Thread: Best way to get from Grand Hyatt to Convention Center?

Semi-Regular

Best way to get from Grand Hyatt to Convention Center?

Apologies if this has been posted before, I browsed through several pages and didn't see it.

What kind of foot access will we have between the two main locations? I see a tiny, uncovered walkway over the river, and of course there is exiting to the street and walking down the sidewalk.

I see a large, covered bridge that seems to connect the parking structure, but it's not entirely clear from the satellite photo.

Thanks!

They are literally next door to each other. There will be a sky bridge directly outside the Hyatt if you want to take the long way, the picture below is the shorter way across Market St.

Google Maps view:

In Charge Of The Chaos

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    There's no connecting bridge OVER the river, really. Or like a sky way, or a bridge.
    Just some connecting side walk, that is yes, uncovered, and hot.

Joy! XD

map: http://i50.tinypic.com/kbr9y9.jpg

fuuu proz :P

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Semi-Regular
    Thanks. Being right next door is fine, if there wasn't a river separating them. Good to hear the sky bridge is an option, even if it's a longer walk. If everyone cuts across the short way, that tiny sidewalk and uncovered bridge will become serious choke points if we get 8-10k people using them. Single-file in each direction (less if people are in bulky costumes).

@Puritysan--isn't that structure in the middle of your photo a footbridge? The one with the boat going under it? I assumed so by the placement, since it would allow people to cross without going near the street. I'll have to drive down and take a closer look.

Banned
    Your feet.

Dezzy's rabid badger ezio auditore da firenze's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    They are literally next door to each other. There will be a sky bridge directly outside the Hyatt if you want to take the long way, the picture below is the shorter way across Market St.

Google Maps view:

I wonder if I can have them give me a room with a mega-slide going straight to the convention center.
    -When I said "deadly neurotoxin," the "deadly" was in massive sarcasm quotes. I could take a bath in this stuff. Put it on cereal, rub it right into my eyes... honestly, it's not deadly at all... to *me*. You, on the other hand, are going to find its deadliness... a lot less funny. - GlaDOS, Portal

ezio auditore da firenze x dezzy diamond= dezzio??

Semi-Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ezio auditore da firenze View Post
    I wonder if I can have them give me a room with a mega-slide going straight to the convention center.
    I would pay $$$ for that feature!

When my event is done, I think I'll set up a catapult service on one side of the river to make back my expenses. For just $5, I'll launch you into either a first or second story window of the convention center, your choice.

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by japester View Post
    @Puritysan--isn't that structure in the middle of your photo a footbridge? The one with the boat going under it? I assumed so by the placement, since it would allow people to cross without going near the street. I'll have to drive down and take a closer look.
    It is, but I don't know excatly how to get to it, hotel side. ROFL

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Take the escalator in the Grand Hyatt lobby down to the sushi restaurant, go outside and you'll see the foot bridge. It'll take you to the river level of the Convention Center.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Semi-Regular
    Take the escalator in the Grand Hyatt lobby down to the sushi restaurant, go outside and you'll see the foot bridge. It'll take you to the river level of the Convention Center.
    Ah, thanks for the info, Proz. I didn't realize it was on the river level. Going through the restaurant isn't a good option for any volume of people, so the sidewalk it is.

I think I'll head down this weekend and explore a bit. I'd like to see how much the sky bridge adds to the walk. Having options is a good thing.

Semi-Regular
    Well, I took a stroll all around the convention area, and I'm glad I did. The layout really didn't click until I walked it myself. For anyone still a little unclear about their options, I can provide a little more info. This might be useful since a little rain is possible that weekend. And this is assuming San Japan won't have to block off certain walkways to set up badge checkpoints.

Option #1--As outlined in post #2 by Proz, exit the Hotel, veer right towards the street, walk down the sidewalk, then approach the corner of the convention center. If you make a left, you have a longish outdoor (but covered) walk until you reach the end of the sky bridge. Through those doors and Exhibit Hall A is on your right. However, if you make a right at the corner, you will have a short walk down the front of the convention center and enter doors near Room 103 (Special Programming 1). If you are continuing on to Exhibit Hall A, this area might be a little clogged due to the hallway being of average size and due to the presence of a gorgeous set of double winding staircases. If cosplayers discover this area, it may be used for photos (don't block the stairs!).

Option #2--After exiting the hotel, veer left, away from the street. Look at the pic in post #2. There are sets of doors directly under the tail end of the big, red "Grand Hyatt" arrow. Go in there. You are now in a wide, indoor hallway that parallels the outdoor, covered walk towards the sky bridge I mentioned in Option #1. When you reach the end, enter the doors and take a right across the enclosed sky bridge (this is in lieu of walking along the uncovered sidewalk). Exhibit Hall A is directly in front of you. Rooms 101-103 are to your right, with a few ways to reach them.

Option #3--We didn't try this one, as it was just as exposed as Option #1 and seemed even less direct. It looks like you can exit the hotel at street level, take the stairs down by the sidewalk, cross the uncovered foot bridge (which is narrow) and go into the lower level of the convention center. I suppose if the sidewalk is crowded, and you want a scenic detour, this might be nice. ^_^ Or as Proz suggested, you could get down there by taking an internal escalator through the hotel's sushi restaurant.

For me, I find Option #2 the most attractive. You don't need to go near the street, the walkway is wider, and you have less exposure to the heat and rain. There is an awning that covers the corner of the hotel, so even if you exit the front of the Hyatt, and walk around the corner of the building, you should get shade/rain protection for all but the last 30 feet or so before you can enter the hallway to the sky bridge. You could make a beeline and exit the hotel on that side, but that means cutting through a bar, and the Hyatt may not like that.

I hope this was helpful.

Google Maps view:

Hi, will all the doors of Side A of the Convention Center be open to walk in? What I am tallking about are the doors on street level along Market Street and Alamo Street?

Quote Originally Posted by Tankol75 View Post
    Hi, will all the doors of Side A of the Convention Center be open to walk in? What I am tallking about are the doors on street level along Market Street and Alamo Street?
    No. The only doors open will be on Market Street as pointed at in the picture.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by docsven View Post
    Your feet.
    yo, we gotta meet at san japan so I can buy you a drink that night or something for this post. made my day

unless you're underage, ill buy you a nice capri sun

Semi-Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
    yo, we gotta meet at san japan so I can buy you a drink that night or something for this post. made my day
    It's even more high-larious if you actually read the posts.

What kind of foot access will we have between the two main locations?
    Quote Originally Posted by docsven View Post
    Your feet.
    AMIRIGHT?
    Comedy gold!