Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: New Guests: Ellen McLain

I've seen that skit a while back and I still really love it!

OH! If I get a chance too, I want to ask Ellen McLain how she felt about voicing a special Portal proposal for "The Gary Hudston Project." This video made me love her even more.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

A wizard did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yulcera View Post
    Wow. I'm like jumping up and down over here.
    I'm a big fan of portal, and a HUGE fan of TF2, so this news really makes me happy lmao.

Tbh I'm more into games and comics than anime, so I'm really glad SJ is making an effort to introduce and include a variety of entertainment, while still having anime plentiful and readily available. As long as anime and Japanese-influenced programming is still in the forefront, I don't see how this is hurting anyone? Let us be excited over this kthanks.
    First time in a long time I am truly ecstatic over meeting some VAs
    Exactly! Man, I really don't give two ****s about anime. I only go to the anime conventions because there's HARDLY any video game/comic conventions if at all in Texas. And that's the only reason I do go, which is for the video games and good ol' American comics. All of you Narutards need to STFU. Let us gamers have something to enjoy. Besides, a majority of anime cons do in fact have MORE amime than video games so it's not like we're stepping all over your asses with it. Stop your *****ing about it. No one's forcing you to go see any of the VG-VAs, no one's forcing you to look at the booths with video games and comics. Plus, American video games are incredibly beautiful and innovative. VALVE is exactly that. Innovative and resourceful. If anything, John and Ellen have every right to be here! I can't believe there are people here who are so closed minded and engulfed with animoo and don't want/appreciate ANY diversity as far as cultures go. If you love animoo so much, just fly to Japan then! I'm sure all the Japanese will welcome your fat ass fan girl ways. In fact, that's the only reason I'm coming down to SanJapan so I can meet my favorite VGVAs. You guys have your stuff and over 80% of the convention floor and anime based cons in Texas already. Don't get so butt hurt over two people who are not anime/Japanese based that are coming to SanJapan. BTW, there's no way that every anime convention (no anime convention at all) is STRICTLY just anime. There will always be some comic and video game vendors at every one. Get over yourselves. It's not like gamers and comic fans are ruining your time. Looks like you'll just have to...

Last edited by J-tective; 06-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Live concert confirmed this evening. Will be Friday night, 7:30-8:30pm in Main Events (Grand Hyatt 4th Floor)
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Semi-Regular
    This is great news! I was hoping the teased concert would be Mrs. McLain. Willl her husband be joining her? Or is it all Ellen, as per the title?

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    This is great news! I was hoping the teased concert would be Mrs. McLain. Willl her husband be joining her? Or is it all Ellen, as per the title?
    We don't know at this point. Guess we'll all have to attend to find out.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Semi-Regular
    Good enough. I'll be there with bells on!

Quote Originally Posted by Puritysan View Post
    why not quinton flynn? or tara strong? david hayter?
    Because as native Japanese speakers, the people you mentioned above have a difficult time dealing with conventions in America. ;P

Seriously though, that's a bit concern with Japanese guests. One, the language barrier. Ever try to deal with Nabushin at a con? He was supposed to guest host Hentai Fest with me at Anime Matsuri but he didn't feel comfortable doing it because he had to run everything through his translator first, and while she was pretty good conversationally and had a good academic grasp of English, she wasn't good with idioms and slang.

Plus, flying people overseas for a weekend is an incredible expensive, not to mention physically and mentally exhausting, exercise. Even only going as far in to the Pacific as Hawaii from Texas makes you want to sleep the whole day after your flight.

Also, I'm pretty tired of seeing the same guests at cons. You can only stand yet another Chris Ayers/Vic McNignog panel so many times. I'm glad we're getting more diverse talent, be it from video games, movies, music, what have you.
    Last edited by squidflakes; 08-07-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Semi-Regular
    You are 100% correct about the difficulty and expense of hosting Japanese guests...but those same challenges apply to all the cons that do manage to secure such talent. And San Japan is not a small con any more. Each year I keep hoping they'll surprise me with a really big name. Then again, if the fans are happy with the talent they are booking, and it's more financially prudent, then it's just good business to avoid the bigger guests.

