PDA

View Full Version : Cosplaying in The Heat? HOW?

SephiHakubi
08-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Right now it's 95 degrees in the house so I'm kind of writing in frustration so I apologize if I run on so much here. I'm thinking about cosplaying on Saturday as Kaname Kuran but with the sunacolpyse going on, I'm wondering how does one cosplay in 110 degree climate.

inb4 very carefully
inb4 old wives tales
inb4 heat stroke safety briefing
inb4 ICE...COLD...WAAAATER......ONLY ONE DOLLAAAAAA!

teru_no_hime
08-03-2011, 05:16 PM
That's the beauty of being in an air-conditioned hotel for most of the day. Even in my bulky princess gown, I don't sweat. Don't spend too much time outside is my best advice.

SephiHakubi
08-03-2011, 05:20 PM
My impression is that most of San Japan's activities are outdoor, extend as far as the riverwalk and the mall. I guess getting a hotel room would work but can't afford it right now, besides it wouldn't make too much sense since I live closer than I want to spend on one, and then of course my A/C is broken. I guess I'll have to play it by feel.

teru_no_hime
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Where'd you get that impression from?

thegearproject
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
The entirety of the convention's events take place within the Marriot itself.

SephiHakubi
08-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I haven't seen a lot of indoor pics of San Japan yet, plus I just got done with a Hawaii Convention and the convention that I DJ'd at before that one was open space. Perhaps that's just my psyche expecting it. I guess it's a matter of choice then, but then again, lots of beautiful settings in the riverwalk.

Thanks for the info so far. This is my first San Japan that I will be filming for Sushicrowd and I do want to cosplay at least one day to better get to know other cosplayers here. I just want to know what I'm physically getting into depending on how much running around I'll be doing going panel to panel, photoshoot to photoshoot.

teru_no_hime
08-03-2011, 05:41 PM
A lot of the photoshoots take place outside, like you said, beautiful setting. Pretty much all of the convention is indoors. :P Hope you have fun!

Nat
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Ugh, I was in San Antonio last week and the heat was horrible. oAo
It should be no problem for cosplaying though.
Just as teru_no_hime said, the convention is all inside. Nice and cool despite all the people.
And it's completely your choice to go outside for photoshoots, but even then some of the photoshoots are taken inside since the Riverwalk offers some great indoor spots with big windows.
Not many people wanna be outside in 100+ weather for very long. xD

SephiHakubi
08-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I actually thought about hosting a cosplay picnic at some park around here but realized that it'd probably be more enjoyable if I wait a few more months. I may be busy filming the convention and interviewing but I'm also hoping to make some cosplayer friends as well. I know I just got here but already I'm at a loss at what to do besides Six Flags and whatnot. The heat has been running my fun as far as I'm sure ruining everyone else's but now I'm determined not to let it. If only this guy would come to our rescue.

http://youtu.be/oCwecxY2-oQ

SephiHakubi
08-03-2011, 06:10 PM
...and I broke my own rules. WAY TO GO. LOL! :P

Shardae
08-03-2011, 06:48 PM
if you do have to go out in the heat... BABY POWDER.

KittyAnne7152
08-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Driiiiiiiiiiiiiink WATER!
No seriously. Do it.
If it weren't for water and air conditioning, I wouldn't even be entertaining the notion of wearing a wool suit and suede trench coat to this con.

Kuri
08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks so much for the info. I actually thought about hosting a cosplay picnic at some park around here but realized that it'd probably be more enjoyable if I wait a few more months. I may be busy filming the convention and interviewing but I'm also hoping to make some cosplayer friends as well. I know I just got here but already I'm at a loss at what to do besides Six Flags and whatnot. The heat has been running my fun as far as I'm sure ruining everyone else's but now I'm determined not to let it. If only this guy would come to our rescue.

http://youtu.be/oCwecxY2-oQ
We actually had a picnic a year or two back, later in the fall (November, I think? Or October..), and about 50 people showed up, about 15-20 in Cosplay.

So that is definitely something that should happen more often now that the Social is back. ;D

SephiHakubi
08-04-2011, 09:56 AM
We actually had a picnic a year or two back, later in the fall (November, I think? Or October..), and about 50 people showed up, about 15-20 in Cosplay.

So that is definitely something that should happen more often now that the Social is back. ;D

Hmm. Now that Sushicrowd's HQ is in a new base of operations, we are actually looking to open for tryouts for staff and superstars soon. I'll check with my EVP and see about hosting a cosplay picnic in the fall. It shouldn't be that costly if we need to rent property and we should be able to cover expenses but we will need support as far as getting folks together. If anyone here's reading this, let me know real quick on here and we'll make it happen.

I'm working on a bottle of water an hour and powerade during meals. It definitely works in vitality but never tried this hot at a con. It'll be a new experience.

Great suggestion on the baby powder btw.

Rei
08-04-2011, 05:59 PM
I would definitely be all for a picnic/social anything. I don't have any cosplay friends in San Antonio and would love to make some/attend such events.

Kira_animerawr
08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
:D which is exactly why I decided that I really should put a fan in my fursuit muzzle!

(It's really hot.. Dx)

KimyouTeki
08-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Baby powder???

Jet_Texas
08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I seem to only have hot costumes.. so I use a combination of cooling tech

Change of Phase cooling.. (costly but easy to recharge)

Slow Ice.. the basic ice pack with some other chems to slow both freezing and thawing available for $13 at wall mart but must be frozen over night.

Chem packs.. these are short term chemical ice.. avail at dollar stores etc.. not
long lasting but can be a quick cool down.

Evap cooling is good to but most costumes won't be able to use it.

Valizougon Kick
08-10-2011, 05:40 AM
shower to sport deodorant powder is what i use for most of my costumes to avoid sweating

and well ';.;' just take some downtime and water
though incorporating cooling into your costumes as jet said works : D !