Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overweight Cosplay: opinions?

Overweight Cosplay: opinions?

I want to cosplay with my girlfriend... But, I'm a bit terrified to be an overweight cosplayer... What is your opinion?
    She told me to go for it...

achieving awesomeness since day 1 alycan16's Avatar
    i say go for it

Arriety - 100% done
    Parasoul from Skullgirls- 100% done
    Usagi Tsukino- 100% done
    Princess Peach Masquerade 90% done

Do it....and if any body tells you something you can tell then,"i dont remember asking for your opinion"

IS THIS THE REALITY YOU WANTED?! minimoni96's Avatar
    go for it. and don't worry about what people will say to you. ^_^
    ~J-chan's Cosplay Plans for San Japan Mach 5~
    Sandplay Singing of the Dragon!Megurine Luka - VOCALOID
    Serah Farron - Final Fantasy XIII
    Aqua - Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
    Ukraine - Axis Powers Hetalia

Forever shall support SerahxSnow, MikuxLen, UkrainexCanada, and LukaxGakupo. <3

Time Lord Notorious KittyAnne7152's Avatar
    Of course do it.
    But do it well. Tailor things to fit your body type. It will not only make you look better, you'll feel less self conscious, and therefore will be able to have more fun.
    And cosplay is all about fun, right?

SJ Mach V, tentative ideas.
    Idris, the TARDIS- Doctor Who | Pip Bernadotte- Hellsing Ultimate |The Tenth Doctor- Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by KittyAnne7152 View Post
    Of course do it.
    But do it well. Tailor things to fit your body type. It will not only make you look better, you'll feel less self conscious, and therefore will be able to have more fun.
    And cosplay is all about fun, right?
    Thiiiiiiiis.
    If your clothes fit you properly, you'll get tons more respect for it.
    sj 4tw cosplay list:

friday; love is war miku, cendrillon miku (masquerade)

saturday; dave, estonia (panel ONLY), cendrillon miku (contest)

sunday; shuu, guiliastes

Don't worry about what people say!!! Who cares about what people think...Cosplay is all about having fun!!! I'm an overweight cosplayer myself...and I'm going to make the best of it! So you should just go for it and most of all HAVE FUN!!

~2014 Cosplay~

Fox!Norway - (Hetalia)
    Finland - (Hetalia)
    Mikasa - (Attack on Titan)

City on the River which flows through the land of Fire and Ice

Go For It

And if anyone gives you any crap about it, just ask them, "Who's the cosplayer here?"
    Facebook
    Deviantart
    SJ 6 Cosplays: Pimpachu, Grunkle Stan (Gravity Falls), & HitPony!
    Avi by Ubisoft, edited by http://kyo4kusanagi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d53j3hw

Pretty much what everyone's already said, the point of cosplay is to be fun, so just make sure to have fun. And if anyone tries to stop your fun, tell 'em to sod off.

http://chubbycosplay.tumblr.com/

Moving this to a more appropriate section, but I also strongly encourage y'all to check out this body image positive tumblr for cosplay.

Have to cosplay next year anyway...
    I procrastinated and didn't get to buy the outfit. Thanks guys! If I don't lose weight by next SJ (Hope I do <3), then I'll go ahead and cosplay with my gf anyways. Thank you!
    PS: I'm pretty sure she's going as Ryuk... and if she goes as Ryuk next year she adamently refuses to do RyukxLight :P Apparently that was requested at Mizumi Con? lol

I cosplayed Vincent Valentine for my first cosplay back when I was overweight. I made it so it fit my body type and you can't even tell I was 230-240 pounds back then in the pictures.

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/82131/

So yeah, don't worry too much about your size. Just have fun!
    Last edited by RedeadDie; 07-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
    San-Japan 6
    Cecil - Welcome to Night Vale
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Rainbow Dash-hole - MLP .MOV
    Death & Jo Harvelle - Supernatural
    Louis Despatis - Honor Amongst Thieves

Do it! Cosplay is all about fun! You wouldn't wanna miss out on having fun
    "If you think of me as a women, I am a raging demon.
    If you think of me as a man, I am a female angel."

