Thread: Chinese History and Japanese History panel?

Chinese History and Japanese History panel?

I have taken classes in both depts, Would anyone like a brief overview of Chinese and/or Japanese History?

For Chinese I'd cover Shang Dynasty to the Han Dynasty (maybe 3 kingdoms period if time permited)

For Japanese I'd cover the Tokugawa Bakufu to the Meiji Restoration and the eariler restoration attempt that failed when the Tokugawa Family took back power.

Fountain of Useless Information EvilPopKorn's Avatar
    Id kinda like to go to this panel. I wanted to know more about the three kingdoms and the shinsingumi. I think thats how it is written.
    |My Cosplay(s) for SJ 2015:|
    TBD

"Otaku are not driven by energy but by spirit." Genshiken 2

City on the River which flows through the land of Fire and Ice
    Looks interesting. I'd try dropping in.
    Facebook
    Deviantart
    SJ 6 Cosplays: Pimpachu, Grunkle Stan (Gravity Falls), & HitPony!
    Avi by Ubisoft, edited by http://kyo4kusanagi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d53j3hw

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    San Japan could use the culture, honestly!

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

It sounds like something I'd try to make it too
    crazy things have happened and were still here....
    SJ 7:Cana (Fairytail)= 100%
    Daphne (scooby-doo)= 100%
    Penny(Big Bang Theory)=100%
    Arrietty(Secret Life of Arrietty)=85%
    Katara (Avatar the Last Airbender)= 100%

Wow, that sounds pretty cool c: But would it just be like a lecture, or something more?
    San Japan "Sinister Six", I will be: Sailor Jupiter, Scanty, Alois Trancy.

Needs More Minions gothlibrarian's Avatar
    Me librarian. Me love history. ie. Sounds good.
    Cosplays for SJ 8
    Don't know yet. :/
    I really want to do the Folktales panel again because it was well attended and I plan on making it even better!
    I'm a 14 year old girl trapped in the body of a forty-something year old librarian.

San Antonio's Male Stripper ThePlayboyBunny's Avatar
    Make sure you find some way to make it more than just you talking. Pictures, video, maybe some music, etc, will help keep some audience.

Also, not for nothing, but I can only presume Japanese History would be the one people would go to.

I'm slightly interested in doing a panel about modern Japan. It isn't history persay, but it is "modern history" if you will. If you know anything about that, let me know and maybe we can bounce some ideas around.
    I'm an advice-giver, listener, and psychiatrist by day
    and a wild, party-starting, life-of-the-party male entertainer by night
    I exist to explain dreams
    And then I aim to fulfill them
    I am here to keep it classy
    And then I am here to party

Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayboyBunny View Post
    Make sure you find some way to make it more than just you talking. Pictures, video, maybe some music, etc, will help keep some audience.

I'm slightly interested in doing a panel about modern Japan. It isn't history persay, but it is "modern history" if you will. If you know anything about that, let me know and maybe we can bounce some ideas around.
    The Meiji Restoration is modern. It took place during the 19th century. if you mean contemporary history, you'd have to do it from the 1960's till today.

Edit 08/15/2012:

This will be lecture based panels where audience can ask questions mid lecture and afterward.

San Japan could use a little history of Japan and/or China since when I mention Qin shi huangdi, they look at me as if i lost my mind or not know that that person was the 1st person to unite the warring states to form China to what it is today.

Without culture, we loose our roots

Quote Originally Posted by Whitephoenix View Post
    San Japan could use a little history of Japan and/or China since when I mention Qin shi huangdi, they look at me as if i lost my mind or not know that that person was the 1st person to unite the warring states to form China to what it is today.
    It wasn't in Hetalia, thus isn't crucial to world history, yes?

No...Just...No. Hetalia perverses history to no end if they didn't mention the 1st emperor of China. I'm gonna apply and teach REAL history...

love meeting new people :) Isa-chan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitephoenix View Post
    No...Just...No. Hetalia perverses history to no end if they didn't mention the 1st emperor of China. I'm gonna apply and teach REAL history...
    Lol it would be cool to learn REAL history. Im actually part japanese

So, JUST Japanese History and scrap the chinese history? I'm asking because I would like to do both but if no one wants Chinese history then i'll just focus on Japanese from the Tokugawa bakufu, Sakoku period then to the Meiji Restoration. I will cover the Class system and their version of Confucianism society.

Of course I would have to talk about Perry and the US navy forced the end of the Sakoku Period. (PLEASE know what I am talking about or I will head desk.)

love meeting new people :) Isa-chan's Avatar
    It would be cool to learn Chinese history also

New Person
    History panels have a tendency to go very wrong very fast whether it be because the timeline gets too confusing, the panelist isn't as versed as they think they are (not saying that's your case, at all, just mentioning it because of the chunk of history panels I've attended at cons fall in this category) or because you have the one person in the audience who will disagree with everything you say or "know better," whether they do or not...

With that caveat out of the way, when history panels are done well, I very much enjoy attending them. I tend to like ones that are forthright with their sources and their sources are valid and scholarly (I'm knitpicky, though...my degrees are focused on research and the courses I currently teach focus a great deal on what qualifies as 'valid scholarly sources.' and there's no need for handouts in a physical form, but slap one up on a website and give out the URL so people interested in learning further can go and check out the books, documentaries, etc you recommend).

If you want a little hook, the most successful history panel I've attended took historically set (and popular) anime and talked about their flaws and successes on the historical accuracies of portrayed Japan.

Hello everyone!

I know for sure me and my fiance are going to SJ6 and this sounds like a panel we would really enjoy attending
    But I agree with Tish, this would have to be well researched and engaging, I think, too. Sitting for a history lesson might feel a bit too much like being in school for some attendees, so think of ways to make it fun. Draw up a timeline on a whiteboard and maybe as you go through the ages, have a slideshow or some objects and pictures to show the quirks and differences of that time. Just because it's scholarly (and I agree it should be!) doesn't mean it has to be in monotone JMHO

I'm totally down for this. Love it <3

Note: I may not be able to do this since I am applying to teach English in the Republic of Korea. So, Feel free to steal this panel idea since San Japan is in dire need of history panels that teach real non-hetalized history.