PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Japanese-learning panel. Thoughts?

ThePlayboyBunny
02-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Hello all. I'm contemplating doing (hopefully a series) a Japanese language panel. What would go on? The learning of Japanese, of course! I would likely need more than a one-time 1-hour panel though, because with only that much time could I cover basic greetings; time would not allow for reading, writing, grammar, etc.

So, yeah, thought I'd ask now what you guys think about that, what you'd want to see/learn, etc.

I suppose some credentials are in order, for those interested.

1. I have an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts, with the focus being Asian Languages and Culture. I'm in college now to get my Bachelor's Degree in that same area.
2. When I graduate, I will be a certified high school-level Japanese teacher, so I'm taking teaching courses (and have taught many in the past)
3. I have 2 years (4 courses) of Japanese under my belt, all of which I got an A in, and I will take more in the future. I am not fluent in Japanese, but my accent is, and I could definitely survive on my own.
4. Before I had those classes, I was self-teaching Japanese. I am currently self-teaching Korean
5. I am half-Japanese, if that means anything

Soikham
02-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Stick to teaching conversational Japanese. You can teach them the entire alphabet, numerals, and basic lingo that we learn in Spanish class, but after the panel, they won't know how to say "Hi, my name is ____." This applies to every language, of course.
1. Introductions
2. Daily Conversation
3. Inquiring
4. Goodbyes
5. Dunno if you'll have time for 5.

ThePlayboyBunny
02-12-2012, 11:54 PM
well, here's how I saw it.

If I can even get like, the really tiny rooms for X number of hours, that'd be just fine (I went to a panel last year with...maybe 15 people in total?). I'd like it to be a sort of progression. Like maybe day 1 have things like 1 panel for basic Hiragana, another for Katakana, another for basic words, then grammar, then greetings, the whole shebang. That Saturday would sort of be like, part 2 to all of those panels.

Now...obviously this is both heavily demanding of San Japan and, namely, myself (I'm not going to a con just to play teacher lol), so I figure, if I do it, I'll get a better word on how much time I'm alotted.

ANYWAYS

Yeah, I figure if I only get a few panel sessions I can just do something like such:
-Start with basic pronunciation
-Teach them phrases, and give them some sort of vocab sheet so they can simply substitute nouns and what have you

So, yeah, the phrases would of course include how to say your name, how you are doing, hello/goodbye, etc.

Soikham
02-13-2012, 12:03 AM
What really made learning a new language fun for me, is practicing outside of class with person with equal or greater interest in than myself. I'm sure everyone and their sister at SJ have all taken an interest in Japanese at one point or another. There's just no way around it.
Along with your lecture, you could print up a packet of conversational phrases, so they can practice with their friends after SJ.
I'm ___.
Pleasure to meet you.
And you are?
How are you?

Using the language daily, correctly, is how you burn a language onto your tongue.

ThePlayboyBunny
02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Yep, already had that in mind. The way I see it, anything I teach should have a paper to go along with it. While I could always have people copy, I know that people who go to panels generally just wanna sit and watch (and participate if it calls for it), so yeah, I will definitely do that.

It's good that you understand this point. Many people get extremely discouraged by learning languages, which is totally understandable. My goal would be to make sure they have more confidence in learning, and the only way to do that is to teach the right stuff.

Soikham
02-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Glad to help~ If you know any fun language games that go along with Japanese, that would definitely help. It was always a joy to see "Game Day" written on the board in French class. I have since forgotten any sort of language games I may have played, or if they would even translate very well. Try and be creative, i suppose haha

ThePlayboyBunny
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Playing games like "Guess Who?" help you learn things like physical characteristics, as well as utilizing the verb have

lattin12
02-13-2012, 11:43 PM
That would be a cool panel since alot of even "American items" have japanese parts in it :)

ThePlayboyBunny
02-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Or Chinese parts >_>

I've actually considered doing a "Japanese Future" panel wherein I discuss the different jobs you could get related to Japan and what sorts of things you'd need to do and acquire to get there.

gothlibrarian
02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
I think it'd be fun to learn basics at least. I don't know if you'd have time for more.

ThePlayboyBunny
02-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I would ask you a question in Japanese, but I can't type in Japanese on my iPad. Anyway, on paper it would seem like you're proficient, so I really do hope you know Japanese. I don't have any degrees or anything like that but I have been studying Japanese for a few years now. Like Soikham said I would stick to the bare basics like Konnichiwa, Ohayou Gozaimasu and then like. And include basic study tips and methods. And tell them to not ignore kanji! Lol

Proficient I am. Fluent I am not. Gotta make sure you have that distinction in your head >_>;;

As far as kanji goes, it's sad. Yes, you cannot ignore it, but honestly, kanji is the biggest waste of time since Egyptian hieroglyphics and a bigger headache than David Lynch films. Kanji is archaic, and between Japanese's two alphabet systems, it is completely unnecessary to keep around.

...much to my chagrin, kanji is still used far and wide in Japanese writing, so, yeah, I would tell them it's integral if you wish to survive in Japan. I mean, you could opt to go illiterate, but good luck with that.

ThePlayboyBunny
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Well, as far as homophones go, that's where context clues come into play. It's kind of like why Japanese (and other languages) lack the article "the"; the is, typically, implied. It's also why, in Japanese, you don't say "a dog is walking", you would just say "dog is walking", more or less, because of context clues.

As far as simplifying it, we just disagree. Wa ta and shi have very simple stroke orders. While the kanji symbol for watashi isn't difficult, many kanji symbols try to abide by the 9 stroke order rule, which isn't even followed for all of them (some go well beyond 9 strokes), so yeah.

But, yeah, it's in consideration. I'd look forward to it. If anything, I should teach a "Japanese accent" panel, because if there's one thing I got real tired of real quickly in my 4 semesters of Japanese, it's just the unabashed white-ification of the Japanese language. It's like CONE NEE CHEE WAAAH, except for every single word. It grates on the ears :/