Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anime and Cons - are they really for "everyone"?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sebastian View Post
    This is the most flawed argument for what constitutes dark heroism I think I've ever heard. And it's also like you've never even read the comics but that's besides the point.

You, now, are unfortunate proof that morality in anime (in general) is warped or absent. And it's brainwashed you.

And in response to TPB - I don't blame the con for what happened. I never placed any blame on anyone but fangirls. I'm just saying, it's within the con's power to attempt to deter this kind of thing from happening in the future and it shouldn't just be "too bad so sad, kid."
    Okay, fine, explain to me where I'm wrong and correct me, since apparently you appear to be more educated in the field of characterization than I am.

---THIS ACCOUNT IS RETIRED--- Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    I can't believe this is still going on.
    Look, if you don't like anime then don't go to an anime convention. If you don't like the people at an anime convention then save your money and don't go at all.
    It's the same as if you don't enjoy hearing people talk about religion, so you stay the hell away from a church because everyone there will be talking about it.
    Wow wee this is unreal.

SAN JAPAN MACH 5 COSPLAYS:
    Toki Wartooth - Metalocalypse
    Scarecrow/Dr. Crane (Batman Begins version) - Batman
    Female Mayor Buckman - 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams

San Antonio's Male Stripper ThePlayboyBunny's Avatar
    ErazDod and Darth Sebastian – Okay, guys, I’m only going to say this once more: PRIVATE MESSAGE EACH OTHER! I don’t mean to be the dictator of this thread, but I don’t want to find it locked in the morning because it became derailed by a debate on values and morality that might wind up in a flame war or something. Gonna go ahead and bold this stuff. I’ll be sure to private message you all as well so I don’t appear to be a hypocrite, and because I’m totally down to debate what makes a villain, an anti hero, or a dark hero.

Although, seriously guys, Light Yagami is strictly a villain. If you watched the last episode and didn’t get that he was a villain, then you’ve missed the entire point of the show. If you disagree, shoot me a PM and we’ll totally discuss this there.

Blitzkrieg – Totally not even the point. As a proud atheist, I can tell you right now that, sure, a lot of people are just whining because, you know, they’re talking to people who agree with the reasons of their whining. However, the bigger, perhaps more latent reason why a lot of atheists bemoan and bad-mouth religion amongst each other is simply because they hope for a social change.

That’s what this article is. As said earlier, I don’t expect or even necessarily want this thread to like…open people’s eyes or to have people start talking to me about sweeping reforms of cons. Rather, I’ve just noticed things that I find unfortunate, and I wanted to get people’s thoughts. I mean, who knows, maybe I’m myopic, maybe I’m dead on, I know what I think I know. But I’d still like to share what I think I know and get opinions.

That, and it’s not that I dislike the people of anime conventions; they are the primary reason I go. I just feel that what is referred to as “social capital” is on the decline at cons, and while cons can in no way really shape a person’s behavior, they can act as catalysts for social interaction, and therefore personality/character-building, by a combination of their panels, their meeting rooms, and the intrinsic nature of cons themselves.
    I'm an advice-giver, listener, and psychiatrist by day
    and a wild, party-starting, life-of-the-party male entertainer by night
    I exist to explain dreams
    And then I aim to fulfill them
    I am here to keep it classy
    And then I am here to party

---THIS ACCOUNT IS RETIRED--- Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    Whoa, dude, I didn't even want to get into a whole bull**** thing about religion. It was an example to compare my point to.
    And I don't really understand how it turned from you asking for opinions to people getting mad about characterization....?

I'm just stating my opinion. If someone doesn't like something, instead of complaining about it or trying to gather more people up to agree, they should just do something about it, even if they think it won't work or people won't let them. The answer will always be no until you try.
    I'm done. I don't want a five page argument of running in circles with words.

