

I never made the assumption that OP does not care. I merely claimed it was a very real possibility. I have not said anything that would assume the OP does or does not care.

Secondly, while it is obvious the OP wants opinions, it is not explicitly nor implicitly written what they would like opinions on, save for the still-quite-general topic of overweight cosplay. This pretty well answers your second 'deduction' as well. Finally, OP only says they are scared; we do not have enough information about this fear of theirs to even begin to deduce what they are scared of, with regard to the general topic of overweight cosplay. In other words, we don't know and can't assume or 'deduce' why they are afraid of being an overweight cosplayer.

RedeadDie
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I think that's quite a bit of conjecture from a vague post about being terrified (there's no context clue or anything to connect OP's terror with caring about criticism). Not only that, but you're already biased that the only way to combat fear of criticism is to work your hardest to give people little to nothing to criticize, which is wrong. We could also help OP build confidence in telling nit-pickers off.Why are you taking this so seriously? People expression opinions, stop attacking!

Not hate on the SJ boards please!

thegearproject
07-27-2011, 11:17 PM
While this may not mean much to just cosplaying in the halls, but...

In our contest, if a costume is not tailored to a body type properly, no matter the size of the body (big or small), the judges can and do dock craftsmanship points because it just plain looks awkward to have something fit too loosely or too tightly when it should be otherwise.

So, yes, tailoring factors into this as a hobby, at least from the craftsmanship point.

That being said, tailor a costume to fit your body type also makes the costume more comfortable to wear, period. So I honestly... don't understand why anyone would want to suggest NOT tailoring. It's a win-win situation regardless.

RedeadDie
07-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Agreed with the aboved statement.

KittyAnne7152
07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Seconded.
Extra characters.

keaiyou
09-15-2011, 10:05 PM
This is for future cons since SJ4 is over.

No, you shouldn't stop yourself from cosplaying because of weight, but just remember if you dress up as someone who is known for their slim figure, you may get made fun of or criticized behind your back. That's just the way people are, but if that doesn't stop you from having a good time, then you should do what pleases you. However, if you are self-conscious and hate people judging you, it may be best to wear a more modest costume or cosplay as someone who doesn't look like they are anorexic.

We can say "cosplay is for everyone!" and "who cares what other people think?" but in the end, you want to be happy and have other people take your picture, don't you? So wear something you know you can pull off--WELL.

LadyOtaku
10-18-2011, 02:28 PM
DUDE I say Go FOR IT..... im overweight to but thats not stoping me

officersugoi
01-21-2012, 08:37 PM
As long as your clothes fit, cosplay whoever you want to cosplay! I'm pretty pudgy, and I cosplay pretty much whatever I want to cosplay! : ) Size shouldn't matter, dear. You'll look fabulous! <3

ThePlayboyBunny
02-12-2012, 11:09 PM
If there's one thing I've learned from anime conventions, it's that no matter how large you may be, there will always be some guy/girl that is at least 30 pounds larger than you will ever be.

It's guaranteed, it's on the back of the menu, read it sometime.

mr12345
02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Lewis black... classic

ThePlayboyBunny
02-12-2012, 11:45 PM
Lewis black... classic

Dude, late 90s. That's how classic it was. You, sir, get 10 brownie points (or 10 brownies, whichever)

mr12345
02-13-2012, 07:21 AM
i am a fat man on the inside ill take 10 real brownies thank you very much

DezzyDiamond
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
In my opinion: Taloring is key to get confidence and make it look good on your body. However there are some costumes that may not flatter you at all, like a bikini costume, you have to be pretty fit to feel confident in it. I am like 120-125 pounds and I cover up my tummy when i do yoko because i feel like im pudgy. CONFIDENCE IS KEY to a great cosplay no matter your body type
In short, if you don't think you can pull it off or your esteem will give a confidence issue, put it aside for a little bit =)

ThePlayboyBunny
02-13-2012, 03:19 PM
120 is totally not pudgy >:|

Depending on your weight, doing some crunches a few weeks before the con will help tighten you up. I realize saying exercise probably isn't the most helpful thing, but I know that I started this semester kinda bleh, and about 3 weeks later, doing crunches maybe 3 days a week, I'm back to where I used to be.

DezzyDiamond
02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
120 is totally not pudgy >:|

Depending on your weight, doing some crunches a few weeks before the con will help tighten you up. I realize saying exercise probably isn't the most helpful thing, but I know that I started this semester kinda bleh, and about 3 weeks later, doing crunches maybe 3 days a week, I'm back to where I used to be.

i may start working out again but i have knee problems so i can't do weightt training as much =( and back problems so crunches are agonizing. I am really looking for something that works so i can maintain my weight

ThePlayboyBunny
02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
hmm...you can lay on your back and do "air bikes".

Patches
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
hmm... i now wanna cosplay wearing pasties and a maxi pad. but that's besides the point. do what you want. as for me i look for cosplays that fit my body type. Like the one i'm looking at now (The Subjuggulator from Homestuck) he's built and not in the thin asian way such as Ichigo(Bleach) or Kakashi(Naruto) sort of way.

DezzyDiamond
02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
hmm...you can lay on your back and do "air bikes".

what are those?

ThePlayboyBunny
02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJwz1npLmp0

Basically, lay on your back, lift your legs up, and pretend you are riding the bike. The video shows it best, but know that you don't have to move your back/stomach, it's just that it helps even more if you do.

DezzyDiamond
02-16-2012, 01:18 PM
gotcha!