Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was good, what was bad

Thumbs down What was good, what was bad

So I don't actually have a lot of good things to say honestly. The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Last year I ran my mouth about how awesome San Japan was because I was blown away by the improvements on the year before and I was very proud to say my hometown has a really cool convention finally.

The security this year was RIDICULOUS. the green shirts were OFFENSIVELY RUDE and I don't think there was a single thing I could do without getting yelled at with a megaphone. I was feeling very sick on saturday and I exited the most high traffic areas and sat down against a wall and I was actually yelled at. Not asked to move, YELLED at to move. When I tired to explain I wasn't feeling very well the "green shirt" yelled over me that things have to keep moving. I'm sorry but at a convention everywhere is busy.
    Not only were they rude but they upheld the most ridiculous of the rules and said "it's in the rulebook" and totally missed the most important aspect: security. I actually carried my sword around all through friday and saturday and not a single person told me to get my weapon checked. I had no idea where to even do that because every time I tried to stop and ask at a desk or counter I got yelled at. Where I come from we call this micromanaging and it's not an effective way to run an operation.

I spend a lot of money on conventions and I would really appreciate any measure of courtesy from staff at all. I honestly felt not only as though I was not given any courtesy, but I was actually being harassed.

Highly disappointed. Seriously guys. Get it together.
    O quam sanctum

what was good*
    O quam sanctum

New Person
    Quote Originally Posted by 13enrogue View Post
    The security this year was RIDICULOUS. the green shirts were OFFENSIVELY RUDE and I don't think there was a single thing I could do without getting yelled at with a megaphone.
    This entirely. I was walking into the dealer room and my badge keeps flipping so it was backwards and I got barked at to keep it turned forward.

Yeah, I was very disappointed with the security. The convention center was small and could not fit all the people. The lack of space made it seem as though they had not expected such a turn out. Because of how many people showed up, there were hardly any seats left for everyone to sit down at. My group had a lot of members with uncomfortable shoes and we /had/ to sit down. The security members kept telling us to move. Eventually, I got so fed up with it, I refused to move. I told them that there was no where else to sit, otherwise we would have been sitting in the lobby drinking Starbucks. I mean, we were desperate enough to sit on the ground. Besides that, my group members tried to get into the cosplay chess panel and were rudely told that they could not come in and that they would interrupt. I thought panels were supposed to be open to everyone to watch, at least. Also, those of our group who had attended many conventions believe that Saturday is supposed to be the one day that absolutely is worth attending a convention for. We felt that the panels were less than satisfying for Saturday (the only day we attended). On top of that, we all agreed that the shopping selection was decent, but most of the stands sold the same things as other ones. It lacked variation.

Otherwise, the Batman Cosplay group enjoyed themselves.

Past 10 Posts
    Besides that, my group members tried to get into the cosplay chess panel and were rudely told that they could not come in and that they would interrupt. I thought panels were supposed to be open to everyone to watch, at least.
    Hey, I ran the Cosplay Chess panel...who told you this? The green shirts? I'm highly doubting it was my team but if it was someone at the door I'll make sure that doesn't happen again. You're not the first to mention something like this happening either. I do apologize you guys couldn't make it in the room though. We'll get this figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
    We felt that the panels were less than satisfying for Saturday (the only day we attended).
    This as well.

However I felt that I was sitting in my hotel room for most of Friday finding something to do. Besides the tea tasting panel there was little else. Saturday had many events I wanted to go to but they all required I line up an hour before (something I wasn't allowed to do or would be yelled at furiously).
    Due to the inability to go to every or even most panels I wanted to go to I ended up only going to less than a handful. I wasn't very happy about it, so maybe either do something about Silver passes/gold passes and non-"major event" panels or something all together to enlarge the panel rooms maybe twice their size.
    I'm happy about moving out of the Marriott. The Security there pissed me off to the point where I almost wanted to cry. At one point I was sitting with my friends drinking starbucks and a security officer comes up to me and says
    "Are you here for the convention? You need to go to the third floor and stay there. you can't come down here this is for guests"
    I had bought a hotel room just the same- yet I was being pushed away into my little "hole". Not okay.

