Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing With Stares As a Cosplayer

Dominating Since the 90's Elmrada's Avatar

Dealing With Stares As a Cosplayer

I'm sure all of you have had the feeling of being self-conscious or paranoid as you get out of the car to go to the convention. The first time I cosplayed it was as Ranma Saotome. I was walking down the street with bright red hair and a color-matching shirt. People all over the streets were giving me odd gawks as I walked past, but I decided to square my shoulders and look like I really dressed like this everyday.
    So, I want to hear your stories. How do you deal with the awful gawks and stares as you step out of the convention grounds?
    Cosplays I've Done:
    Female Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
    Zidane Tribal (Dissidia)
    Claire Redfield (Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles)
    Ellie (The Last of Us)

Doing hoodrat stuff
    all I say is dont care what people think of you be happy and move forward.

Well, yeah. I mean, I don't let it get to me. I enjoy doing it, it's fun, somewhat healthy, and overall a good social interaction. People just need to chill xD
    Cosplays I've Done:
    Female Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
    Zidane Tribal (Dissidia)
    Ellie (The Last of Us)

Doing hoodrat stuff
    very true but thats life nothing will ever be perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Elmrada View Post
    I'm sure all of you have had the feeling of being self-conscious or paranoid as you get out of the car to go to the convention. The first time I cosplayed it was as Ranma Saotome. I was walking down the street with bright red hair and a color-matching shirt. People all over the streets were giving me odd gawks as I walked past, but I decided to square my shoulders and look like I really dressed like this everyday.
    So, I want to hear your stories. How do you deal with the awful gawks and stares as you step out of the convention grounds?
    I know what you mean! I do feel self-conscious, but having my friend cosplaying with me makes it better. I just usually smile at their stares and maybe wave. It's funny sometimes to see how baffled they are haha!

SJ5 cosplay:
    Friday- Hirasawa(K-ON!)- 99%
    Saturday- Yuno Gasai(Future Diary)- 99%

Quote Originally Posted by luvu4never View Post
    I know what you mean! I do feel self-conscious, but having my friend cosplaying with me makes it better. I just usually smile at their stares and maybe wave. It's funny sometimes to see how baffled they are haha!
    I wave or say "Howdy!" just to be stero-typical. It always makes me wonder "What? Can't someone dress up every now and then?" Cracks me up. Having friends there is always awesome. Then you guys can be weird together ^_^
    Cosplays I've Done:
    Female Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
    Zidane Tribal (Dissidia)
    Ellie (The Last of Us)

Time Lord Notorious KittyAnne7152's Avatar
    I've actually stopped noticing. Sometimes my friends who aren't as used to it will giggle awkwardly and tug on my sleeve and say "did you see that, those people were totally staring at you!"
    To which I reply "Let them."
    Seriously. So desensitized to it.

SJ Mach V, tentative ideas.
    Idris, the TARDIS- Doctor Who | Pip Bernadotte- Hellsing Ultimate |The Tenth Doctor- Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by KittyAnne7152 View Post
    I reply "Let them."
    Very good point. I mean, you can't expect to be treated the same if your dressed up as a Demon Princess, but people could atleast not be so rude as to say rude comments and what not about you. Especially if you're in the same elevator as them >_>
    Cosplays I've Done:
    Female Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
    Zidane Tribal (Dissidia)
    Ellie (The Last of Us)

Time Lord Notorious KittyAnne7152's Avatar
    Yeah, but common courtesy is so increasingly rare these days, it doesn't really phase me much. I suppose I'm just jaded. Jaded with thick skin.

SJ Mach V, tentative ideas.
    Idris, the TARDIS- Doctor Who | Pip Bernadotte- Hellsing Ultimate |The Tenth Doctor- Doctor Who

CudaŽ
    I like to mess with people a little.

When I dress as Gin-San, I'm sorta in character. I will pick my nose or do something silly just to laugh at their reactions.

Nekki Basara, haha I just start playing guitar and people tend to lighten up.

In any case, fuggem. They don't know the fun they are missing out on!

