Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Masquerade questions

@Zaya_Ayame: Do you have a picture of what you mean? Just from looking it up, I don't think her military outfit is formal, so no, you'd need a different outfit for the masquerade.

@Patches: This year, the con is going to make sure there are plenty of ways for everyone to obtain an appropriate mask. You're welcome to bring some if you want, though!

Quote Originally Posted by mindtailor View Post
    @Zaya_Ayame: Do you have a picture of what you mean? Just from looking it up, I don't think her military outfit is formal, so no, you'd need a different outfit for the masquerade.
    Gotcha - I'll bring a separate dress ^^

KitchenPrincess
    Hi I am new to the forums and San Japan. I wanna bring my boyfriend to the dance as a surprise but was wondering if either of these would be acceptable for me to wear.

http://www.whatabeautifullife.com/D0...set-p9256.html

http://www.lolitacostume.com/lolita-...c799f40cdfdda4

Oh and these shoes:

http://www.infectiousthreads.com/big...charade_28.htm

Sorry, I am completely lost on dressing formal ^^'

Well, I have two dresses at home that I think could be good for this... I just want to make sure though ^^ So, would either of these be good? Lolita Maid Dress.jpg

http://www.dillards.com/product/Blon..._301_503092166

Definitely go with the second one. It's really cute!

New Person
    Will it be okay to wear heel boots that aren't chunky? I plan on going as Gakupo from Sandplay Singing Of the Dragon and I've been troubling over if I can buy those boots or not for the masquerade.

I will be submitting a rules update soon, including information about wigs, Highland dress, and Indian formalwear. Please keep asking if you have any questions!

I'm all in favor of a Formal Masquerade Ball. I really love the idea!

But let's not forget that San Japan IS an ANIME convention, so you NEED to keep your target audience in mind.

I would like to suggest making the Masquerade a charity fund-raiser by allowing attendees to "Cheat for a Cause". I'm assuming that San Japan has a charity it supports.

Have a formal dress code (allowing for costumes of course), and send out those rules to the public as soon as you can. SPAM the boards with it, so no one can say "But I didn't know".

But then give people the option to make a small donation to “The Cause” so they can wear an item that's not Formal. (Either on purpose: we all know that Anime is all about being too cool to conform and bucking the system; and almost every mainstream anime has a character that would be willing to dress the part for a masquerade but would refuse to give up their ‘trademark’ item - such as their sneakers, their special belt buckle, or their cowboy hat]; or because the person accidently forgot their good shoes at home.)

In practically every Anime, at least one character is doing what they can to help others: a particular person, a city, the country, the world. A charity event would fit that bill quite nicely, letting everyone get involved in a small way - that incidentally would allow them to “rebel” against the rules for the Ball. We’re all here to have fun; this way, no one gets disappointed over being turned away because their shoes.

Please give it some serious consideration.
    Sincerely;

Chris and Jennifer Ruth - ‘Gypsies Welcome’

Can I wear a Full Prince Charlie with the Kilt?

Hello! So I planned on going to the masquerade this year and I was wondering if my costume would we suitable to go in. I haven't gotten it in the mail yet so here is the link:
    http://www.cosplaymagic.com/dathblyinco.html
    it seems good to me but I just wanted to make sure. For my mask, I was going to use a mask I will make to look like another character from my anime who is my partner (Darker than Black is the anime I'm going as Yin and I'm making Hei's mask it'll be adorable for people who've seen the anime).
    Anyway, I'll be making this mask except cutting the eyeholes and making a stick on the side to hold it. The stick will have purple ribbon winding down it.
    http://www.ezcosplay.com/media/ezcos...i%20Mask_4.jpg

Are both acceptable? My shoes will be black flats and I will also have on black pantie-hose.
    I just don't want to get there and then not be let in, you know?
    Thank you!
    Yin Kirsi

@Whitephoenix - Absolutely.

@Xenetsa - That sounds adorable. You should be just fine with that dress, mask, and flats.

mindtailor sent me an Addendum which have been added to the rules at the bottom of the page. Be sure to read them which clarifies some of the questions.

http://www.san-japan.org/events/masquerade-dance
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsies Welcome View Post
    I'm all in favor of a Formal Masquerade Ball. I really love the idea!

But let's not forget that San Japan IS an ANIME convention, so you NEED to keep your target audience in mind.

I would like to suggest making the Masquerade a charity fund-raiser by allowing attendees to "Cheat for a Cause". I'm assuming that San Japan has a charity it supports.

Have a formal dress code (allowing for costumes of course), and send out those rules to the public as soon as you can. SPAM the boards with it, so no one can say "But I didn't know".

But then give people the option to make a small donation to “The Cause” so they can wear an item that's not Formal. (Either on purpose: we all know that Anime is all about being too cool to conform and bucking the system; and almost every mainstream anime has a character that would be willing to dress the part for a masquerade but would refuse to give up their ‘trademark’ item - such as their sneakers, their special belt buckle, or their cowboy hat]; or because the person accidently forgot their good shoes at home.)

