Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Feedback Here

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss View Post
    As Jay said, we on the Events team are not allowing that freedom to go anywhere. This is a convention BY the con-goer, FOR the con-goer and we most certainly will continue to do our best to cram as much awesome fan-made stuff into the convention.

We want your panels...we NEED your panels. We want everyone to have a good time and put on good shows. Of course it's hard to cram EVERYTHING into a 3-day span of time but we will still be doing our best to do so.

Thanks again for all the feedback, please keep it coming! Don't be afraid to speak up if you have something to say!
    She's more specifically talking about cosplay-related panels. Quite a few of people we know have been too afraid to enter in their cosplay-related panels because they feel harsh judgement from others. A lot of good cosplayers have plenty they want to share, but feel they'll be shot down for trying to apply for a cosplay-related panel.

I guess our question is, does this freedom apply to those who are applying for cosplay-related panels?

Quote Originally Posted by amara View Post
    The thing is, gauging interest in this type of thing is precarious, and convincing someone who doesn't work for the con, but is, by my standards, an accomplished cosplayer, to run panels like this. I'll work on talking to her about this, because she knows her stuff, and while I would love to keep hogging her advice to myself, other people deserve to hear out her experience.
    I'd love to see and hear a panel from someone like your friend. I hope she'll apply for a cosplay type panel and she is approved!
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by RedeadDie View Post
    She's more specifically talking about cosplay-related panels. Quite a few of people we know have been too afraid to enter in their cosplay-related panels because they feel harsh judgement from others. A lot of good cosplayers have plenty they want to share, but feel they'll be shot down for trying to apply for a cosplay related panel.
    Events is the ones who reviews cosplay panel submissions, not the cosplay dept.

Best way to get approved? A good writeup and show initiative.

We want everyone to submit but if you don't submit, you can't take the first step.

FYI: We are going to drop 1 panel room next year. This is being done so that all rooms can be larger capacity. The trade-off is that most panel rooms will be able to fit around 100-130 instead of just 50-80 and the 2nd largest room besides Main Events will be able to fit around 500-700 people.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Thank you very much Proz! Now I can tell others they should have no fear.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park

Lets Be Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by RedeadDie View Post
    I'd love to see and hear a panel from someone like your friend. I hope she'll apply for a cosplay type panel and she is approved!
    I'll talk to her. We'll see if she agrees to it. It'll just be another in a long line of things she can blame on me.
    <3 amara, who was once mamaesme but decided that she didn't like being associated with Twilight anymore.

I feel I should clarify something.

My, personal not professional, issue with some of the cosplay panels that were approved this year isn't because I didn't like the individuals running it or felt they weren't qualified or any kind of judging. I want to kill that rumor right now. That is not the issue and it's extremely unfair to us to imply that it was.

The issue I had, personal not professional, is we had some fan-run panels that were essentially teaching the same thing as another one of the official guest-run panels. I, personally, feel there is little point in having more than one panel for the same topic, especially when it comes to cosplay. This is something I intend to speak with Jay about soon.

Just, please, don't assume you're being judged. You're not. It's purely a logistics matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicRenegade84 View Post
    The one thing I kind of had a problem with (and once again, it was thanks to my room that kind of put this theory into my head), and that was about 20-25% of the con-goers only being there for Friday and Saturday night's rave. I'm sorry, but when I expect to go to a con, I expect cosplayers, not people wearing surgical masks.

I don't want to be the bad guy here, but if you're coming to an anime convention, at least know your stuff besides coming here just to get high on ecstasy and dance under bright lights and dance music.
    This is a Texas convention and those are known to be "party conventions" in the anime convention community. If those people are willing to pay for a day or weekend badge just for the dances, then let them do it as long as they aren't caught breaking the rules (like bringing drugs). Often these people have an interest in what the convention is about too. I know a group of bored Plano residents that started going to A-kon just for the dances and room parties, but as the years went on they started getting more and more into the other aspects of the convention and would even participate in the cosplay contests with fantastic costumes from "casual" series like Speed Racer or Batman. They also often spend money and support the dealers and artists as well.

tl;dr The dances are just as important of draw as guests, panels, and vendors. Conventions often get repeat attendees, and even staff from people just attending the dance one year. I know I always go to as many dances as I can when they have them at conventions.

