Thread: Wheel Chair help

Wheel Chair help

This actually a big concern for me, I'm currently dealing with medical issues that have yet to be fully treated and diagnosed, cutting to the chase it is very hard for me to walk for long periods of time because the muscles and/or bones in my knee joints have deteriorated quite a bit. So walking for prolonged periods causes me great pain, so I would need to buy a wheel chair to use for getting around.

Thing is that I'm nervous because I'm highly klutzy and knock things over all the time, now I'm adding a bulky, heavy chair in a crowded con. That and I'm worried about whether I should actually walk around at all, because I don't want people to assume I'm lazy and just using the wheel chair for connivance, I'm scared to offend someone who is unable to walk at all or anyone in general if they see me walking around before/after seeing me in a wheel chair.

Would it simply be better for me to remain in the wheel chair, or what? I don't really have the option of not using it at all or I could end up with horribly swollen and painful legs. How would you feel if you saw someone in a chair and then out of a chair, I wouldn't be upset because I knew kids with certain circumstances when I worked with special needs in school.

Any opinions on the matter would be helpful, it's kind of stressing me out a bit.

Commander of the Rabbit Army happygoldfish's Avatar
    Don't worry what others think, no one has the right to judge whether you need a wheel chair or not.
    If you feel you need it, and it does sound like it would be of great help to you, use it. Heck, I've seen cosplayers who really don't need a wheel chair using one(I knew them personally, and they were just using it for the costume). And in the end, I honestly doubt anyone's gonna tell you anything, so don't worry
    Cosplays in the works:
    That one guy from that show and the character from that movie that came out a few years ago.

I've seen at least a few people in wheel chairs before at the convention, I never particularly noticed them having grief so for the most part I think everyone has a tendency to be cooperative and clear way so they can move. The sites themselves should be well accessible as well with elevators and ramp as per the ADA, so you shouldn't have to worry about that either. And if by chance you see me (the Morale Support staffer) around and you need help I'll even throw effort down on the spot.

Personally I have nothing against people in wheelchairs, what needs to be done to get around needs to be done, I'm sure most others would feel the same way. May be a minority that want to act like jerks, but hey... there always is. Can't spend your life worrying about them.
    Michael Hicks
    San Japan Support Director-"Being everywhere and nowhere since '09"

Thank you. Thank you both very much that reassured me quite a lot. This has been a bit of a rough transition so your words mean quite a bit and I'll keep them in mind and hope others will be as understanding.

Banned
    You can do either. My staff and I will be there to help you as much as we can in all situations. I would suggest you use the Chair for the lines and any long wait. Also I will have two Safety desks set up in each building if you need anything or if there is an event where your chair will give you problems. Feel free to come up to the desks at ANYTIME of the show 24/7 and ask for me directly if you need additional help. We will work hard to help you get to the events safely./DOC

Thank you, that really reassures me. I have to say I've always loved how attentive and responsible the SJ staff are. I've read a lot of terrible con stories with horrible staff, but guys are top of the line! Thanks for the hard work!