PDA

View Full Version : Masquerade questions

Mitch568
10-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I am making a fursuit this year for San Japan Mach 5, and plan to make it as skin tight as possiable without cutting off circulation, and would like to know if I can, or can not wear it to the Masquerade with fully formal dress. I must know before I go off and order some things

Proz
10-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I am making a fursuit this year for San Japan Mach 5, and plan to make it as skin tight as possiable without cutting off circulation, and would like to know if I can, or can not wear it to the Masquerade with fully formal dress. I must know before I go off and order some things

After issues we had last year and new proposed rules upon talking with the organizers about making it a formal only event, I wouldn't do it.

Mitch568
10-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Awe... well thank you for your answer... I wish I could attened the event in it, because I have already gotten a nice dress. An I though it might pass as acceptiable because its not like the big, more like a football team mascot suit, it's more form fitting, the head is even more compact, with a short snout...

joy1579
11-13-2011, 09:52 PM
Umm will small wings be alowed On a formal dress And wigs and tiaras are they okay?
Sorry I just want to make sure befor me and a friend buy anything we can't use

Proz
11-13-2011, 09:55 PM
It is unknown when the organizers of the masq. dance start answering questions for the 2012 event. I've sent them an e-mail recently to work on the update rules but I know they're super busy right now with college.

joy1579
11-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Okay thanks I'll keep my eye out then

DezzyDiamond
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Will the room be larger this time around?

Proz
11-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Yes. 2.5x bigger in size.

DezzyDiamond
11-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes. 2.5x bigger in size.

Sweet maybe i can finally get in!

Kuri
11-17-2011, 08:16 AM
'Will there be masks available to purchase?'

Yes there will. At least one of the vendors had masks last year, and I'm fairly sure one will this year. There will also be masks available at the door, even if I have to set up the table myself (probably in the range of $5-$10).

'Can I ask people to dance?'

Of course you can! That is the whole point of going to a ball, after all, dancing and socializing. So whether you are a boy or a girl, don't feel shy to get those wallflowers involved.

'Why are my glowsticks not allowed?'

Because this is the Masquerade Ball, not the Rave-Style Dance. Get your locations and events right.

ChibiBritt
11-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Hiya!

One of your friendly Masq. representatives here!

It's a little early for us to answer ALL questions, but we will do our best.

Here is some helpful info for those of you who are super excited already:

- The Masq. will no longer be Semi-Formal. It will be 100% Formal as per the request of many attendees and staff.

- We are working on updating the rules and plan to include pics too! It is taking us a little extra time to finalize things as the magical keeper of the rules is graduating college and moving on to Grad School. Needless to say the last few months have been a little hectic. Rest assured we will try to do our best to get the rules out as soon as we can.

- The theme will be much more elegant than previous years. We are throwing around a few ideas right now that we think would make it quite lovely and popular.

- The actual room next year will be MUCH bigger. This should allow more attendees as well as more room to dance and have fun

miss_ana
11-28-2011, 06:51 PM
When you say formal, is it formal by the standards of modern couture, or will Victorian/Regency/Rococo outfits be allowed?

teru_no_hime
12-14-2011, 07:17 AM
- The theme will be much more elegant than previous years. We are throwing around a few ideas right now that we think would make it quite lovely and popular.

THANK GOODNESS, lol.

ChibiBritt
12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
When you say formal, is it formal by the standards of modern couture, or will Victorian/Regency/Rococo outfits be allowed?

Those styles would be allowed I believe.

RedeadDie
12-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Personally, I love strict formal attire rules, so thank you all for going 100% on it.

Brandon
12-23-2011, 10:36 PM
I went to San Japan last year, but was not able to attend the masquerade ball, what kind of music will be playing? Also, as a full formal dance, will a suit, slacks, dress shoes, button up shirt, and tie be good, or will I need something like a tuxedo?

lattin12
12-23-2011, 11:40 PM
I went to San Japan last year, but was not able to attend the masquerade ball, what kind of music will be playing? Also, as a full formal dance, will a suit, slacks, dress shoes, button up shirt, and tie be good, or will I need something like a tuxedo?

The type of music that plays is ballroom music, so the people can dance to them with ballroom dances like Tango, Waltz, Cha-cha, Swing, etc.