Quote Originally Posted by thegearproject View Post
    The issue I had, personal not professional, is we had some fan-run panels that were essentially teaching the same thing as another one of the official guest-run panels. I, personally, feel there is little point in having more than one panel for the same topic, especially when it comes to cosplay. This is something I intend to speak with Jay about soon.
    And by that logic, why don't we all put the voice actors into one panel? Certainly, this will save the convention space, time, and go over what is needed to be covered by the voice actors in one place at the same time. Same goes for improv shows. Surely, we will save more time by cramming all of them into one single event. How about How to Start a Webcomic, the Webcomic Industry, and Self-Publishing? Those all pretty much fall into the same category and certainly a good host will be able to hit the finer points within a one-hour time frame.

My point is, unless you are Jesus Christ in the flesh, you cannot cover everything there needs to be covered in one panel with a one to two hour time limit. You can try. You can try your darnedest. For one, I am appreciative of the many different variety of panels. A panel on thrifting and cosplaying? Genius. Cosplaying on a budget? Heck yeah, brilliant. I am always budgeting my cosplay and would love to learn a tip or two. Character representation while cosplaying? This is a must for many people who dress up and attend conventions. To have a panel that goes further into such topic and does not just skim over it, that is amazing and I adore the panelist's drive to make this a lengthy topic.

Plus, I love having a different view from different people when it comes to cosplay. One panelist's opinion may be accepted by the majority, but there will always be that select few who do not sit well with it. It's fact.
    Well. Dang.

SJ6
    Mordecai (Regular Show)

Lets Be Friends
    To tag onto the previous commenter, I want to add, these official cosplay panels are being taught by the same people for two years in a row. Not to say I don't like these cosplay guests because I do, but there is no variety in the guests or the panels. What needs to be looked at is variety with the official cosplay panels. If you want to keep the same cosplay guests, do it, but change up what they are talking about panel-wise. I also recommend adding onto your cosplay guest list, new blood will equal new opinions in panels. There needs to be some variety somewhere.
    <3 amara, who was once mamaesme but decided that she didn't like being associated with Twilight anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
    And by that logic, why don't we all put the voice actors into one panel? Certainly, this will save the convention space, time, and go over what is needed to be covered by the voice actors in one place at the same time. Same goes for improv shows. Surely, we will save more time by cramming all of them into one single event. How about How to Start a Webcomic, the Webcomic Industry, and Self-Publishing? Those all pretty much fall into the same category and certainly a good host will be able to hit the finer points within a one-hour time frame.

My point is, unless you are Jesus Christ in the flesh, you cannot cover everything there needs to be covered in one panel with a one to two hour time limit. You can try. You can try your darnedest. For one, I am appreciative of the many different variety of panels. A panel on thrifting and cosplaying? Genius. Cosplaying on a budget? Heck yeah, brilliant. I am always budgeting my cosplay and would love to learn a tip or two. Character representation while cosplaying? This is a must for many people who dress up and attend conventions. To have a panel that goes further into such topic and does not just skim over it, that is amazing and I adore the panelist's drive to make this a lengthy topic.

Plus, I love having a different view from different people when it comes to cosplay. One panelist's opinion may be accepted by the majority, but there will always be that select few who do not sit well with it. It's fact.
    I believe the gearproject was just trying to say there was no point in having two panels that cover the same information. When you submit a panel for San Japan (and most other conventions) you have to do a write up of what you plan to cover. If your list of things to cover mirrors the list of things a cosplay guest's panel plans to cover then it might be turned down, the same way if two con-goers both submitted similar panels it would be more than likely events would just select one panelist.

Quote Originally Posted by cat-chan View Post
    I believe the gearproject was just trying to say there was no point in having two panels that cover the same information. When you submit a panel for San Japan (and most other conventions) you have to do a write up of what you plan to cover. If your list of things to cover mirrors the list of things a cosplay guest's panel plans to cover then it might be turned down, the same way if two con-goers both submitted similar panels it would be more than likely events would just select one panelist.

