Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LAN Japan?

LAN Japan?

I know that the game room exists, but its mostly console games with some arcade cabs. I was thinking it would be interesting to run a 12-hour PC LAN Party as an event? If overnight, have it at a room at the Hyatt?

Personally, I have only run a few personal LAN parties at home (6-12 people), but I know someone who's very experienced at running larger LAN parties, and I have a friend who has volunteered for some huge LANs with the Texas eSports Association, so I think I have the contacts to make a successful LAN Party.

Expanding San Japan to more gaming stuff might also attract a wider audience, and if "LAN Japan" is successful enough, we could bring in some gaming related guests and companies. The eSports industry is also growing rapidly, and I know League of Legends, DoTA2, and SC2 are pretty popular with the type of crowd that San Japan attracts.

I haven't given this idea serious thought yet, I just think it would be pretty interesting.

Thoughts?

Fountain of Useless Information EvilPopKorn's Avatar
    Ooo A LAN party sounds awesome. One of JRPG games was talking about LAN parties and I've been meaning to go to one.
    |My Cosplay(s) for SJ 2015:|
    TBD

"Otaku are not driven by energy but by spirit." Genshiken 2

Hmmm... qualifiers for DoTA2, LoL, and SC2, with huge-broadcasted Semifinals and Finals the next day? Okay, I'm really liking this idea

It would take a ton of work and volunteering though... and a ton of time out of what could be spent enjoying panels and such around the convention. Given I've only been to San Japan, and have yet to ever run a panel or be an event volunteer, I'm thinking I should give this a couple years of thought before seriously considering running this myself.

Of course, I don't mind at all if anyone wants to take this idea and roll with it themselves.

*sigh* the big problem here would be internet .-. and from what I saw in a booklet it wasn't cheap at the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    *sigh* the big problem here would be internet .-. and from what I saw in a booklet it wasn't cheap at the hotel.
    A LAN party would not require internets. It's a Local Area Network party, usually done with ethernets attached to several devices through a large router. Also done with wifi.
    San Japan Main Gopher and Karaoke Coordinator
    "If something happens, I get blamed."

Check out my Work! Come, buy things!
    --> SelectionsX <--

this would be awesome because i would love to see a LOL or DOTA2 torny.

I'm all for this idea. Would be fun to do.

We could have a Minecraft server going as well.
    Attendee of SJ:3, SJ4TW, and SJ Mach 5.

If you saw the game room, we have the space. We just need to be contacted by someone who'd be willing to run it.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Ooh, love this idea! Full support!

wow this is what ive been wanting!! having a LoL or Dota2 tourney would be amazing too! and i know a minecraft server would be really popular. tf2 might be good. or starcraft? if we could get this started up i know itd bring in alot of support.

Hurray!!! We could do some Counter STrike GO tourneys too. Depending on the size, they might have to be 1v1 -_- but its better than nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Bebo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri View Post
    A LAN party would not require internets. It's a Local Area Network party, usually done with ethernets attached to several devices through a large router. Also done with wifi.
    -.-''' why did I type that gosh I feel stupid.....oh looking at the time stamp it was my third all nighter hehe

if this happens and i am in town, i will gladly join in.
    "A Wise Man lives for Today, but looks forward to tomorow."
    -unknown

I'm all for this.
    Any more news on this?

No, haven't found a group interested to do this for us without asking for a high amount of compensation.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

I stroke my beard in contemplation.

I can do it as long as we don't have more than 50 people. I have a 24-port switch and an extra access point I can use. The only question is, what does the hotel have to say about broadcasting our own WiFi signal? I can use a channel the hotel doesn't use, and keep the range somewhat short.

SOURCE: ISP engineer / Net Admin AS / CCENT/ITILv6 certification holder.
    Last edited by TheSockNinja; 05-13-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: wired is so 2002
    THAT'S NOT AN RF ADAPTER OH GOD STOP

I've acquired another switch! That should amount to 45 people available without the problems of screwing with WiFi.

Just gotta get some configuration underway and we should be golden!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSockNinja View Post
    I stroke my beard in contemplation.

I can do it as long as we don't have more than 50 people. I have a 24-port switch and an extra access point I can use. The only question is, what does the hotel have to say about broadcasting our own WiFi signal? I can use a channel the hotel doesn't use, and keep the range somewhat short.

SOURCE: ISP engineer / Net Admin AS / CCENT/ITILv6 certification holder.
    It would be located in the Convention Center. We should talk in person about this. Soon.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    It would be located in the Convention Center. We should talk in person about this. Soon.
    Agreed! Shouldn't take more than an afternoon to configure. I can even make my own network cables.

It's official! San Japan Lan is GO! I should be set up ALL WEEKEND! Network infrastructure includes support for WiFi, but wired is best.

I need you to tell me what games would interest you enough to bring your PC!!

I've been thinking of running a Minecraft server then making a video of what we build (or destroy) over the course of the weekend.