Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weapon and prop policy changes! Your input is needed here!

Banned

Weapon and prop policy changes! Your input is needed here!

I am currently in the process of revamping and changing ALL of the conventions cosplay, costume, weapons policies, and rules. We are in a new location that affords us a better level of privacy. This also is a larger venue and allows me make these needed changes for you the attendee.

What I will consider as we go along is:

1. Live steel (no edge of course.) Since Steam Punk is becoming more common.

2. Airsoft and more elaborate gun props. (They have to be checked of course).

3. And YES folks thanks to friends of mine that cosplay in little to no clothing helping me to see that it can be done tastefully and with the conventions best interest at heart we may go to shirtless cosplay costumes and lighter clothing allowed.

4. I might look into peace bonding. (This is the iffy one.) I need to do more research on this since we have BOTH the hotel AND the Center. It might have to be only in the center and not in the Hotel.

What I need from you is input. Reasons to allow this. AND most of all the support from the costumers and cosplay community to help me make this decision and convince my staff and directors you can help me keep this safe. That is the most important thing here. It has to stay safe.

SO start dropping inputs and thoughts. All will be considered./DOC

For the live steel and gun props, to make it obvious to all that they've been checked, it might be wise to wrap a section of bright, neon-colored duct tape on them.

Gun props are relatively easy enough to clear. Just have to make sure they have no ammo.

Live steel, while I would love as that would open up a lot of options for me, makes me a little nervous. It would have to be spelled out pretty clearly that any kind of horseplay or dueling with them would be grounds for immediate expulsion from the Con.

I think, on the whole, the con is mature enough for these sorts of things to be open and work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Areleh View Post
    For the live steel and gun props, to make it obvious to all that they've been checked, it might be wise to wrap a section of bright, neon-colored duct tape on them.

Gun props are relatively easy enough to clear. Just have to make sure they have no ammo.

Live steel, while I would love as that would open up a lot of options for me, makes me a little nervous. It would have to be spelled out pretty clearly that any kind of horseplay or dueling with them would be grounds for immediate expulsion from the Con.

I think, on the whole, the con is mature enough for these sorts of things to be open and work.
    I do agree with you. The con and my fellow cosplayers have worked towards this. I do mark the props as ALL props have to be checked to be carried in the show. One thing is the guns will HAVE to be certified disabled completely. I also agree that if anyone misbehaves then they lose the right. If ALOT of people do it then we have to go back to tight rules. It would take you all policing each other as well. Great post Areleh!/DOC

Dominating Since the 90's Elmrada's Avatar
    Guns, no biggie. As long as there is no ammo and are marked accordingly.
    Live steel... that might put me on the edge a little. Not that I'm assuming anybody would come to San Japan with the full intent of harming other's lives, we just gotta think hey... that's a real weapon. With guns it can easily be discharged to just a prop, but a sword... oh boy, a sword can be used at any time to be a weapon. That's just my opinion, though.
    Cosplays I've Done:
    Female Ranma (Ranma 1/2)
    Zidane Tribal (Dissidia)
    Claire Redfield (Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles)
    Ellie (The Last of Us)

Needs To Do This: Settings | Edit Profile | Custom User Title
    I'm fol metal for props, but don't really like the idea of swords. I think for the show and photo shoots it would be ok, but I am not too sure with the floor and common areas.

I'm totally for a shirtless cosplay as long as it is done tastefully. I'm sure you could allow it and if anyone was out of line with something over the top, be handled there or something.

Most the other stuff has been ok, the gun rule seems to have worked in the past. I've never had to check in anything other than a wooden sword, so I suppose that's all the feedback I can say, but I haven't heard many complaints.

Ideally, if everyone were cooperative, I'm sure there would be less strict rules, but essentially, somebody always has to ignore or try to skirt around a few. I know SJ has had a pretty well behaved crowd, minus a few here and there. The fact the rules are under consideration shows how well most cosplayers have cooperated and behaved in the past.

One thought re: guns (airsoft and the like), be EXCEPTIONALLY careful when going BETWEEN convention locations (SJ5 will be in two separate buildings, ne?) as no matter what con safety thinks, you want to be careful what SJPD sees out on the street.

Banned
    I hire SAPD officers as my uniformed police for every show and this year they will be advising and helping me in this area. Also great point on this, I might do signs for warnings and such. One thing most people did not pay attention to over the years is I gave the cosplay Directors free reign on props for their event as long as people kept it in the show and did not bring it to the floor. I must say it was followed very closely and they (The Directors) made sure form what I understand. SO since this group tested it well and others have been so polite over the years I knew it was time.

Shirtless cosplays has always been an issue with me too since I know its for a costume and I hated enforcing that one. It is actually a city and health code ord you know the same old..no shirt no shoes no service? Well since the new location in the center is a private location THEN we have a chance to make changes. BUT once you leave the center its also Hotel policy we must look at and I have made some checks and we can ease it there too. It is really a non issue as long as people dont make fools of themselves in the public lobbies and people make sure they are in a costume of some sort. Remember NO costume is NO costume folks and if many try the rule stays.

Swords are iffy,BUT I can see the value on a costume. I have to maintain that NO EDGE is a must and will not be ignored. Great points folks please keep em coming!