Quote Originally Posted by thephoenix View Post
    Hey, I ran the Cosplay Chess panel...who told you this? The green shirts? I'm highly doubting it was my team but if it was someone at the door I'll make sure that doesn't happen again. You're not the first to mention something like this happening either. I do apologize you guys couldn't make it in the room though. We'll get this figured out.
    Thanks so much! Yes, some of our members made it in, but then there were a few of them who were told that they couldn't enter. I will get more information from the ones who did not make it in as to who exactly did not let them in .

Edit: According to one of the members, "It was a blond lady in a green shirt". I guess they were jumping down everyone's throats :/
    Last edited by Catwoman; 08-08-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Past 10 Posts
    Here to shower a little bit of volunteer love~

Maybe I was frequenting a different area of the convention than these other people because I was super impressed with the volunteers and safety staff this year.
    • Friday: I want to give a huge thank you to the dark-haired lady who got my table several cups of lemonade! We all appreciated the gesture more than you know.
    • Sunday: I want to specifically thank Joey who was on security for the Social Room on Sunday. Without him, our Ouran event would not have been such a success. He kept in constant communication with us about when and how many people to let in the room. He arranged for us to have water and those fancy silver pitchers. He kept the area clear and helped us empty the room at the end. SUPER SUPER PROPS TO JOEY!!! (Yes, I did need all those exclamation points.)

As for the bad...there really wasn't anything the convention could do about my bad experiences. They can't control idiots in the elevator or the hotel turning off the A/C at midnight :/.

I'm surprised to hear that other people had such lousy experiences with the security. People were really polite to me the whole weekend, save for 2 obnoxious cosplayers. The only time security was brusque with me was Saturday night/ Sunday morning when I fell asleep in a chair on the second floor. Some guy in a green shirt tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Wake up. You can't sleep here."
    "The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."

I Know Post
    for the most part i would say that the volunteers and security did a great job, save for one of those guys in the green shirts that was rude to my friend and making dumb comments about his prop, but other than that, everything was good

Quote Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
    Because of how many people showed up, there were hardly any seats left for everyone to sit down at. My group had a lot of members with uncomfortable shoes and we /had/ to sit down. The security members kept telling us to move. Eventually, I got so fed up with it, I refused to move. I told them that there was no where else to sit, otherwise we would have been sitting in the lobby drinking Starbucks. I mean, we were desperate enough to sit on the ground.
    One huge thing you have to remember is, THERE ARE FIRE HAZARDS. With that many people in one area, you do have to keep the halls clear. I was NOT a volunteer and I understand that. They are moving to a bigger location next year, so hopefully it wont be an issue next year, but I don't think it's the security's fault. The Fire Marshall was on every ones butts, so they had to keep them happy in order to keep the con going. Sound like reason enough for them being stressed? (ps. not trying to sound rude, just wanted to put all that out there for people to keep in mind about the hall ways)

Lets Be Friends
    From what I've heard, there were some fines this year. That would explain the intensity by security and volunteers.
    <3 amara, who was once mamaesme but decided that she didn't like being associated with Twilight anymore.

I agree about the security staff or "green shirts." I don't mind people trying to enforce rules, but there is a right and wrong way to go about it and offensively yelling at people who ARE obeying the rules is not the way to do it. I don't care who you are or how "funny" you think you may be, if you are yelling at me for an hour straight (as happened in the registration line Thursday night) for no good reason, I'm going to unhappy and want to leave.

The time I really wanted to chew someone out was when I was entering the dealer's room ( for the 3rd or 4th time that day) and after showing my badge one of the security staff at the door grabbed for my cane that was in my hand and actually pulled it away from me to check it. Assumably, he thought it was some kind of weapon that hadn't been checked (when my two prop weapons had been checked), and I had to say to him, "It's a CANE, because I'm DISABLED," before he would let me enter. Seriously, don't rip people's canes out of their hands. Just because I look young doesn't mean I don't need to actually use the thing.

Not to mention that last year I actually left the con because of being yelled at for sitting on the floor when I was sitting due to a medical condition, so because I could not stand, and there was no place but the floor to sit, I had to leave. Immediately this year, I remember how horrible the staff had been last year. I was smarter about avoiding this problem, but really, I shouldn't have to.