From what I recall all panelists had to write out everything Jay needed to know about each panel. This included a detailed description. It's possible that panels with similar content just posted different panel descriptions that didn't make it clear that they were covering basically the same info. Since a lot of panelists don't have the info to contact other panelists, then the issue of same content is just how things go. I don't think panelists go out of their way cover info another panelist is doing. They simply don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiBritt View Post

From what I recall all panelists had to write out everything Jay needed to know about each panel. This included a detailed description. It's possible that panels with similar content just posted different panel descriptions that didn't make it clear that they were covering basically the same info. Since a lot of panelists don't have the info to contact other panelists, then the issue of same content is just how things go. I don't think panelists go out of their way cover info another panelist is doing. They simply don't know.
    I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that if someone submits a panel that is covering essentially the same thing as a guest's panel then it is a possibility it will be turned down because the cosplay director/events director doesn't want repeat content. I don't think they do either, but it is something that can happen.

I believe the point Rassilon was trying to get across that there was cosplay panels that only briefly mentioned or went over some things, but didn't dwell deeper into it. I rather see a panel that dwells deeper into a certain few things that were mentioned, than just briefly goes into it in a "catch-all" cosplay panel.

It's cosplay, it's a subject where things that were said by others will be repeated here and there, that's a given. However, we just don't like seeing cosplay panel ideas thrown out the window because "it's covered" when it really is just briefly gone over and not discussed more in depth.

As for doubling up panels, I entered a panel called "Cosplay to Runway" this year and it was approved. What was also approved was a "Careers in Cosplay" panel. I read the description for the other panel and I noticed how similar it was to mine. That's when I notified Jay, that the two panels were too similar and asked for him to pull mine. I even had to call a costumer/fashion instructor I invited to help host the panel and told her the panel was off because I didn't want the issue of too similar panels.

So yes, we do know the difference between "same panels" and panels that just mention the same things here and there.
    Last edited by RedeadDie; 08-15-2011 at 02:04 PM.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park

Heck, if someone submits a panel that is VERY similar to one decided on later that will be hosted by a guest, they should be able to appear in the panel as a co-host, to incorporate different takes on the subject at hand. What a brilliant idea!
    San Japan Main Gopher and Karaoke Coordinator
    "If something happens, I get blamed."

Check out my Work! Come, buy things!
    --> SelectionsX <--

That sounds like a good idea as well.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park

Overall, San-Japan was pretty fun. I'm very glad there will be a move to a bigger space, because the spacing was the one big issue we had, but it was indeed a big issue.
    I thought I would share one of our experiences though. Firstly, we pretty much attended this con because Bryan Massey was there. So we were super-stoked about going to That MANime show, a panel Saturday night with just J. Michael Tatum and Bryan Massey. I believe the panel started at 10. Voice Actors Unplugged was going on at 9, so we decided we would pop into that panel before going to get in line for That MANime show. So we get to the room for VA Unplugged, and the room is at capacity and there's a giant line waiting to get in as people leave. We wait in this line for a little while, then decide that we're clearly not going to get in, so we should just head to get in line for the other panel so that we can have good seats. We go stand in line at the other panel room-we are now first in line and super excited. A few minutes later the volunteer sitting at the door asks us if we're in line for That MANime show. We say yes and he tells us that it's been combined with VA Unplugged. We are understandably confused, so we head back to the other line and ask the volunteer at the door there if we are in fact in the right place. He says that he hasn't heard anything about that, but he will find out for us. After talking to a couple other staff members and waiting a few minutes a staff member comes up and tells us that That MANime show has in fact been canceled. That was extremely disappointing, partially because we were really looking forward to the panel, but also because if we had known that then we would have actually attended VA UNplugged, but because of that whole mess we missed both panels. Let me say that all of the staff members and volunteers who we talked to were extremely polite and helpful, and we were really impressed by them, but overall we were really disappointed. I know that stuff happens and sometimes cancellations can't be helped, but surely something about that situation could have been handled better.

