Thread: A Panel Suggestion

Tasty Artwork PeanutButterSculpture's Avatar

A Panel Suggestion

I know it's pretty early for this, but I figured it'd be better to be early than late.

I love acting, I find it very enjoyable, and I'm sure a great many other cosplayers do as well. It's a rewarding feeling to know you've pulled off a character well, and it's awesome to make the fangirls/boys smile.

However, no matter how gorgeous the costume, no matter how detailed and meticulous it is, it can be very embarrassing when someone asks you to do a line/mannerism of the character, and you can't. Likewise, a costume could be awful, but someone who pulls off the character well could and would make people look past that.

This is why I am suggesting an In-Character 101 panel.

I will gladly run it if nobody else wants to, or if someone does I'll be happy to help. We'd discuss various aspects of characters (walks, accents, behavior, etc.) and give examples. The audience would be free to ask for demonstrations of certain characters (preferably if they can describe the character accurately in case we don't know it) and we'll cover improv acting.

At the end, we'll have a few improv games for people to play if they choose. Suggestions are welcome with open arms, and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Toss your ideas out there and we'll see what works!
    The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has a limit. ~Albert Einstein

Panel event submissions will be starting in November.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Lets Be Friends
    Sounds like a great idea. And improv games are very, very popular.
    <3 amara, who was once mamaesme but decided that she didn't like being associated with Twilight anymore.

You should definitely put something in there about how to carry your voice through the mask. You did that really well I felt. I was the regular-clothed judge at Anime Moth.

Tasty Artwork PeanutButterSculpture's Avatar
    Yes! The stage voice. An important topic to cover, especially for skits. I've seen a lot of skits where the participants' voices were nigh inaudible.
    The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has a limit. ~Albert Einstein

City on the River which flows through the land of Fire and Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sebastian View Post
    You should definitely put something in there about how to carry your voice through the mask. You did that really well I felt. I was the regular-clothed judge at Anime Moth.
    I must agree with Seb on this one. Also, maybe we could cross promote out panels or some such?
    Facebook
    Deviantart
    SJ 6 Cosplays: Pimpachu, Grunkle Stan (Gravity Falls), & HitPony!
    Avi by Ubisoft, edited by http://kyo4kusanagi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d53j3hw

Hate to be the buzzkill, but almost all of this is covered in the official Cosplay Presentation panel.

Quote Originally Posted by thegearproject View Post
    Hate to be the buzzkill, but almost all of this is covered in the official Cosplay Presentation panel.
    Surely that panel only covers what you do when you're on the stage? Methinks this panel goes a bit farther.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sebastian View Post
    Surely that panel only covers what you do when you're on the stage? Methinks this panel goes a bit farther.
    It covers hall and what to do when being photographed, as well. Pretty much all aspects of presentation.

EDIT: I bring this up, because there was something of a problem of a few panels being approved this year that essentially taught the same thing as other panels, including official ones. It's something we need to curb so we can make room for more unique panel ideas.

Okay this is my official word.

I take in all submissions, and i want as many as i can get. I want new ideas, old ideas, crazy ideas, and everything in between. That said there will always be some panels added, cause as a convention we need the standbys.

All that said im a believer in something can be covered more then once and different views help. Something can be covered widely and some parts of it can be focused upon. I will not put up the same exact panel with a different name run by a different person though. But everyone with any idea fully formed enough to put in the submission should submit it, and we will take it from there.

P.S. TGP this is also something we need to discuss off board, please send me a email when you can with your thoughts on the matter we had.