SAN JAPAN MACH 5 COSPLAYS:
    Toki Wartooth - Metalocalypse
    Scarecrow/Dr. Crane (Batman Begins version) - Batman
    Female Mayor Buckman - 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams

I hope you never become an archer, because you are missing the mark 100% of the time :/

-I realize you were just using an example. However, it was a bad example, so I merely explained why it was a bad example. No need to get so uptight; you used something to illustrate a point that wasn't valid because you were wrong. Plain and simple, no harm no foul.

-You'd understand if you read and can recall the article. To sum it up shortly, I had two main points: I feel there is a decline in socialization (why that is and what we can do to help), and I feel that the image and intention of anime cons is heavily distorted and gives off the wrong message, and is further perpetrated by con-goers incorrectly conveying that message. At the end, all I asked for were opinions, and so far they've been very good ones.

-Well, this was already addressed earlier, but, again, I am not here to do what you're suggesting I do. I'm here to discuss, not act. If anything, this could ultimately serve as like, the planning phase of something greater. Not saying it will as I have no intentions on making this bigger, but, this is how action gets started. I'm not a firm believer in "the power of one", so, if I were really out to DO anything, this would be where I start. But given that that isn't my current plan, no, I'm here to have intelligent discourse. Agree or disagree it's fine, just keep it civil. No need to get so defensive. There is no argument between you and I.

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    Eeyup. That just derailed the topic at hand, really. >o> How does 'what is a villian and isn't' fit into 'is a con good for everyone or no' topic. Seriously. Read what you guys are talking about. lol

And I do believe our topic was, programming wise, cons are becoming nerd-cons and not just anime cons.

So let's get back to that discussion, and get off the crap-storm of random over there. kay? kay. good. 8D

Anyways. I wanted to add to it. I was intending to go to anime conventions to make some friends. Yes.
    But I've only had that sucessfully happen once.
    And by once, I mean, I actually still talk to that person more than 6 months later.
    Maybe we need more social programming? Not speed-dating (because that idea doesn't seem to wanna work...), but like, idk, I guess kinda like speed dating format, but it's for everyone. And to make friends, not to find that omg, signifgant other.

..I would kinda like a social hour, or something of the likes. Kinda book clubby or something. But just where people can get together and talk. Because the clique thing is kinda seriously high school (no offence to those in high school, but come on). Can we not expand past our usual circles?!!?

I have 200 people on my friends list, and I can proudly say I only talk to maybe 50! D:
    wtf is up with that yo

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Completely agree. Like, I'd honestly go so far as to say they should just have a 24-hour socialization room, but I feel that it might wind up going completely ignored due to the two types of people I've spoken of several times who more than likely would have no reason to go there. That, and a lot of people just don't tend to go to places that don't have direct goals or instructions or whatever. But, yeah, it'd be great to have something directly for the purpose of meeting people, and then have panels that have more, like, group activities and whatnot. I remember when I first read the description of anime olympics, I was so excited to compete, thinking that all people in the room that wanted to would be given a chance. But, alas, like 10 people were picked prior, and anime olympics just...shouldn't be THAT much of a spectator sport :/

Just to address your inquiry, what's up with that is, more than likely, a lot of people don't like deleting people they add either because they are apathetic and thus don't care that they have friends on there they never talk to, or they think it makes them look "mean" to just go on a deleting spree.

For me, I'm actually happy to go on huge deleting sprees because it keeps my Facebook realistic. Right now, my Facebook has like 50-something friends, and, honestly, there are like 10 that could and probably will be deleted eventually, and it'll totally unphase me because they aren't really honestly people "in" my life.

What I've pretty much learned is that a grossly large amount of people would rather have more acquaintances (as in, people of next to no real significance) if it meant they didn't have to be lonely. Loneliness does suck, but it's totally better than clinging to a small pocket of people, the likes of which have no actual bearing on your life or you as a person. That, and I mean, now that I'm older and progressing in life at a pretty fast pace, I just don't really have that much patience for people with too many barriers.

Just mah two cents on that.