Brandon
12-24-2011, 11:44 PM
The type of music that plays is ballroom music, so the people can dance to them with ballroom dances like Tango, Waltz, Cha-cha, Swing, etc.

Very cool. I love swing.

ChibiBritt
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Hiya!

Just letting everyone know that rules are finished and have been sent to Proz. Expect to see them up soon!

Proz
01-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Hiya!

Just letting everyone know that rules are finished and have been sent to Proz. Expect to see them up soon!

I'll try to have them up by Sunday night or Monday as I am currently at a con.

Puritysan
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
So how formal, is full formal.
Like, Prom formal, or sunday best (slacks, nice shoes, belt, button up shirt (white or some other color but not hawaiian) and maybe a tie)?

ChibiBritt
01-07-2012, 10:04 PM
The best thing I can tell you until the rules are officially posted is that we have done away with the Semi-formal rule. It's going to be closer to prom attire - though you don't have to have giant poofy dresses....

Puritysan
01-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Okay. I think I have the gist now. thank you!

I just worry - because I'm sure not alot of us have "prom-esque" attire, unless they make it themselves, or they unearth their prom attire. XD I don't have the skill to make my own; and I didn't go to prom, so all I own is Sunday best. <o<; I do have a dress that I wore as a bride's maid, but it's a piece of satin crap. xD and the only other dress I have, is, while it's NICE, it's possibly a little to casual. It's kinda... party-esque, but not formal; least I think. I could dress it up as a prom style with the right hair and shoes, though. ROFLMAO.

Proz
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Rules & Info are online. Took a while as there were some things that had to be worked out before being finalized.

http://www.san-japan.org/events/masquerade-dance

RedeadDie
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Will there be a form where we can discuss what we're wearing, doing, etc for the masquerade, or has that already been made? I ask cause I'm curious what people are planning for their Masquerade Attire/Cosplay.

ChibiBritt
01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Here ya go! (http://www.san-japan.org/forum/showthread.php?897-What-are-YOU-wearing-to-the-Masquerade&p=103243#post103243)

RedeadDie
01-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Oh! I do have a question on masks. The mask I'm making is Jareth's from Labyrinth and form wise it's the right mask for a formal event. However, the design of the mask is a bit obscure and I'm not certain if it'll be allowed or not. (It's slightly monsterish looking.)

EDIT:
One more question and I apologize if it has be answered already. When will be a most likely date to suggest songs? I hope we get more slow/classical/waltz like songs this year. It was a bit difficult to move to a fast beat in the outfits myself and my friends wore.

Kaida13th
01-20-2012, 12:58 AM
I have a question about formal Eastern attire...
In Vietnam, ao dai are considered formal traditional dress, worn in weddings and such, but the slit up the side goes up to the waist, and so there's skin showing between the top of the slit and the top of the pants like so:
http://vietnamcharm.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/ao-dai-fashion-in-vietnam1.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3514569005_0f0fa176ee.jpg
Would this still be acceptable attire?

mindtailor
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
@RedeadDie - Jareth's mask would be ok, but I think the horns will be too dangerous. If you could make it so the horns are detachable (attach for photoshoots) I would say go for it. Or consider making a separate mask just to wear in.

@Kaida13th - Ao dai will be just fine.

RedeadDie
01-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Would making the horns shorter be alright?

Proz
01-20-2012, 03:04 PM
EDIT:
One more question and I apologize if it has be answered already. When will be a most likely date to suggest songs? I hope we get more slow/classical/waltz like songs this year. It was a bit difficult to move to a fast beat in the outfits myself and my friends wore.

I am pushing for MEK to consider a DJ to play this year who understands tempo pacing and sticking with similar BPM when making the mix while gradually pushing it up while the night progresses then back down as the night ends. Quickly jumping across different music styles spectrums isn't always the best for this kind of setting, IMHO. Mixing is a style that takes work and consideration.

It's like going to a 'dance' and the songs go from happy hardcore then next song is dubstep then the next song is hardcore then back over to para para. It doesn't help on flow. You'll lose the audience who don't know what to do.

lattin12
01-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I am pushing for MEK to consider a DJ to play this year who understands tempo pacing and sticking with similar BPM when making the mix while gradually pushing it up while the night progresses then back down as the night ends. Quickly jumping across different music styles spectrums isn't always the best for this kind of setting, IMHO. Mixing is a style that takes work and consideration.