Past 10 Posts
    One huge thing you have to remember is, THERE ARE FIRE HAZARDS.
    If you have legs and you can move, you are not a fire hazard. This reasoning is so overdone. If it was an extremely large group of people blocking exitways with things that would be difficult to move, I'd agree with you, but if a fire breaks out, time me to see how fast my ass is up and heading for an exit.

As far as security goes, a lot of them were very abrupt with the actions I saw. There was no "ask, then tell"...it was just a straight out "tell, then yell" if not straight into the yelling. Guys, we're paying money to attend these cons, if you ask me to move because I'm sitting in the wrong area, I'll move. You don't have to command me to do it. I get that some people may brush you off but fire a warning shot before you go out guns blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by amara View Post
    From what I've heard, there were some fines this year. That would explain the intensity by security and volunteers.
    This is not true. But fire marshals showed up pre-con and during the con at random times doing inspections to ensure that we were compliant.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

If you have legs and you can move, you are not a fire hazard. This reasoning is so overdone. If it was an extremely large group of people blocking exitways with things that would be difficult to move, I'd agree with you, but if a fire breaks out, time me to see how fast my ass is up and heading for an exit.
    While that is a humorous part of the late Mitch Hedberg's routine, it's not actually applicable legally. Seriously, try telling that to a fire fighter or fire marshal. See what happens.

Lets Be Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    This is not true. But fire marshals showed up pre-con and during the con at random times doing inspections to ensure that we were compliant.
    I shall pass this fact along to my source and call her a liar liar pants on fire for this faulty info. Thanks for clearing this up.
    <3 amara, who was once mamaesme but decided that she didn't like being associated with Twilight anymore.

but if a fire breaks out, time me to see how fast my ass is up and heading for an exit.
    Ok, but now try multiplying that frame of mind by about 6,000 plus, and not everyone can run as fast as others. In the end Fire Marshals are not concerned about "Oh if there's a fire not everyone will get out", more like "this space is so cramped if a fire breaks out people will get trampled".
    Michael Hicks
    San Japan Support Director-"Being everywhere and nowhere since '09"

Well for me the con was pretty good, I guess the only real bad thing about it was the Yuri and hentai panels. At Yuri-Fest the 3 hentais that were shown had no yuri in it what-so-ever (Except for Cosplay sex Machine, but we failed to see it) and then at Hentai-Fest we ended up watching the same hentais that were shown at yuri-Fest, at first it was a bit funny to re-watch some of it, but then it got boring and I left earlier than I usually do. So whoever is the one who plans these panels, please check to make sure that the hentais do have Yuri (for yuri-fest) and make sure that you don't show the same things that were shown at YF in the HF panel k. But other than that the con went pretty weel as expected X3

CospPopProductions Member Valizougon Kick's Avatar
    ah , I don't particularly remember a time when the staff was rude or nice, they were pretty neutral with me despite my obstructing costume/positions

if anything I would say they were being a bit lax, I napped on two to three separate occasions on the 2nd floor*ninja*

but I will say it was FAR FAR too cramped ;\ I completely understand though that they couldn't just up and change locations after seeing the preregs jump in but it still saddened a panda to see people not being able to get into the cosplay show and it tore me to pieces when my friends and I were at the very spot that the closing ceremony cut the line D: D:!! ...shoulda jumped in as a single D:

getting back to too cramped, I spent most of my time out of well... anywhere for fear of my costume breaking and thus i didn't get to see many pictures of my costume D: (my sword did end up breaking on the day of competition and even after i repaired it..badly.. it was kicked around due to movement restrictions on everyone and i went on stage with it hanging by a thread D:! ) no one is really to blame for this san japan exploded i guess o.o ?

++ general complaint i hear at most cosplay shows is the audio problems missing/lost audio for cosplayers D: i only heard of two or three cases though so it could have been worse ;o

good side : water was refreshing <3 and was generally available, did a good job keeping up
    nice merchant area, wish there was more space for artists/ not in the hallway(i feel terrabad when people block artist tables for pictures D: on accident or otherwise)

improvements:
    mmm lobby music would have been nice but : D?
    bigger game room/more areas to play*must keep in mind of squatters*
    at some point i heard someone complain about the lanyard ripping the badges but eeh ? i didn't have that issue

D: just my two cents