In practically every Anime, at least one character is doing what they can to help others: a particular person, a city, the country, the world. A charity event would fit that bill quite nicely, letting everyone get involved in a small way - that incidentally would allow them to “rebel” against the rules for the Ball. We’re all here to have fun; this way, no one gets disappointed over being turned away because their shoes.

Please give it some serious consideration.
    Sincerely;

Chris and Jennifer Ruth - ‘Gypsies Welcome’
    While this is a nifty idea, I think you are missing the point of a 'Formal masquerade' - if people do not want to follow the rules, they do not have to attend the event. The same reasoning goes for Cosplay Contest (must be so-and-so percent custom made by self/sponsor) and Swap Meet (no money trading), just to name a couple.

If you would like a Masquerade that is slightly less formal, then you are more than welcome to start planning for it. I don't mean to sound too harsh, but that is just how things go here - you want it done, then you'll probably end up doing it yourself if someone else hasn't already started it.

And while a lot of the attendees are on a budget, I truly believe that EVERYone should have some sort of formal wear at home that would be accepted in this event, or can procure as such without breaking their bank.

And no one should be turned away at the door because of their costume, as the line will be checked thoroughly beforehand, and there will be at least one LARGE sign, most likely more than one, reiterating the rules for everyone, so that everyone is clear on them, unlike in past years.

And yes, San Japan does have charities. If you would like to make a donation to said charity, I'm sure Proz would be more than willing to accept. But saying you have money to give as a donation, also suggests you have money to turn your outfit just a titch more formal - if you really want to attend this event, please follow the rules.

While everyone may not enjoy the rules, they are there for a reason. If you would like to wear a SEMI-formal outfit, with sneakers and such, you are more than welcome to attend the other dances at San Japan. While we do have more than double the space from last year for the Formal Masquerade, there is still the possibility that not everyone will even get inside before the bell tolls - another reason not to allow these 'rebels' you alluded to.
    San Japan Main Gopher and Karaoke Coordinator
    "If something happens, I get blamed."

Check out my Work! Come, buy things!
    --> SelectionsX <--

Quote Originally Posted by rawrritscat View Post
    Will it be okay to wear heel boots that aren't chunky? I plan on going as Gakupo from Sandplay Singing Of the Dragon and I've been troubling over if I can buy those boots or not for the masquerade.
    If they are dressy non-clunky boots, they should be fine. You can always take a picture and post it, to be extra sure.

--> SelectionsX <--

Quote Originally Posted by SamiTheBaker View Post
    Hi I am new to the forums and San Japan. I wanna bring my boyfriend to the dance as a surprise but was wondering if either of these would be acceptable for me to wear.

http://www.whatabeautifullife.com/D0...set-p9256.html

http://www.lolitacostume.com/lolita-...c799f40cdfdda4

Oh and these shoes:

http://www.infectiousthreads.com/big...charade_28.htm

Sorry, I am completely lost on dressing formal ^^'
    The shoes would probably not be acceptable, as they would fall in the 'clunky platform' category.

The second outfit looks a little too casual, and the first does too, especially with the open midriff.

If you're actually wanting to wear a Kimono to this event, it will have to be a full-formal Kimono, as seen on the rules page.

--> SelectionsX <--

Kuri, I appreciate that you're trying to answer questions but please let mindtailor answer them since she is the main organizer as she can make the ruling.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

I have a question with the updated rules. I will be doing a steampunk flare with my Prince charlie coat and do not plan on wearing a Sporran, kilt hose, flashes and plan on using western boots (I plan on ruffling a few feathers but I have a pair of Oxfords I if Western boots aren't allowed)

Fancy Highland dress may be worn. Kilts do not necessarily need to be traditional wool, but they should be tartan and of a more traditional cut...for more traditional styles, you are more than welcome to wear a jacket...please wear kilt hose, flashes, belt, and sporran with both..
    Last edited by Whitephoenix; 06-11-2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: added MEK quote for refrence

I will allow formal western boots. These need to be nice-looking, without dirt or scuffs.
    While it may be tempting to wear a pair of dark sneakers, recreational boots, or loafers, these are not formal shoes. Formal shoes have laces, except for cowboy boots, which are acceptable if kept polished.

Read more: Definition of Formal Business Attire | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5078855_de...#ixzz1y99tE7Is

I had a question about a certain character:
    Perona_Sabaody.jpg
    Perona is an elegant gothic lolita character but is her outfit formal enough? I know she wears red boots (don't worry, I'll use a nice pair of heel instead) but is there anything else that needs to be changed about her? (minus the prop because I'm not bring that either)

Cosplays for SJ6:
    -Marineford Hancock (45% done)
    -Strong World Luffy (0% done)
    -Strong world Luffy's gun (15% done)
    -Film Z Robin red outfit (0% done)

Fountain of Useless Information EvilPopKorn's Avatar
    I think that costume should be alright. It is within the guidelines
    |My Cosplay(s) for SJ 2015:|
    TBD

"Otaku are not driven by energy but by spirit." Genshiken 2