I only really cosplay at conventions, organized private photoshoots, and certain events. When people end up gawking for a long while, I walk right up to them with a huge smile, shake their hand, and introduce myself. I then inform them why I am dressed like this and explain it's a active and positive hobby I enjoy with many others around the world.

You won't believe how many people who stare the whole time are accepting and thankful that someone informed them. (It's a very business like approach I suppose. Helps out with where I work with bridal dresses.)
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by RedeadDie View Post
    I only really cosplay at conventions, organized private photoshoots, and certain events. When people end up gawking for a long while, I walk right up to them with a huge smile, shake their hand, and introduce myself. I then inform them why I am dressed like this and explain it's a active and positive hobby I enjoy with many others around the world.

You won't believe how many people who stare the whole time are accepting and thankful that someone informed them. (It's a very business like approach I suppose. Helps out with where I work with bridal dresses.)
    That's a very good idea. I never thought about approaching someone. I only thought they'd back-pedal away from someone in a wig with foam-daggers. xD
    Cosplays I've Done:
    Female Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
    Zidane Tribal (Dissidia)
    Ellie (The Last of Us)

I love getting stared at when I'm in costume, it's the whole reason I do it XD I guess it also helps that I'm a theater kid and being in the spotlight isn't anything new to me. I get asked all the time if I'm auditioning for something or if I'm on break from a play or show whenever I go out to eat in costume. It's great.
    Cosplays for San Japan Sinister Six:
    Lilypad Princess Tiana- Princess and the Frog
    Twilight Sparkle/Rave Sparkle- My Little Pony
    Breeder- Pokemon

I love it too! I love it when people look at me weird, maybe its cause I like all the attention. haha But I think its fun, I don't care what they think, I've gotten some pretty weird looks and stuff before, but its all good. I'm having fun doing what I love and I won't let them change that ^.^
    One lady had her kids take pictures with me once...
    "If you think of me as a women, I am a raging demon.
    If you think of me as a man, I am a female angel."

-Awashima

I don't really mind the staring, but the intense staring creeps me out. I usually just smile and wave or go and talk to the person. It surprises alot of people that I can crossplay
    crazy things have happened and were still here....
    SJ 7:Cana (Fairytail)= 100%
    Daphne (scooby-doo)= 100%
    Penny(Big Bang Theory)=100%
    Arrietty(Secret Life of Arrietty)=85%
    Katara (Avatar the Last Airbender)= 100%

I actually heard a grown man mention " WoW these people are freaks!" to his wife.. i then proceeded to turn my head slowly and give him the biggest creepiest smile i could... stayed that way for 3 floors. AH... good times.
    "A bowtie and speedo counts as a two piece" - Patches

haha thats hillarious! I think it would be fun to mess with people like that
    "If you think of me as a women, I am a raging demon.
    If you think of me as a man, I am a female angel."

-Awashima

Needs More Minions gothlibrarian's Avatar
    The best experience I had was when I took the bus to San Japan the first or second year. I was standing at the bus stop with pink hair, a pink maid outfit, black cat ears and tail. The bus driver pulled up stared at me for a minute and then finally opened the door. I think he thought he might be having a hallucination or something. It was awesome.

Why dress up if you don't want to be stared at!? That's part of the fun. Sometimes I forget I'm dressed up until I notice people really looking at me especially when I dress like a pirate because I've done that so often, forgotten and gone to HEB or something. Then I'm like "why are people staring at me......oh yeah I'm a pirate."
    Cosplays for SJ 8
    Don't know yet. :/
    I really want to do the Folktales panel again because it was well attended and I plan on making it even better!
    I'm a 14 year old girl trapped in the body of a forty-something year old librarian.

It doesn't bother me, but it generally helps that I am with my friends. Most of the time, by the end of the day, I forget that i'm in cosplay.

I wonder how long it takes for some people to realize, it's a Costume! And in some cases a darn good one. I can understand a few stares because a cosplay is good or something different, but when it is an "I can't figure this out/ does not compute" stare that goes on for too long. Then the person is just clueless.