It's like going to a 'dance' and the songs go from happy hardcore then next song is dubstep then the next song is hardcore then back over to para para. It doesn't help on flow. You'll lose the audience who don't know what to do.

Yay, that'll definately help alot.

Proz
01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
I will be updating the masq. dance web page when good questions and examples are posted so more people can see it. If mindtailor gives the approval or says something isn't allowed then I'll update it. More example = Better results (IMHO).

ChibiBritt
01-20-2012, 11:45 PM
EDIT:

Hiya!

I'm the lady in charge of the music.

The last two years have been interesting. After the first year people wanted faster music...so that's what we did. Second year...people want more slow. It's an interesting adventure I can assure you. This year I am going to make sure to find a happy medium. I also have a few surprises in store that will go with the theme.

If it helps, I understand music. I understand the ebb and flow of it. And if there is a piece of music I'm not 100% sure would work...I have 2 or 3 people I can get to give me the yay or nay.

In my experience with Masquerades there is a distinct difference from people who are actual DJs and those who are not. I'm pretty sure most of you have experienced the masquerades that end up quickly turning into a rave? Yeah...most DJs just aren't prepared because it's not their focus. I have seen the best masquerades with the best music tend to be those who aren't "DJs" and can actually relate and understand the music needed for a ballroom setting.

I'll post a thread soon for requests.

RedeadDie
01-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Alright, thank you very much for the information reguarding my question. Only reason I ask cause we don't want to end up wallflowers or anthing.

teru_no_hime
02-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I am giddy over this. Can we have at least a lil' teaser, a little idea of what the theme might be this year? Even just a color scheme, maybe? Or an example of the decorations you're considering??

ChibiBritt
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
I am giddy over this. Can we have at least a lil' teaser, a little idea of what the theme might be this year? Even just a color scheme, maybe? Or an example of the decorations you're considering??

Well I can't tell much as everything is in the drafting/drawing/planning stage. We had to wait to get actual pictures of the new location to adjust a bit. I believe one entire wall is all giant windows...

Hmmm...well...it's popular. Popular and fancy.

I can't say much as it will totally give it away...

What I CAN say is there is a LOT of things we can work with.

mindtailor
02-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Oh man, I stepped out for a while and thought there'd be questions. *dances*

I'm certainly excited for the theme.

Zaya_Ayame
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Hey, new to forum (though not San Japan). I noticed that 'Military Formal' is allowed, however - would that mean to say that Lightning's Military outfit is except from this? I wasn't sure if I'd have to have Lightning in a dress (Not the MOST dangerous thing in the world. . close though :P)

Patches
03-05-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll go ahead and bring 4 or 5 formal masks in case someone forgets or doesn't know what an appropriate mask looks like. I'll go ahead and leave them with the door if need be.

mindtailor
03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
@Zaya_Ayame: Do you have a picture of what you mean? Just from looking it up (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/7d/Lightning_altaya_Costume.png), I don't think her military outfit is formal, so no, you'd need a different outfit for the masquerade.

@Patches: This year, the con is going to make sure there are plenty of ways for everyone to obtain an appropriate mask. You're welcome to bring some if you want, though!

Zaya_Ayame
03-06-2012, 11:19 PM
@Zaya_Ayame: Do you have a picture of what you mean? Just from looking it up (http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/7/7d/Lightning_altaya_Costume.png), I don't think her military outfit is formal, so no, you'd need a different outfit for the masquerade.

Gotcha - I'll bring a separate dress ^^

SamiTheBaker
03-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi I am new to the forums and San Japan. I wanna bring my boyfriend to the dance as a surprise but was wondering if either of these would be acceptable for me to wear.

http://www.whatabeautifullife.com/D03-perfect-black-and-burgundy-cotton-sweet-lolita-set-p9256.html

http://www.lolitacostume.com/lolita-dress-kimono-lolita-gothic-punk-visual-party-wedding-p-225.html?osCsid=a80ccecb2e3379e23ac799f40cdfdda4

