PDA

View Full Version : Man. I wish I could sew.

Puritysan
01-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Like seriously. I really need to get that sewing circle set up. I really need to learn so I can start making cosplay. I wish I had a group to help teach me. Or hell, even a cosplay group where we could help each other out. Like, whoa.

...I also need to learn how to style wigs. @_@.

alicedaisuki
01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
i know what you mean!!! i wish i could style my wigs and sew badass cosplay >w<
I need a sewing machine mostly and then figure out how to work that lol

thegearproject
01-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Go to local sewing/craft stores and check out their class list; they'll usually have a beginning sewing class. You can get a decent machine at a thrift store for cheap or even save up and wait for a sale. You can learn to sew by hand, like Tampopo said, very easily. It's cheaper than getting a machine by far and I'm sure there's tutorials on Youtube.

With wigs, again, there are tutorials on Youtube. Your best bet is to get lower quality/cheaper wigs and practice styling on them. Practice is the only thing that will make you better with either of these skills.

The saying "practice makes perfect" is very true, especially in this hobby. No one started out amazing with perfectly straight seams or perfectly styled wigs. You learn more the more you do it. Just get started and stick with it and you will get better.

-der Glitzkrieg

mr12345
01-02-2012, 08:36 PM
tutorials on Youtube.

i need to check this out, i also always wanted to learn how to sew!

altair
03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
I know how to hand sew but I don't have the time or energy to hand sew a full costume. So I skirt around sewing as much as possible and just use clothes I find in my closet and alter those. I'm lazy, go figure.

But, seriously, listen to thegearproject and tampopo; sewing by hand is useful whether you're doing a cosplay or not--I've had to sew up a hole in a pair of pants in a time crunch (and you don't have to pay people to hem your clothes when you can do it yourself). I learned most of my sewing from my grandmother but I've also learned a lot from Hobby Lobby (my local craft store). There are resources everywhere, ya just gotta use them :]

Puritysan
07-11-2012, 04:55 AM
archive please.

majesticMarie
07-11-2012, 04:26 PM
I am trying to teach myself how to sew :) There are alot of tutorials online on youtube I found! Threads on youtube is good. (I am not 100% sure if that was the name or not)

a_nikki
07-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm pretty decent at hand stitching but it takes forever! I've never been able to work sewing machines, technology and I are not the best of friends.

Burtonesque
07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Ive been sewing for about 5 years 2 by hand and 3 by machine mostly. Just finished making a pair of hakama :D if anybody needs help or has any questions i would love to help.

merus322
07-28-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm pretty good at hand sewing. . .and i'm learning machine on a Singer. I'm not all that good at it,but my family is assisting in teaching me. That being said,so far,all i can do is patch stuff up and do tiny alterations XD i hope everyone is able to achieve their goals by working hard. My only advice is to find others (friends,family,random stangers in dark alleys,etc) to help teach you and give guidance ^ ^ Best wishes to all~

Kuri
07-28-2012, 01:45 AM
I recently (within the last year) retaught myself to sew with a machine (last time was a hanging tote bag in Home Ec in 6th grade). I've only used straight-stitch so far, but i'll probably give the other settings a try in the near future..

It's not really difficult, it just takes patience, a steady hand and foot, eye/hand coordination, and time. If you have all these things, even in small quantities, you should be able to sew by machine without too much trouble. And the simplest machines don't cost much, especially at thrift stores. I recently got a new machine, $80, and I love it - my boss at the flea market has one that's maybe a decade old, and my parents have one from 1980, so it's a HUGE difference - I suggest the saving up for a new machine on sale route.

As for hand-sewing, I haven't done much in my day.. But it would be better for things like buttons/small patches.

ThePlayboyBunny
07-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Let me know when you get a sewing group started; I need to learn as well, and I totally have a starter kit n everything! >< (by starter kit I mean for hand-sewing; machine sewing is totally lame)

SquidgyGal
07-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I've been hand-stitching since i was little (cross stitch, needlepoint, light repairs) and I learned machine sewing and actual construction / sweatshop labor in costuming for theatre classes. If you can find a pattern that you think best fits your cosplay, you can alter it once you figure out how it all goes together. It does take time to trust yourself to do it, but it pays off, I think.

Dadime
08-20-2012, 05:13 AM
I learned how to sew years ago at Middle School in Home Economics. What started out as a tween boys way of meeting girls ended up as learning a pretty useful skill I used in my bachelor years and now as a husband and father. I never thought I would use this skill in a hobby that involves both myself and my children. I learned how to use a sewing machine and hand sew, making simple things. I improved as time went on, like Tampopo said all it requires is practice. And most sewing machines come with a user manual that tells you what stiches to use for what. Also as thegearproject pointed out these days you have Youtube to turn to for tutorials.

gregory_house
07-03-2013, 03:13 AM
I can hand sew fine. But i wanted to learn how to use a machine and make a costume from scratch (from the measurement, to making the pattern, to sewing the final costume).
And I also wanted to learn how to make mecha costumes using rubber sheets :D

WinterFields
07-07-2013, 02:07 PM
It's difficult to sew a really good costume, and I bet among all of those dress or clothes that you want to sew, I believe costumes are the most difficult.. I guess you'll need to do a lot of research about that, or just be practical and rent someone who can sew for you...

Totakeke
07-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Stop saying you cant do anything, or wish you could, and get some hands on experience.