His Little White Kitten DezzyDiamond's Avatar
    my only issue was that the closing ceremonies was not in a large enough room
    Last edited by DezzyDiamond; 08-16-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
    I will be selling at Mizuumi-con and Guesting

Quote Originally Posted by DezzyDiamond View Post
    my only issue was that the closing ceremonies was not in a large enough room
    This frustrated me too. When we signed the original contract we were told that we had to vacate the room which Main Events was assigned by 12pm Sunday. We didn't learn until weeks before the convention that we could have had Main Events up until 6pm. It was too late to move it as I had already worked it out with all lighting & sound contractors along with to vacate by 12pm and had already finalized the schedule so closing ceremonies was set.

Next year's Main Events will be far larger so it won't be an issue.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
    A few minutes later the volunteer sitting at the door asks us if we're in line for That MANime show. We say yes and he tells us that it's been combined with VA Unplugged. We are understandably confused, so we head back to the other line and ask the volunteer at the door there if we are in fact in the right place. He says that he hasn't heard anything about that, but he will find out for us. After talking to a couple other staff members and waiting a few minutes a staff member comes up and tells us that That MANime show has in fact been canceled.
    I'm sorry I didn't come by sooner, but I am glad that I at least got to tell the people that were waiting that the guests for that panel joined with the other voice actor panel at the time. I took down the sign as soon as I saw it and informed the volunteer at the doorway about the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylph View Post
    Overall, San-Japan was pretty fun. I'm very glad there will be a move to a bigger space, because the spacing was the one big issue we had, but it was indeed a big issue.
    I thought I would share one of our experiences though. Firstly, we pretty much attended this con because Bryan Massey was there. So we were super-stoked about going to That MANime show, a panel Saturday night with just J. Michael Tatum and Bryan Massey. I believe the panel started at 10. Voice Actors Unplugged was going on at 9, so we decided we would pop into that panel before going to get in line for That MANime show. So we get to the room for VA Unplugged, and the room is at capacity and there's a giant line waiting to get in as people leave. We wait in this line for a little while, then decide that we're clearly not going to get in, so we should just head to get in line for the other panel so that we can have good seats. We go stand in line at the other panel room-we are now first in line and super excited. A few minutes later the volunteer sitting at the door asks us if we're in line for That MANime show. We say yes and he tells us that it's been combined with VA Unplugged. We are understandably confused, so we head back to the other line and ask the volunteer at the door there if we are in fact in the right place. He says that he hasn't heard anything about that, but he will find out for us. After talking to a couple other staff members and waiting a few minutes a staff member comes up and tells us that That MANime show has in fact been canceled. That was extremely disappointing, partially because we were really looking forward to the panel, but also because if we had known that then we would have actually attended VA UNplugged, but because of that whole mess we missed both panels. Let me say that all of the staff members and volunteers who we talked to were extremely polite and helpful, and we were really impressed by them, but overall we were really disappointed. I know that stuff happens and sometimes cancellations can't be helped, but surely something about that situation could have been handled better.
    I had to approve the cancellation of this panel, and let me first say how absolutely sorry I am about that entire mess. I knew it was going to disappoint a lot of people, but for the most part the fact that this panel was put in for cancellation was a bit out of my hands and it had to be done.

Cancelling panels is not something we on the events staff EVER WANT OT HAVE TO DO. Caps for srs. Really, if it comes to that point it is something that we are intensely frustrated to have to do...but sometimes it just has to be done. I do apologize wholeheartedly...and rest assured that I am taking measures to make sure that next year something like this will absolutely NOT need to happen again. I don't want to ever have to put our attendees in that kind of situation...especially since any panel we have will likely have a large group of people very excited to see it. Disappointing our attendees just...well...it hurts me inside. The Dude cannot abide.

I will be working my booty off with Jay in planning for next year to make sure this kind of thing never has to happen again. Of course there will always be craziness on the field of battle, and I can't GUARANTEE that this will never happen...but I will work really hard to reduce the chances of such a thing happening again. I don't like disappointed faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Sai-co View Post
    Also, HAWP may live in Texas. You should look into getting them to come. Anthony Burch works at Gearbox and their HQ is in Texas so, yea, they hopefully live in state.
    I like HAWP but digging further into it, HAWP is not based in Texas. The episodes are shot in Arizona (Ash's dad place). Anthony is employed by Gearbox but it was not specified if he moved to Dallas.
    In Charge Of The Chaos