Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosplay Show Rules for 2012

Cosplay Show Rules for 2012

Class System

San Japan uses a Three Class competition system for Craftsmanship, Performance, and Walk-On judging. This is to ensure fairness in competition. It is HIGHLY important that all potential entries read and understand the layout of this system. If you have any questions at all, we strongly encourage you to ask away.

Youth: Specifically for entries 13 and younger, this is a low pressure division for younger cosplayers entering into the contest. All participants will receive a participation award as a result of helping support the hobby in some way. We encourage parents to enter their young children in this division.

Novice: This is the class for first time costumers or people who have been costuming for less than a year with no major awards (Judge’s Awards are not counted). They will have their own award category for all three major judgments. If you have been costuming for over a year and are not perfectly confident in your skill, please discuss this with us so we might negotiate your placement in this category.

Journeyman: This is the class for all cosplayers whom have been cosplaying for some time or have won awards, major or other sort of award. They will have their own award category in all three major judgments. There may be some who do not fulfill the normal requirements of Journeyman placed in this category if the directors and judges feel you should be competing at this level given situations where a first time costumer is able to produce a higher level craft (it has happened, we promise).

Master: This is the class for all cosplayers whom have been cosplaying for a long time or have won several major awards, such as Best in Show or multiple Best in Class or Best Performance awards. They will have their own award category in all three major judgments. Entries will not be bumped from Journeyman to Master and it is purely opt-in only. If you are confident you meet the standards of this division, please enter at this level. All professionals (as in you costume for a living) need to enter at this level for the sake of fairness.

Note about Divisions: Any Novice entry, be it a walk-on or a skit, can be bumped up to Journeyman division by the judges discretion in order to ensure fairness.

Basic Rules for the Stage

As a note, all Skit entries will be pre-screened before being allowed on stage. Signing up for the show does not guarantee you a place in the show. Pre-screening means we will be going through skits for content that do not follow our rules or for things that might go over time. We require a script from all skit entries, recorded or not, to be turned in at the time of entry. If your skit has audio, please turn the CD in with your entry form and script. If you do not have your script ready, do not sign up until it is.

1. Content: We expect all stage entries, both walk-ons and skits, to ensure their entry maintains a TV-PG rating (not how PG is defined for film, but for television). To quote Wikipedia:

TV-PG (Unsuitable for young children)

This rating signifies that the program may be unsuitable for younger children without the guidance of a parent. Many parents may want to watch it with their younger children. Various game shows and most reality shows are rated TV-PG for their suggestive dialog, suggestive humor, and/or coarse language. Some prime-time sitcoms such as Everybody Loves Raymond, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Simpsons, Futurama (on FOX and adult swim airings), and Seinfeld usually air with a TV-PG rating. Recently, Cartoon Network has been using the PG rating to rate shows that may contain suggestive dialogue, crude humor, or scary elements, such as Total Drama Island, 6teen, Gundam Wing and reruns of Goosebumps (on FOX, Goosebumps was rated TV-Y7 for scary/disturbing content). Also, on Nickelodeon, Invader Zim is also rated TV-PG when uncut.. Also some unamericanized anime sometimes receives this rating such as Princess Tutu, One Piece (the FUNimation version, though some episodes are rated TV-Y7-FV), Naruto and Kodocha. Some feature films originally rated PG-13 are edited for network or basic cable and are rated TV-PG. Despite edits, all episodes of the show Naruto are given a TV-PG rating.

Basically, if it can’t air on Cartoon Network daytime, then it won’t fly on our stage. This rule applies to all entries.

2. Time: Skits are allowed exactly three (3) minutes. (This is a HARD Limit. We will not accept any entries with audio beyond 3 minutes/180 Seconds. NO exceptions.) You are not allowed any more, and are encouraged to take less. We strongly suggest your skit use pre-recorded audio to ensure the smooth running of the show. Skits that go over time will be disqualified and removed from the stage. Participants of the Cosplay Show Walk-Ons will be 30 Seconds. This time limit will be extended for large/bulky/otherwise difficult to manuever costumes only. All other walk-ons who are on stage beyond 60 seconds will be disqualified; this is the maximum time any walk-on will be allowed. Music for walk-ons, if submitted to us, is encouraged to be longer than 30 seconds (at least a minute) to allow for smooth cues.
    Addendum: If you are disabled in any way that would make it difficult to make these time limits or need extra time getting on or off stage, please let us know and we can accommodate you.

3. Stunts: Any choreographed fighting or stunts must be done at 3/4s speed and jumping/tumbling, while not against the rules, is discouraged. You will not be counted against for jumping/tumbling, but for your safety we’d rather you did not. Please discuss it with the directors if you plan to do any of this.