Oh and these shoes:

http://www.infectiousthreads.com/big_shoes_d_charade_28.htm

Sorry, I am completely lost on dressing formal ^^'

kagamine_twins
04-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, I have two dresses at home that I think could be good for this... I just want to make sure though ^^ So, would either of these be good? 1245

http://www.dillards.com/product/Blondie-Nites-Tiered-Ballgown_301_-1_301_503092166

mindtailor
04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Definitely go with the second one. It's really cute!

rawrritscat
04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Will it be okay to wear heel boots that aren't chunky? I plan on going as Gakupo from Sandplay Singing Of the Dragon and I've been troubling over if I can buy those boots or not for the masquerade.

mindtailor
05-10-2012, 02:53 PM
I will be submitting a rules update soon, including information about wigs, Highland dress, and Indian formalwear. Please keep asking if you have any questions!

Gypsies Welcome
06-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm all in favor of a Formal Masquerade Ball. I really love the idea!

But let's not forget that San Japan IS an ANIME convention, so you NEED to keep your target audience in mind.

I would like to suggest making the Masquerade a charity fund-raiser by allowing attendees to "Cheat for a Cause". I'm assuming that San Japan has a charity it supports.

Have a formal dress code (allowing for costumes of course), and send out those rules to the public as soon as you can. SPAM the boards with it, so no one can say "But I didn't know".

But then give people the option to make a small donation to “The Cause” so they can wear an item that's not Formal. (Either on purpose: we all know that Anime is all about being too cool to conform and bucking the system; and almost every mainstream anime has a character that would be willing to dress the part for a masquerade but would refuse to give up their ‘trademark’ item - such as their sneakers, their special belt buckle, or their cowboy hat]; or because the person accidently forgot their good shoes at home.)

In practically every Anime, at least one character is doing what they can to help others: a particular person, a city, the country, the world. A charity event would fit that bill quite nicely, letting everyone get involved in a small way - that incidentally would allow them to “rebel” against the rules for the Ball. We’re all here to have fun; this way, no one gets disappointed over being turned away because their shoes.

Please give it some serious consideration.
Sincerely;

Chris and Jennifer Ruth - ‘Gypsies Welcome’

Whitephoenix
06-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Can I wear a Full Prince Charlie with the Kilt?

Xenetsa
06-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Hello! So I planned on going to the masquerade this year and I was wondering if my costume would we suitable to go in. I haven't gotten it in the mail yet so here is the link:
http://www.cosplaymagic.com/dathblyinco.html
it seems good to me but I just wanted to make sure. For my mask, I was going to use a mask I will make to look like another character from my anime who is my partner (Darker than Black is the anime I'm going as Yin and I'm making Hei's mask it'll be adorable for people who've seen the anime).
Anyway, I'll be making this mask except cutting the eyeholes and making a stick on the side to hold it. The stick will have purple ribbon winding down it.
http://www.ezcosplay.com/media/ezcosplay/darker%20than%20black/Darker%20Than%20Black%20Hei%20Mask_4.jpg

Are both acceptable? My shoes will be black flats and I will also have on black pantie-hose.
I just don't want to get there and then not be let in, you know?
Thank you!

mindtailor
06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
@Whitephoenix - Absolutely.

@Xenetsa - That sounds adorable. You should be just fine with that dress, mask, and flats.

Proz
06-09-2012, 02:00 AM
mindtailor sent me an Addendum which have been added to the rules at the bottom of the page. Be sure to read them which clarifies some of the questions.

Kuri
06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm all in favor of a Formal Masquerade Ball. I really love the idea!

But let's not forget that San Japan IS an ANIME convention, so you NEED to keep your target audience in mind.

I would like to suggest making the Masquerade a charity fund-raiser by allowing attendees to "Cheat for a Cause". I'm assuming that San Japan has a charity it supports.

Have a formal dress code (allowing for costumes of course), and send out those rules to the public as soon as you can. SPAM the boards with it, so no one can say "But I didn't know".

But then give people the option to make a small donation to “The Cause” so they can wear an item that's not Formal. (Either on purpose: we all know that Anime is all about being too cool to conform and bucking the system; and almost every mainstream anime has a character that would be willing to dress the part for a masquerade but would refuse to give up their ‘trademark’ item - such as their sneakers, their special belt buckle, or their cowboy hat]; or because the person accidently forgot their good shoes at home.)