But, yeah, totally hoping this San Japan is full of socialization. I've already made and met a friend from this forum already, and I am definitely looking forward to the inevitable joy that will come from the San Japan forum meet-up >_>;;...

Cuda®
    Troll baiter thread. 1/10

Mark Twain wrote "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I've cleaned out my friends list before.

...Hell, I have family on mine that I don't even talk to. o__o; Now talk about strange!

...actually. /goes to clean out friends list now/

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Tampopo's just being rude, and she's really wrong here. An anime convention, hell, ANY convention, NOT a place for socialization? The very DEFINITION of the word is that it's a large formal assembly of a group with common interests.

And if you're asking people to be satisfied with just a forum meetup and some cosplay things: what if they aren't on the forum? Or what if they are but another panel they want to attend runs the same timeslot? And what if they don't cosplay?

By the way, what's really ridiculous is thinking that a public gathering of like-minded folks ISN'T supposed to be a social catalyst. I guess you thought people were supposed to attend and then.. stand around doing nothing? If you just wanted to keep to yourself, then why don't I put it upon you to NOT GO AT ALL?

Nevermind. It takes too damn long. Thanks facebook... I liked the list with the 'xs' and stuff. xD gorramit, facebook

Also... wait, what? Paying up to and sometimes more than $60 to stand around and do nothing?! NOT SOCIALIZE? THAT'S EVEN WORSE THAN PAYING FOR THE ANIME CON AND SITTING IN THE VIDEO ROOMS ALL WEEKEND (I mean, you already pay money for that right? Netflix? Crunchyroll?!). Ugh. People call me crazy, but I hold roomshares for the pure social aspect. I like making friends on a whim like that. And sometimes it works out for the long run, sometimes it doesn't. No, you don't have to socialize, but it'd be worth your money if you did, really. >o>;;;

Which is why I volunteer, because I am NOT gonna spend 20, 30, 40+++ dollars walking doing nothing. Thanks. I might complain about it, but I appreciate being put to work at cons, because I feel like I'm worth something then, and not just being passed by 100s or 1000s of people. 8D;

But you go, go ahead and spend your money to be just as anti-social as you are when you're at home on your computer. Not a social catalyst... what the ever living hell...

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Tampopo – I realize that there are such things as introverted personalities, as well as some extroverts prefer just people-watching and observing. As a person who spent the first 13 years of his life being the most shy human in existence, a large part of why I’m so confused by all of this is like…when people are in their “shells” or whatever, it makes me wonder why, especially when they’re at cons. Because even though I was shy way back when, I’d still address people who spoke to me, and tended to fall into the category of I’m-social-when-you-get-to-know-me. Ultimately, no, you aren’t obliged to socialize, but you shouldn’t be opposed to it, I guess is my point there.

I never said that you’re going to go to a con and leave it as a new, more mature and social person. The thing is, if you’re planning on functioning in the real world, you’re going to NEED to know how to socialize. Same principle as when teachers say things like “you’re always going to work with people you don’t like.” The difference is that while conventions don’t NEED the ability to socialize, it just makes me think like…why not? Why be surrounded by people with presumably similar interests, similar personalities, similar mindsets, and say to yourself, “No, I have no intention of making friends with these people; I’d rather do this the hard way and try to make friends in my math class.” It just doesn’t make sense to me. And, again, even if they’re like “I’m just not a social person”, what if the introductory question was just, “So what anime are you into?” What if the person talking to you is genuinely interested in talking? Are you just going to shut them down?

So, I’m not opposed to the cliques who just want to hang with their friends or the quiet people who stick to themselves, rather, I’m opposed to them blatantly shutting down or ignoring possibilities to socialize. I feel that it’s spitting in the face of the social climate of anime cons, and, ultimately, I feel it rather selfish. Unless anime conventions killed your father and raped your mother (at which point why go anyways?), I don’t think “I won’t talk to you because I just don’t like talking” is really a reason; it’s an excuse.

