Thread: First time going to a con. Pointers and tips?

Lurker

First time going to a con. Pointers and tips?

So this will be my very first time at a con.
    It's been a dream of mine to go since I was 9. And this is the year it's all going down!
    I've read tips and tricks for years. But never had some first hand advice for San Japan specifically. So any of you San Japan con vets want to give a nervous newbie some advice? Thanks guys. c: -Kate-
    (I'm pretty sure I already posted this some where else o.o).

If you're going for the whole weekend, something I always tell people is "Rule 3-2-1"

At least:
    3 hours of sleep per night
    2 meals a day
    1 shower per day

Other than that, when in the dealer's room, do shop around. The item you want may be available at more than one vendor, and they're all priced a little differently. Get the best deal you can.

Unless you know beyond a shadow of a doubt, do not accept random drinks from guys that are already opened (this is the father of two daughters talking, so you can roll your eyes if you want). You never know what may have been slipped into it. If it's still sealed (like a Ramune), that should be okay, but I'm still a paranoid paul.

You may get randomly glomped, don't freak out all over the glomper if you're a "don't invade my bubble" type.

Keep your wallet/purse secured. Don't leave it anywhere for just a moment. That's all it can take to lose everything you had inside. If carrying money and you have a front pocket, keep it there. It's more secure than your back pocket or a bag hanging loosely from your shoulder.

Most of all, have fun! There are always a ton of amazing cosplay everywhere you look, and most are always happy to pose for a picture. Just don't block traffic in a major thoroughfare.

This will be my first time at San Japan, but have been to several throughout the Midwest States. I'm sure you've read most of that before, but thought it would be beneficial to repeat.

Are you going to be cosplaying anything?

Lurker
    Oh man, that dealer tip was actually pretty helpful. I'm kind of an impulsive buyer.
    And I don't think the drink tip is silly either, It's safe. And it's good to hear parents actually being concerned.
    The glomping is something I'll have to mentally prepare for. I've grown up with 3 younger siblings. So when one jumps on you (in our family) throw them off quick. Nothing ever good comes from siblings jumping on each other lol.
    I'm so camera shy, I'd really like my picture taken though. It's a fun memory.
    Unfortunetly though I'm gonna be lame this year. And this will be my sorta "cosplay" http://tinypic.com/r/2rdhlj4/6
    I'm gonna save up for my next con and actually try to do a really awesome cosplay.

Other suggestions I have:
    1.) Comfy Shoes-you will be walking and on your feet a lot more than you think
    2.) Check out the schedule before you get there, and plan out what you want to see
    3.) be prepared for lines- big events like the cosplay show, the amv awards, and some of the panels will fill up quickly, and if you want a seat where you can actually see, lining up is usually a good idea
    4.) Fa-breeze- this goes along with the 3,2,1, rule. If your wearing the same costume 2 or three days, you will want to make sure it does not develope a smell.
    5.) Pack deodorant in your purse, or whatever bag you are carrying, if you are carrying one. -Trust me, between your costume, and the crowds, you will sweat more than you think.
    6.) Save your impulse buying for the last day-a lot of times dealers do not want to transport things, and will haggle with you on prices
    7.) Dose up on Vitamin C, and wash your hands frequently.-you do not want the con-crud
    8.) take TONS of pictures! and don't be shy about asking someone to take a pic with you. Its a great memory, and almost everyone will say yes!
    And of course general safety rules, don't wander around alone at night, and don't follow pedo-bear down an empty hotel hallway.
    All posts made by Coci from Anime-Outcast
    Anime-Outcast, bringing you all the news and reviews of the Anime world!
    Visit www.anime-outcast.com

Lurker
    Thank you! c: