Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-Anime/Japanese Based Cosplays

Time Lord Notorious KittyAnne7152's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by happygoldfish View Post
    Just to add on to the origin of cosplay thing, here's something every cosplayer should read, especially if you think cosplay should only be of manga/anime. It's a story about the first costume-play at a Science Fiction convention in 1939:
    http://www.costuming.org/history.html

"Then in the mid-1990s, as anime, manga and all things related started to catch on in America, cosplay was reintroduced, this time on a much large scale. This has led to many North American cosplayers being totally unaware of their hobby's history, believing it was invented in Japan."

Picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83287853@N00/5064028720/
    It always makes me lol how few people know that.

SJ Mach V, tentative ideas.
    Idris, the TARDIS- Doctor Who | Pip Bernadotte- Hellsing Ultimate |The Tenth Doctor- Doctor Who

Hey...hey...hey...hey.... MayMayPerson's Avatar
    At SJ5 I shall attempt a Weeping Angel.
    San Japan Mach 5 Cosplays:
    Weeping Angel (Doctor Who) - 0%
    N (Pokemon Black/White) - 0%

True story, I saw a bunch of droogs at this year's San Japan. I was so pleased.

And as for "non-anime costuming" all I gotta say is "At least they're wearing clothes. Seriously."

Plan wise, I was REALLY wanting to dress like the Seventh Doctor, but that freaking vest... I can't crochet at all! D:
    Michael Hicks
    San Japan Support Director-"Being everywhere and nowhere since '09"

Super High School Level: Potato Yulcera's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Hicks View Post

And as for "non-anime costuming" all I gotta say is "At least they're wearing clothes. Seriously."

Plan wise, I was REALLY wanting to dress like the Seventh Doctor, but that freaking vest... I can't crochet at all! D:
    Droogs such as A Clockwork Orange droogs? Cause if so then that's pretty sweet.
    San Japan Sinister Six Cosplay:
    Thursday: John Egbert - Homestuck
    Friday: Kirigiri Kyouko - Dangan Ronpa and Fancy Dreamer!Jane - Homestuck
    Saturday: djinn!Kougyoko Ren - Magi
    Sunday: Aomine Daiki - Kuroko no Basket

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Hicks View Post

They do mass orderings of Seven's vest over at the dw_cosplay live journal community periodically. All depends on how much money you're willing to part with.

Quote Originally Posted by MayMayPerson View Post
    At SJ5 I shall attempt a Weeping Angel.
    You have made me eternally happy. And frightened.

Idris, the TARDIS- Doctor Who | Pip Bernadotte- Hellsing Ultimate |The Tenth Doctor- Doctor Who

Another argument is that "costumed play in public" in general can be seen as a Japanese subculture. No matter where the characters come from, if you're dressed up and out and about you're enjoying something that is part of the otaku experience. I'm sure plenty of Japanese cosplayers do non-Japanese characters, so we're not exactly breaking authenticity there.

Even if cosplay isn't originally Japanese, they've put their own stamp on it by taking it to a whole 'nother level (kind of like vending machines) so in my mind just about anything goes!

Actually, the culture of cosplay in Japan is very much underground and taboo. Apart from Shibuya ward on a Sunday (and even this is frowned upon by the older generation), if you are cosplaying, you are doing it in private. They have changing rooms a cons for this very reason, so that you don't have to wear your costume in public when travelling to a con.

Just sayin'.

Thus the "subculture" bit I suppose I should have worded things better; I didn't mean "out and about" and "in public" as in doing daily things, I meant doing it other than in your own home, like at cons, gatherings and such.

Well, even that was originally an American thing. Like Happygoldfish said, the first costumers at a con was at an American sci-fi con in 1939. And how long has the stereotype of Trekkies with Spock ears glued on going to Star Trek conventions been around? What the Japanese have done for cosplay is introduced anime and manga into it, and created a resurgence for it as a bit of a "cooler" hobby (because, let's face it, Trekkies, as devoted as they are to their costumes, do have a bit of a dork stigma about them. lol, and I say this as a future Star Trek cosplayer...).
    But none of this really matters. What matters is that it's all cosplay, and it's all equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yulcera View Post
    Droogs such as A Clockwork Orange droogs? Cause if so then that's pretty sweet.
    Yes! And there was four of them! It was awesome!

Speaking of sci-fi cosplays, I'd die to see some Red Dwarf cosplayers at an anime con sometime.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

Going to try and do a fan version of human!Mordecai from Regular Show. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Maybe I'll bring Romana from Doctor Who again. Or take a stab at Ace from the same programme.
    Well. Dang.

SJ6
    Mordecai (Regular Show)

Shogun Candidate #000 YoSoyJaponesa~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
    Going to try and do a fan version of human!Mordecai from Regular Show. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Please do. XD

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyJaponesa~ View Post
    Please do. XD
    Making the costume for Halloween so having it done on time won't be a big issue. It all depends on my Rigby and if she agrees to dress up as the spazzy raccoon for San Japan.

But I'll betcha she'll do it for the shenanigans. I plan on making THE POWER, too.
    Well. Dang.

SJ6
    Mordecai (Regular Show)

Shogun Candidate #000 YoSoyJaponesa~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
    But I'll betcha she'll do it for the shenanigans. I plan on making THE POWER, too.

YES~! (@w@)b

I will be cosplaying as a Slytherin student on Saturday. c:

I have a penpal who live in England, and I am trying to get him for here for SJ5. And being the Doctor Who nerds that we are, I'm trying to convince him that we go as Amy and Rory.

I am thinking of adding Fionna from Adventure Time to my list >.>
    Proud President of the JHS Anime Club/the AoiUri Brigade

Cosplays:
    Max ~ Maximum Ride ((Any advice on wings?))
    Maka Albarn ~ Soul Eater
    Maya Fey ~ Phoenix Wright
    Applejack ~ MLP: FIM or Marcaline the Vampire Queen ~ Adventure Time

Needs More Minions gothlibrarian's Avatar
    Anyone doing steampunk?

Actually debating on adding a second cosplay. It's a tie between Demona from Gargoyles and/or one of the Knights who say "Ni!" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    SAN JAPAN = L♥ve