In practically every Anime, at least one character is doing what they can to help others: a particular person, a city, the country, the world. A charity event would fit that bill quite nicely, letting everyone get involved in a small way - that incidentally would allow them to “rebel” against the rules for the Ball. We’re all here to have fun; this way, no one gets disappointed over being turned away because their shoes.

Please give it some serious consideration.
Sincerely;

Chris and Jennifer Ruth - ‘Gypsies Welcome’
While this is a nifty idea, I think you are missing the point of a 'Formal masquerade' - if people do not want to follow the rules, they do not have to attend the event. The same reasoning goes for Cosplay Contest (must be so-and-so percent custom made by self/sponsor) and Swap Meet (no money trading), just to name a couple.

If you would like a Masquerade that is slightly less formal, then you are more than welcome to start planning for it. I don't mean to sound too harsh, but that is just how things go here - you want it done, then you'll probably end up doing it yourself if someone else hasn't already started it.

And while a lot of the attendees are on a budget, I truly believe that EVERYone should have some sort of formal wear at home that would be accepted in this event, or can procure as such without breaking their bank.

And no one should be turned away at the door because of their costume, as the line will be checked thoroughly beforehand, and there will be at least one LARGE sign, most likely more than one, reiterating the rules for everyone, so that everyone is clear on them, unlike in past years.

And yes, San Japan does have charities. If you would like to make a donation to said charity, I'm sure Proz would be more than willing to accept. But saying you have money to give as a donation, also suggests you have money to turn your outfit just a titch more formal - if you really want to attend this event, please follow the rules.

While everyone may not enjoy the rules, they are there for a reason. If you would like to wear a SEMI-formal outfit, with sneakers and such, you are more than welcome to attend the other dances at San Japan. While we do have more than double the space from last year for the Formal Masquerade, there is still the possibility that not everyone will even get inside before the bell tolls - another reason not to allow these 'rebels' you alluded to.

Kuri
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Will it be okay to wear heel boots that aren't chunky? I plan on going as Gakupo from Sandplay Singing Of the Dragon and I've been troubling over if I can buy those boots or not for the masquerade.
If they are dressy non-clunky boots, they should be fine. You can always take a picture and post it, to be extra sure.

Kuri
06-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi I am new to the forums and San Japan. I wanna bring my boyfriend to the dance as a surprise but was wondering if either of these would be acceptable for me to wear.

http://www.whatabeautifullife.com/D03-perfect-black-and-burgundy-cotton-sweet-lolita-set-p9256.html

http://www.lolitacostume.com/lolita-dress-kimono-lolita-gothic-punk-visual-party-wedding-p-225.html?osCsid=a80ccecb2e3379e23ac799f40cdfdda4

Oh and these shoes:

http://www.infectiousthreads.com/big_shoes_d_charade_28.htm

Sorry, I am completely lost on dressing formal ^^'
The shoes would probably not be acceptable, as they would fall in the 'clunky platform' category.

The second outfit looks a little too casual, and the first does too, especially with the open midriff.

If you're actually wanting to wear a Kimono to this event, it will have to be a full-formal Kimono, as seen on the rules page.

Proz
06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Kuri, I appreciate that you're trying to answer questions but please let mindtailor answer them since she is the main organizer as she can make the ruling.

Whitephoenix
06-11-2012, 04:26 AM
I have a question with the updated rules. I will be doing a steampunk flare with my Prince charlie coat and do not plan on wearing a Sporran, kilt hose, flashes and plan on using western boots (I plan on ruffling a few feathers but I have a pair of Oxfords I if Western boots aren't allowed)

Fancy Highland dress may be worn. Kilts do not necessarily need to be traditional wool, but they should be tartan and of a more traditional cut...for more traditional styles, you are more than welcome to wear a jacket...please wear kilt hose, flashes, belt, and sporran with both..

mindtailor
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
I will allow formal western boots. These need to be nice-looking, without dirt or scuffs.
While it may be tempting to wear a pair of dark sneakers, recreational boots, or loafers, these are not formal shoes. Formal shoes have laces, except for cowboy boots, which are acceptable if kept polished.

