Thread: Kimono Tying Panel

Lurker

Kimono Tying Panel

Of all things Asian, this should have been a panel. This would have been as good as the corset panel. I hope there is one next year. This theme could be further expanded with other spin offs for traditional style Japanese and Chinese clothing. One night time panel could be "The Robing of Hakama." Any other suggestions would be appreciated and commenting to those who schedule the panels would be greatly appreciated.

Weve run this once or twice before and i do like having it. But less someone capable submits to the run the panel, I have no one to run it. It is something that if submitted will be added though.

Lurker

We are self governing

How about a self directed panel? Call it the Secret Society of Kimono Tying. All you would need is a person to direct group discussion. The panel will only allow those who are wearing Kimonos or bring one with him/her. Admission: 1 Kimono. If it was structured right, it could be a lot of fun as people discuss their own ceremony of dressing, and such. For information, the person directing the panel discussion could bring slides that mesh with the topics.

Kimono Dressing more appropirate

While I think it would be a good idea to have a panel on kimono I don't think it being limited to tying would be appropriate. Kimonos, even the most simply such as yukata are multilayer to be properly dress and obis also have many parts to them sometimes. There are several kinds of kimono and just as many kinds of obi with certain formalities or rules attached to them. Such as a Furisode is a kimono for only women who are unmarried until the age of 30. Also, a furisode with a fur collar means the girl is turning of age in Japan (21). There are kimono that can be worn by only married women, and some that can be worn by both married and unmarried women. Then there are obis you can only wear with certain kimono as well. The problem is that what most people don't know is you have to get a certification in Japan to be consider 'proper' to dress in kimono by yourself or you go to someone who is a professional dresser.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivyseabreeze View Post
    How about a self directed panel? Call it the Secret Society of Kimono Tying. All you would need is a person to direct group discussion. The panel will only allow those who are wearing Kimonos or bring one with him/her. Admission: 1 Kimono. If it was structured right, it could be a lot of fun as people discuss their own ceremony of dressing, and such. For information, the person directing the panel discussion could bring slides that mesh with the topics.
    I don't see this as a good idea for a panel to be limited to just people with kimono since there will be a lot of people curious about kimono but don't own one. But what this reminds me is of Kimono De Jack. It started in Kyoto via twitter and people put the word out for kimono enthusiasts to meet. It hasn't really picked up outside of Japan but for a few places, most notable in UK. The only one I have heard about in the US was in Florida. It would be fun I think to have a "Kimono De Jack" meeting time at San Japan. The hard part would be getting the word out enough so people who have kimono are aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Weve run this once or twice before and i do like having it. But less someone capable submits to the run the panel, I have no one to run it. It is something that if submitted will be added though.
    What would are the requirements or you are looking for a panel on Kimono?

Lurker

Kimono De Jack and Kimono Themed Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I don't see this as a good idea for a panel to be limited to just people with kimono since there will be a lot of people curious about kimono but don't own one. But what this reminds me is of Kimono De Jack. It started in Kyoto via twitter and people put the word out for kimono enthusiasts to meet. It hasn't really picked up outside of Japan but for a few places, most notable in UK. The only one I have heard about in the US was in Florida. It would be fun I think to have a "Kimono De Jack" meeting time at San Japan. The hard part would be getting the word out enough so people who have kimono are aware of it.
    Kimono De Jack, I have never heard of it. It sounds pretty cool if a mass Kimono event could be organized at next years San Japan. I think that would be killer to gather and do a parade around the convention.

OK, yes, a panel should not be just for those who wear or bring a Kimono. However, it would be easier to have a self regulated panel if the participates had or have experiences wearing one. I don't think it is that difficult to have a self regulated group with a person directing discussion. Many groups/panels gather together, without an expert authority, to learn, discuss, and bond with one another.

I am not saying there shouldn't be a Kimono panel with participates who do not wear or bring one. I think the event should allow who ever wants to show up for the panel. However, being informed of the problem about not having a host for the panel; I was offering a constructive suggestion for getting around not having a host, so that there could be some form of a Kimono panel next year.

I am open to suggestions, any and all that involves there being a Kimono related themed panel next year.

Lurker

Kimono Tying

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    While I think it would be a good idea to have a panel on kimono I don't think it being limited to tying would be appropriate. Kimonos, even the most simply such as yukata are multilayer to be properly dress and obis also have many parts to them sometimes. There are several kinds of kimono and just as many kinds of obi with certain formalities or rules attached to them. Such as a Furisode is a kimono for only women who are unmarried until the age of 30. Also, a furisode with a fur collar means the girl is turning of age in Japan (21). There are kimono that can be worn by only married women, and some that can be worn by both married and unmarried women. Then there are obis you can only wear with certain kimono as well. The problem is that what most people don't know is you have to get a certification in Japan to be consider 'proper' to dress in kimono by yourself or you go to someone who is a professional dresser.
    Looking at the time budgeted to the panels of this years San Japan, I did not think it likely or a good idea to have a "Kimono" panel, as the topic is too broad for one hour to, maybe, two hours. The topics you listed alone would go over time constraints. I also thought having a broad topic like that would leave panel participates feeling a little empty because there would be more information left out, due to time constraints, than talked about. Expectations. "Kimono Tying" states exactly what will be talked about. The subject is broad enough to eat up over an hour and narrow enough to be very informative about one of the hardest parts of a Kimono. I thought also it would have time to demonstrate a few styles of tying an obi.

Coming out of a few of the informative panels of this year and talking to people whom I have sit with in these panels, there were a few major hits and misses. The biggest misses I've heard was that "it was not what I expected," followed by "lack of samples/demonstrations". The tea panel was a huge hit, not experiencing either of these. The big miss for the tea panel was running out of time. So the reasons for "Kimono Tying" as a panel title are: one, people know what to expect; and two, the subject can fit into a smaller time constraint.

And again, I am open to any and all constructive suggestions that supports any type of a Kimono themed panel for next year. All I am offering are suggestions and a little bit of pleading for there to be one next year.

I wouldn't ever put up a limiting Panel that would require you to have something to be in it. Panels should be more about teaching your passions and showing those interested in them.

If you email me <events@san-japan.org> we can sort out some kind of meet up, All it really takes to get a panel from me is the passion and knowledge plus a little organizational skills to put it together.