Thread: Ribbons for Aurora

Ribbons for Aurora

In wake of the tragic events in Aurora, Colorado a few local steampunks have decided to show support in a very small yet significant way.

When a weapon is checked at the Safety desk, it's zip-tied to mark that it's been verified as safe. Roxie of the Sky Dogs and Vitaliy of Airship Isabella will be handing out free lengths of red ribbon to attach to your zip tie as a symbol of solidarity and support for the victims of the Aurora shooting. If you would like to participate, feel free to message me or post here and we will arrange a place to hand them out. We will be doing this all weekend, so if you only plan on going to one day of the convention you are still more than welcome to participate.

This applies to more than guns: any zip-tied weapon is eligible for a ribbon. If you don't carry weapons but would still like a ribbon, message us and we will be sure to bring a ribbon long enough to attach it to whatever piece of your costume that you wish.

Please share this event with your fellow con-goers who plan to bring weapon props. We'd love for this event to go convention-wide so more people have the opportunity to show their support for the victims of this tragedy.

OFFICIAL PICK-UP LOCATIONS:
    Thursday, July 9
    Southtown 101 (Steampunk After Party)
    Vixon, Maddog and Roxie will be onstage at Southtown 101 for the after party for Steampunk Movie Night. We WILL have ribbons in hand if you would like to pick yours up or donate more spools.

Roxie will be at the Gonzales Convention Center between eight and nine AM on Friday to begin handing out ribbons and picking up donated spools.

Booths, vendors and groups that will be distributing:
    Pinche Games
    Hazel, Mayu, Hina and Sachi of the KiraKira Moe Show
    The Brass Apple
    Airship GFY
    Airship Aurora
    More coming soon!

Got a table/booth/group and want to help distribute? Message me! We need as many locations available as possible!

San Japan's policy on weapons:

We are relaxing some rules this year and will be allowing some live steel. There must be absolutely NO EDGE and it must be CONVENTION safe. NO sharp or dangerous LIVE STEEL. ANY unchecked sharp live steel or props as spotted by Safety will be asked to go to the check area and then continue having fun after it has been verified. If anyone tries to sneak props in or just try to avoid the rules on this you will be asked to leave the convention with no refund.
    If it is for the competition San Japan will only allow it if you are verified as a contestant and the prop is not sharp in any way. The Cosplay staff has any final decision on their event. DO NOT come to the Safety director or Convention Chairman if they say no. We will back them up in EVERY way.
    If you buy any prop or weapon from the dealer’s room it must be transported OUT of the convention immediately to your room or car. Do NOT carry it around unless it is in the original box it came in. Removing the prop or weapon from the original box will be considered a dangerous weapon and you will risk being expelled from the convention.
    NO AIRSOFT GUNS THAT ARE NOT PERMANENTLY DISABLED TO NO LONGER FIRE ANY PROJECTILES! THE TIPS MUST BE COMPLETELY COVERED OR FILLED IN AS TO SHOW THE BARREL IS NO LONGER ABLE TO BE USED. IT MUST HAVE A LOT OF ORANGE PAINT ON IT. THE TRIGGERS MUST NOT WORK. MISS ANY OF THESE AND YOUR WEAPON IS NOT ALLOWED.
    Last edited by RoxietheSteamGypsy; 07-20-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Added Airships GFY and Aurora to the Pickup List.
    Roxie the Steam Gypsy - Independent Stage Performer, Custom Costumer and Event Coordinator

Come watch me and my friends at Airship Giffy shake our tail feathers Saturday night at Hats Off, Mics On!

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forums. I juggled posting it in three different places and this seemed like the most out-of-the-way. ^^;
    Roxie the Steam Gypsy - Independent Stage Performer, Custom Costumer and Event Coordinator

Come watch me and my friends at Airship Giffy shake our tail feathers Saturday night at Hats Off, Mics On!