Read more: Definition of Formal Business Attire | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5078855_definition-formal-business-attire.html#ixzz1y99tE7Is

BlueBird
06-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I had a question about a certain character:
Perona is an elegant gothic lolita character but is her outfit formal enough? I know she wears red boots (don't worry, I'll use a nice pair of heel instead) but is there anything else that needs to be changed about her? (minus the prop because I'm not bring that either)

EvilPopKorn
06-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I think that costume should be alright. It is within the guidelines

mindtailor
06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Perona's outfit looks just fine (and you could make the mask look like her umbrella!)

teru_no_hime
06-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Was wondering if a hat such as this would be acceptable. It's part of my Mismagius gijinka:

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Feather-Adult-Witch-One-Size/dp/B0027WIVY6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2OCZR1ST235DR&colid=1BZD0N9VRKHV5

Just hoping it doesn't fall under the "bulky prop" catagory

mindtailor
06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
That hat would be just fine.

Nontan
07-02-2012, 12:45 PM
The dress I would like to wear looks alot like the first dress on the "Unacceptable Women’s attire" area. I think the reason it is unacceptable is because of how short it is, but the dress I would like to wear comes down to just above my knees. Is this ok?

mindtailor
07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
The length is the reason that dress is marked unacceptable. If it comes to just above your knees, you should be okay, but I will need to see it on you or see a picture to give you a definite yes.

Nontan
07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I decided to not go with the other dress I was talking about, but instead this one:
http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/showAll.asp?type=lolita
For some reason the link wont work right, but if you press "yukata" in the sidebar, then on the 4th row there is a picture of a red and black yukata called "L231". Is this one acceptable? :)

mizukibunny
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
I've been killing myself trying to find something suitable mask/dress wise and I came across a style of mask I wanted to ask about, I thought it might be okay to place it here since it's a broad topic sorry if it's cluttering anything.

http://www.totallycostumes.com/sbe-16563-black-red-lace-mardi-gras-mask.html
It's just an example, but in general is the lace-style mask ok? Thanks, sorry for the trouble! This is my very first Masq EVER and i'm nervous.:o:o

mindtailor
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
@Nontan - That dress should be fine as long as you iron it well, in those pictures it looks like she just unfolded it from the packaging O_o
Edit: If you plan on wearing it just as in the picture, with tights, you'll probably be fine. It looks a little short on the model; as always I'll have to see it in person to make a final decision.

@mizukibunny - That mask is lovely, that style is just fine.

soraKHdemyx
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Just wondering if I could be Sebastian from Black Butler. He wears a typical butler's suit, but I will wear a mask.

mindtailor
07-09-2012, 12:02 PM
@soraKHdemyx: Yes. Please check the rules - his outfit is one of the examples for acceptable cosplay attire - and make sure everything meets our guidelines. Thanks!

alycan16
07-16-2012, 01:01 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2qjc035.jpg
is this ok for the masquerade?

mindtailor
07-18-2012, 10:40 AM
@alycan16 - I can't see your shoes in that picture, but otherwise it looks just fine!

alycan16
07-18-2012, 12:17 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/2ps2jnk.jpg
how about this one?

mindtailor
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
That outfit would work just fine as well.

Merua
07-19-2012, 03:20 AM
i have a question i dont really plan on going ot the masquerade ball as this because i like wearing suits but could i wear this? http://www.morphsuits.com/gangster-morphsuit

if it subscedes the face over mask i can take the head part off and wear a mask to compensate,

mindtailor
07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
@Merua - Sorry, zentai suits do not qualify as formalwear.

RedeadDie
07-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Sorry if this was answered but remind me again. The theme for the masquerade will be announce at the dance or before the con?

ChibiBritt
07-20-2012, 09:23 AM
At the dance or possibly as soon as the convention begins. Last year we put a sign out early that indicated the theme as well as a blown up list of rules.