I do find it odd that you'd say you're tired of Ayers/Vic since the Ayers brothers and their usual crew are attending again. They are staples of SJ. They are the nicest people you could ever meet, but I can't count how many cons I've seen them at. Many, many. Whereas I've seen Vic just once. I wouldn't mind seeing him again, just for variety.

Personally, I'm delighted to meet Ms. McLain. I'm a gamer. And I was over the moon when Michael Sinterniklaas attended a couple of years ago. But maybe if SJ blows the doors off the convention center with 10k guest or more, we can have a poll or something for guests next year. The booking agent can figure out how much $$$ they have to work with and say, "Do you want one or two expensive guests from this list? Or several guests from the usual pool of talent?" That might be nice. I kind of miss the days where every con had a Monkey Punch, Akitaroh Daichi, and Hiroki Hayashi. And these were events with 2k-4k attendees.

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    But the funimation pool is larger than that (not that I don't love Chris and Greg), I mean, there's Eric Vale (anyone who's anyone in Hetalia, and I know some people would be ecstatic to have those people as guests)... isn't there like over 200 people working at FUNI? o__O

And don't most of them live in texas?
    The only ones I know that live in Cali (heard) are Vic, Michele, Travis and Laura.

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Semi-Regular
    Ah, see, that's a good point. I didn't consider any corporate associations. I think the con that had Tenchi Muyo's creator was partially funded by Pioneer, which explains how they got him. We're certainly lucky here in Texas--not a lot of places outside of Cali or NY have anime houses. And the Texas studios seem staffed by very personable folks. Not a nasty apple in the bunch.

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but as an old dog, I find the changing landscape of anime fandom fascinating. I'm keenly aware that tastes and demographics have changed tremendously. I went from being an outsider, to an insider, to an outsider again. LOL. It's come full circle. And watching a con like SJ grow up from nothing has been full of surprises to say the least. I can't say I understand it all, but you can't argue with success, eh?

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    <~always outsider.

I'm always 2 years too late, with things. Though sometimes I discover something relatively new. But it's usually subtitled, and not worth the time wishing for VA's or creators and anything industry or whatever. :Y

rofl

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    Ah, see, that's a good point. I didn't consider any corporate associations. I think the con that had Tenchi Muyo's creator was partially funded by Pioneer, which explains how they got him.
    Just for reference, if you're referring to Hitoshi Okuda (mangaka for Tenchi Muyo) and his appearance at Ushicon in 2005, there were no corporate associations, funding or sponsorships involved in that appearance. If you were referring to some American appearance by Masaki Kajishima or some other Tenchi person, then I apologize for the mistake and have no idea.

Also, for the record, Mr. Okuda is an INCREDIBLY friendly and generous guy and he should TOTALLY come back to Texas sometime.

Semi-Regular
    Sorry, Ushiko, we have our wires crossed. I was referring to Sakura Con, which I staffed during it's early years. And since I'm a cel collector, when I refer to creators I usually mean video. You are correct that manga almost always precedes video, but I was referencing Hiroki Hayashi, who co-created the OVA. I've never met Mr. Okuda, but I'm sure he's got a great personality based off the wonderful Tenchi series. Tenchi comprises the bulk of my collection.

I'm sorry I missed his Ushicon appearance. I've never attended that con. Glad to see it's back in some form.

And I'm still very excited about seeing Ms. McLain! LOL

No worries, I didn't realize Mr. Hayashi had come to the US at one point, that must have been really neat. I stopped by Mr. Kajishima's circle one year at Comiket (he's STILL putting out Tenchi Muyo universe stories, it's crazy). In Tenchi Muyo's case, the anime did come first, but sometimes people don't know that so I wasn't sure. Anyway, random Tenchi trivia over.