-Awashima

You know, obviously the right thing to do is whatever the hell you want to, but I think for your sake, we all need to be honest: there are gonna be people who miss the point, are gonna judge you negatively, and may speak their mind about it. Even here, people are telling you 'oh, yes, but you have to do it the right way, you have to 'tailor it right.'

In my opinion, if you've got the right stuff, but it fits perhaps a little wrong or weird, you have to ask yourself, how much do you really care? Personally, I'd slap on a loose or tight fitting cosplay if I wanted to wear the character, and I'd make sure anyone who opens their stupid mouth remembers that if we wanted to be judged we'd be in the contest.

Tailor it right DOES make a lot of different. You can sell the same fashion style in different sizes as long as it tailors to the body type. Obviously for more curvey people you wouldn't make a tubular figure shirt for them, but inspire the same basic style to fit a pear shape or a A line figure.

Yes, tailoring can make the difference between the cosplay looking too tight on certain points you and end up making you look bigger. When you tailor to your build and just even add a little extra here and there, you can look thinner than wearing something forced/tighter on you.
    San-Japan 6

...Okay, let me put this another way:

If you care about it looking the best for your body type, tailor it to yourself. That goes for all clothing. But there's a difference between telling people to tailor clothing if they care about it looking as good as possible, and telling people 'if you are bigger, then you MUST tailor it.' The latter implies that if you do not tailor it then you should NOT cosplay, no matter how much you sugar-coat it.

I don't judge people's cosplays, but just give tips and tricks from what I learned.

Never said you shouldn't cosplay if it isn't tailored. Just saying it helps a lot. Take it from an ex-overweight cosplayer.
    San-Japan 6

Time Lord Notorious KittyAnne7152's Avatar
    The OP implied they were terrified of essentially being criticized and told they look bad merely because of their weight, so I take that as meaning that they would, in fact, care about looking the best they can in order to not be criticized. And that means tailoring.
    People are vicious, honestly, it doesn't matter if the cosplayer themself doesn't care how they look, they will be judged, people will make snide comments, etc, etc...
    I mean, I could care less about what I see on other cosplayers. To paraphrase something a very wise man by the name of Santino Rice once said "She could wear pasties and a maxi pad, who gives a sh*t?" (although, that sounds slightly terrifying, on ANYONE). All I care about is making myself look the best that I can, and hey, to each their own. But not everyone in the cosplay community shares my opinion, and you have to be realistic about that.

tl;dr, the OP didn't want to be criticized, I gave my opinion based on that, people can cosplay whatever the f*ck they want, but haters are definitely gonna hate.

SJ Mach V, tentative ideas.
    Idris, the TARDIS- Doctor Who | Pip Bernadotte- Hellsing Ultimate |The Tenth Doctor- Doctor Who

I have seen a serious anime series where the girls basically wear pasties and a maxi pad. At least, that's all their outfits cover.

Please no one do this at a convention, doesn't matter who you are.
    San-Japan 6

Quote Originally Posted by KittyAnne7152 View Post
    The OP implied they were terrified of essentially being criticized and told they look bad merely because of their weight, so I take that as meaning that they would, in fact, care about looking the best they can in order to not be criticized. And that means tailoring.
    People are vicious, honestly, it doesn't matter if the cosplayer themself doesn't care how they look, they will be judged, people will make snide comments, etc, etc...
    I mean, I could care less about what I see on other cosplayers. To paraphrase something a very wise man by the name of Santino Rice once said "She could wear pasties and a maxi pad, who gives a sh*t?" (although, that sounds slightly terrifying, on ANYONE). All I care about is making myself look the best that I can, and hey, to each their own. But not everyone in the cosplay community shares my opinion, and you have to be realistic about that.

tl;dr, the OP didn't want to be criticized, I gave my opinion based on that, people can cosplay whatever the f*ck they want, but haters are definitely gonna hate.
    I think that's quite a bit of conjecture from a vague post about being terrified (there's no context clue or anything to connect OP's terror with caring about criticism). Not only that, but you're already biased that the only way to combat fear of criticism is to work your hardest to give people little to nothing to criticize, which is wrong. We could also help OP build confidence in telling nit-pickers off.