Kuri
07-21-2012, 01:57 AM
At the dance or possibly as soon as the convention begins. Last year we put a sign out early that indicated the theme as well as a blown up list of rules.
It would be nice to know beforehand, as some people may want to incorporate theme-related elements in their attire. ;D

ChibiBritt
07-21-2012, 03:22 PM
We wish to keep the theme a surprise until the convention. If that changes, then we will post it. Thank you for the suggestion though.

wanderluster
07-21-2012, 11:59 PM
This will be my first convention and masquerade, I was invited by my boyfriend so I'm not really in the know about what's usually worn, but I can't wait to see everyone! I just want to check if the dress I found is appropriate, I'm afraid it might be too short or not formal enough. I saw this mask http://i.imgur.com/cENku.jpgand knew I wanted to do a black lace dress, but finding one that didn't go clear up to my butt was harder than I expected. This is what I ended up with: http://i.imgur.com/ZyHIR.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8fmeD.jpg

mindtailor
07-23-2012, 11:21 AM
@wanderluster: That outfit looks good, you should be just fine!

iluvpokemon101
07-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Um, I was wondering that if it was alright if I wore a hat, due to it being a prop. I'll be doing a crossplay of Gree-ler for the ball and was wondering if the top hat would be allowed. If not, I have another outfit I can wear. But I'd much rather like to know if my hat will be approved.

mindtailor
07-24-2012, 08:26 PM
@iluvpokemon101: Top hats are formal, so you should be fine~

Nontan
07-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Would alois from black butler be ok? :)

mindtailor
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM
@nontan - I remember addressing a question about Alois last year. Unfortunately, you would need to wear slacks or knee-length short pants with that outfit for it to be acceptable. If you don't mind changing that and wearing the rest, you should be fine. If not, consider a different outfit.

ErazDod
07-25-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm gonna ask this just to make sure, but would my Slenderman cosplay be alright for the masquerade? I would be wearing a suit with a full white body suit underneath it, so basically my entire head would be white, like my avatar. It's not exactly a mask, but my entire face would be covered.

mindtailor
07-25-2012, 02:37 PM
For this year, I will allow zentai suits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zentai) to be worn underneath formalwear that fits the rest of the rules. A mask and appropriate footwear must also be worn.

Before deciding to wear a zentai suit, please make sure you will be able to see in a darkened room well enough not to bump into other people. If it becomes a problem, I will not allow them after this year.

@ErazDod - This means you will also need to wear a mask of some kind - you could wear a white domino-style mask without ruining the idea, I think.

RoxietheSteamGypsy
07-26-2012, 07:09 PM
I'll be at the convention performing for a few different events, and was wondering if there was any way I could perform at the masquerade ball as well. All my outfits for my routines fit under the formal dress code, including a parasol routine I'll be doing in a full peacock-embroidered ballgown (that one's gonna be awesome - squee!) I have prop routines that include hoops, parasols, fans and Isis wings. I'd love to be involved with the ball if possible, since it's one of my favorite convention events and I'll already have routines ready to go for other events. I can record the routines and send videos to anyone that would like them for approval if need be.

ChibiBritt
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I'll be at the convention performing for a few different events, and was wondering if there was any way I could perform at the masquerade ball as well. All my outfits for my routines fit under the formal dress code, including a parasol routine I'll be doing in a full peacock-embroidered ballgown (that one's gonna be awesome - squee!) I have prop routines that include hoops, parasols, fans and Isis wings. I'd love to be involved with the ball if possible, since it's one of my favorite convention events and I'll already have routines ready to go for other events. I can record the routines and send videos to anyone that would like them for approval if need be.

Thank you for your interest in performing in the masquerade ball. We are not accepting any special performances at this time. However, we hope all goes well for you at other the convention events in which you'll be performing!

a_nikki
07-28-2012, 12:46 AM
One of my guy friends is working on making Majora's Mask and wanted to know if that would be appropriate for the dance.
I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask :)

mindtailor
07-30-2012, 09:58 AM
@a_nikki: Unfortunately, it might be difficult to pull that off within the rules. It should be a masquerade-style mask that doesn't impair your vision. If he can adapt it (or make a similar mask) to be more masquerade-style it would work just fine. Hope that helps!

RedeadDie
07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Baaaah, should've asked this. I plan on wearing knee length boots (It's actually a little below the knee for me.) with my Jareth cosplay this year. There is no embellishments, buckles, and no heel. Just a plain flat knee high boot. This isn't the actual picture of the boot, but it is very similar.

mindtailor
07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
@RedeadDie: Those boots will be just fine. :D

RedeadDie
07-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Tyvm! I was worried.

ChibiBritt
08-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Hiya!

Just a quick warning. We will be heading down to SJ on Wednesday and may not have access to the forums at that time. If you have any more questions, please make sure to get them in BEFORE Wednesday!