His Little White Kitten DezzyDiamond's Avatar
    San Japan handles saftey extremely well so I think as long as its done properly, all of these changes will work well
    I will be selling at Mizuumi-con and Guesting

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DezzyDiamond View Post
    San Japan handles saftey extremely well so I think as long as its done properly, all of these changes will work well
    That we do./doc

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    Aka, don't be stupid, have a shirt on you at all times. XD
    Though, it is supposed to be all all ages, isn't it? Gotta be careful with these minors running around these cons in their barely-theres. I don't get why kids do that...

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Banned
    Well they can actually on go without a shirt if they are in a costume. Otherwise it does not count./DOC

Commander of the Rabbit Army happygoldfish's Avatar
    I am really excited to hear about these new changes!
    I think having the live steel is actually a great step forward, especially since San Japan has proven many times over that safety is foremost. And honestly, anything can be a weapon if you're not careful, and everyone seems very mature and careful at this con with regards to safety. I'm really excited to have this opportunity.

I like that we can now carry properly modified airsoft guns, this is going to make alot of people I know very happy.

I don't really care for the whole shirtless thing, but ehh, I know those who will really like this option.

As for peace bonging, I like the idea and think we should try it out at some point. I have been to a few cons where it was done and it seemed to work out just fine. Not sure about how much trouble it would be though with this crowd. Maybe we should wait and see how allowing the live steel goes? Don't really know on this one...
    Cosplays in the works:
    That one guy from that show and the character from that movie that came out a few years ago.

One-trick Pony Cosplayer IsaxxSaix's Avatar
    I like a lot of them, but we definitely have to be careful about the shirtless and live steel rules. Other than that, I think it's swell

Dezzy's rabid badger ezio auditore da firenze's Avatar
    well last year I did an assassins creed 2 cosplay( ezio auditore da firenze) and even though metal was mostly a no-no i still really enjoyed wearing the costume. This year I plan to go as ezio from assassins creed revelations, and he wears at least 15 different metal pieces and blades ( daggers, wristblades, sword etc...) so the live steel thing is pretty important to me. I do understand some peoples hesitation at the idea of people running around with metal pointy things, but I think that we can find some kind of happy medium. For example for people such as me that metal is an important part of the costume for perhaps it could be done so that those said people will meet with sven say a month or two before the con to one. outline all rules and standards for carrying metal two. inform them of the penalties of misuse or abuse of said metal props/pieces 3. have said person demonstrate how the metal prop/piece would be carried/secured to their person as to keep them safely away unless on stage or in photo-shoot and add from there. I dunno, just throwing ideas out there...
    -When I said "deadly neurotoxin," the "deadly" was in massive sarcasm quotes. I could take a bath in this stuff. Put it on cereal, rub it right into my eyes... honestly, it's not deadly at all... to *me*. You, on the other hand, are going to find its deadliness... a lot less funny. - GlaDOS, Portal

ezio auditore da firenze x dezzy diamond= dezzio??

I would like to add that in the cosplay show, we will accept weapons that were not necessarily cleared by Security to carry on the con floor specifically for the stage, but any abuse of this policy and we'll go back to only allowing weapons that have been cleared. There is still NO projectile firing of any kind allowed on stage. We expelled an entry a couple years ago for firing a cap gun on stage and I won't hesitate to pull someone else's badge for the same thing.

We have had no issues since that incident a couple years ago and I trust all of our members, so I don't think it will be a problem.
    Cosplay Coordinator

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Farasha View Post
    I would like to add that in the cosplay show, we will accept weapons that were not necessarily cleared by Security to carry on the con floor specifically for the stage, but any abuse of this policy and we'll go back to only allowing weapons that have been cleared. There is still NO projectile firing of any kind allowed on stage. We expelled an entry a couple years ago for firing a cap gun on stage and I won't hesitate to pull someone else's badge for the same thing.

We have had no issues since that incident a couple years ago and I trust all of our members, so I don't think it will be a problem.
    You know it was due to a very large part how the cosplayers and the staff over it handled things over the years and how they followed the rules that I started looking into this. SO that being said I agree with her and will support all she said. ALSO no projectile anything folks anywhere. Prop guns still cannot fire anything./DOC

Banned
    Great points. I see once you check you props once you will be good for the weekend tho. No sense in just having a muster for props. Great idea tho and I cant wait to see your costume completed!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ezio auditore da firenze View Post
    well last year I did an assassins creed 2 cosplay( ezio auditore da firenze) and even though metal was mostly a no-no i still really enjoyed wearing the costume. This year I plan to go as ezio from assassins creed revelations, and he wears at least 15 different metal pieces and blades ( daggers, wristblades, sword etc...) so the live steel thing is pretty important to me. I do understand some peoples hesitation at the idea of people running around with metal pointy things, but I think that we can find some kind of happy medium. For example for people such as me that metal is an important part of the costume for perhaps it could be done so that those said people will meet with sven say a month or two before the con to one. outline all rules and standards for carrying metal two. inform them of the penalties of misuse or abuse of said metal props/pieces 3. have said person demonstrate how the metal prop/piece would be carried/secured to their person as to keep them safely away unless on stage or in photo-shoot and add from there. I dunno, just throwing ideas out there...
    Great points. I see once you check you props once you will be good for the weekend tho. No sense in just having a muster for props. Great idea tho and I cant wait to see your costume completed!

The Sweet Apple Acre Princess Puritysan's Avatar
    I mean "on you" and "in your possesion". JIC.

Eyyyyyyy Sexy Cosplay~
    Tumblr Fandom Style~
    O-O-O-O-T-P~

Banned
    I understand. You cannot go without a shirt UNLESS you are in a costume or it can be verified as a costume. Gotta stay close to the law./DOC