Darth Sebastian – She isn’t being rude for disagreeing. The point of this thread was to get opinions, both concurrent and dissenting. As long as she can make a point that is actually valid I’m totally all for it. I don’t agree, but, I mean, I see why she has the points that she does.

...then why do those people go? I'm not understanding why a person, who wouldn't want to interact with others would go to such a place as a con...
    ...cause isn't that one of the main points of a con? to gather and interact with like-minded people?!
    or is my view on what conventions are for just completely skewed?!

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Puritysan

It isn't the whole point. Some people totally enjoy just going to the dealer's room, observing panels, etc, without socializing.

My point wasn't that you have to, it's that there are too many people who don't, and it's annoying.

Well if that's really your point why are you in this thread? You were never gonna socialize anyway, so why are you arguing against ideas that would help social people socialize more? The ideas don't concern your type in the first place, so, y'know, get out. It really *isn't* constructive for someone to come through here going 'nah, nah, providing a social catalyst is ridiculous, blahblahblah.' Well, maybe it is for you, but as I said, if you're not the type to want to socialize anyway, then you're essentially just spouting biased BS to a demographic you aren't even a part of.

and you can do that, but I just don't approve of OPPOSING talking. Like I said, this is like, the best chance you'll have to be around people you, at least, KNOW are SOMETHING like you. So, the opposite of being shy and reserved is kinda called for.

Darth Sebastian - Relax. Don't tase her, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampopo View Post
    It's better to try and do that in your daily life instead of just at a convention.
    I completely agree with this, but because most people aren't surrounded by similar people (outside of the Internet) in their daily lives, I think that cons should be like, their liberation.

I said one of the main, not the whole. xD

It's harder in daily life. How are you to know someone isn't going to brush you off in a work place or something?
    I got lucky, in some aspects, that if I let parts of my interests or personality show in an outside place (a mall, or work), that someone MIGHT come up and talk to me. At job corps, there were 100 kids my age that were into anime. And they were all piled into 4 different class rooms, and we were stuck with each other for 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. It was just like a convention every freaking day.

At conventions its easier, because you know EVERYONE there, has the same basic interest as you do.

In the outside world, you could really have no idea.

Also, Tampopo - I never meant to point a finger, I was also trying to speak generally. So, I apologize.

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayboyBunny View Post
    I completely agree with this, but because most people aren't surrounded by similar people (outside of the Internet) in their daily lives, I think that cons should be like, their liberation.
    I think I'll stop lurking in this Thread now and actually talk. As someone who does fit PBB's description. ^^^

I'm very limited in what I can do with my own life; no car (need to get a license and bus pass expired ha ha), no job (still hunting) and the fact none of my actual friends live anywhere near me (walking/bus distance). Even then I have a handful of friends who do like anime. I've only been to San Japan and one random Anime Matsuri con. But from my experience, since I go by my self, is there aren't many opportunities for socialization with the lone rangers. I've spoken to those groups of girls who came together but I don't go following them. I feel like I would be imposing. I'm ok with going to the dealers room or panels alone and I'm sure there are people who think just because I'm by my self I want to be left alone. Which is totally not the case, I like most people. For me the only opportunities to have a conversation with a fellow con-goer is either in lines waiting or behind the safety booth. I'm terrible at starting conversations because I never know what to say. By the time I do think of something the other persons already left.

I'm lucky I manage to find a friend or two at all! I don't want to bother anyone and I don't want to impose on anyone's group. I feel a little embarrassed to start talking to someone randomly. So I might wind up looking like someone who doesn't go to con's to socialize at all. You yourself have might of seen me wondering around. But that doesn't mean I don't work up the courage to talk to another person.

Outside of cons I have no problem talking to random people during school time especially in the art building. Maybe because it's a more relaxing atmosphere. Cons are full of hyper people.
    "I reject reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Artist page!

Which is why I think cons should implement some sort of social cafe, where mature individuals can go and..well, maybe make a friend.

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~