4. Karaoke: There will be karaoke related events at the convention at other times, including Ani-Idol. Therefore, we see no reason for these types of performances during the cosplay show and are thus not allowed. If you desire to sing on stage, please do so at an event other than the Cosplay Show. We suggest signing up for Ani-Idol.

4a. We are limiting skits/performances containing dances that are memetic in nature, such as dances from Vocaloid videos or IdolMaster. If you’re going to be doing a choreographed dance from something like these, please run it by us first when you turn in your music/script/blocking. This does not apply to those who choreograph their own dancing. All original dance skits must be in cosplay. Dance outfits will not count as cosplay.

5. Cleanliness: Anything that goes on stage with you leave with you. Do not bring any sort of particle/fluid/other projectile on stage with you. It is not our responsibility to clean up after your performance.

6. Bulky Costumes: Please inform us ahead of time if your costume is difficult to move around in so we can make proper accommodations. We are willing to do almost anything in order to allow an amazing costume on stage so please talk to us!

7. Group size limits: We are limiting the amount of people on stage to Eight (8). You may have more than that in your group, but not on stage at a single time.

8. You must show up ON TIME for Saturday afternoon required pre-rehearsal to be listed on the convention schedule with the time of when you need to arrive at the designated panel room for check-in, pre-judgment & walk-through. We recommend you arrive early. If you arrive LATE, you WILL be disqualified from the show. Do not arrive 30 minutes before the cosplay show is about to start to check-in else you will already have been disqualified.

8a. If you have signed up for the Cosplay Show via San Japan’s website, you absolutely MUST check in at the sign up table on Friday or Saturday so that we can confirm your entry. If you do not do this, your entry will be void and you will be removed from the show. Please do not show up at rehearsal if you have not done this, as you will not be allowed in the show.

9. Sandbagging: Sandbagging is, in the simplest terms, taking a costume that has already won a major award at a larger or more prestigious contest, or has won several major awards all together, and entering it into this contest and expecting the same results. It can also mean entering a high-skill level costume at the Novice level. Neither are allowed at San Japan’s cosplay contest. The costume will be discreetly disqualified if the person(s) walks on the stage. If it is found that a cosplayer had gotten away with ‘sandbagging’ after the duration of the contest/convention then the award given will be revoked and nullified in the posted award winners.

Craftsmanship

1. The Gear Project endorses a “75% rule” on craftsmanship. This rule means that at least 75% of your costume must be made or modified personally. Note that this rule does not have to apply to shoes and wigs.

2. Modification: The 75% rule for costumes that are modified from store-bought pieces means that at least 75% of the work put into this costume was alterations, accessories, props or details. For example, buying a T-shirt, jeans and a jacket does not count as 75% craftsmanship. Altering the jacket to fit, painting details on the jeans and sewing trim or patches on the T-shirt does count as 75% craftsmanship.

3. If your costume was commissioned (bought or ordered from another person who did more than 75% of the work on the costume), and the maker is present at the contest, you may compete but note that the prize (if one is won) will go to the maker of the costume, not the model. If the maker is not present at the contest, you may not enter the contest.

4. For group entries, at least half of your group must comply with these rules. For example, if you have three people in your group and two of them bought their costumes, you are not eligible to enter the contest. If you have three people in your group and only one of them bought their costume, you are eligible.

5. The craftsmanship rule may be waived for skits, which will then be judged solely on performance and not on construction. Note that this is an option for skits, not mandatory. We strongly encourage skits to opt in for crafstmanship judging if applicable. Skits must be in a recognizable costume, whether they made it or not.

6. If an entry is believed to be dishonest with how they are presenting their craftsmanship, they will be disqualified and removed from the show. Our judges will be able to recognize purchased costumes. Please do not waste your time and ours, taking away slots from people who followed the rules.

Craftsmanship Pre-judging for any entry that has already signed up for the show can be done throughout the day at the Cosplay Pre-Judging area, adjacent to the sign up area in the same room. We strongly encourage everyone to take advantage of this, but if you cannot or do not wish to, there will still be pre-judging during Rehearsal.

Awards for Stage

There will be several awards presented at the San Japan Cosplay Show. The following are brief descriptions of each:

Judge’s Award: These are the personal awards of each judge that they may present to whomever they wish. Class does not mean anything here and the qualifications of the award are dependent entirely on the judge presenting it. There will be 5, one for each Judge.

Best Youth: This will be awarded to the overall best entry in the Youth Division (13 and under). It will be a general award based on both presentation and craftsmanship, and will be awarded to the child and anyone that helped them make the costume (if applicable)

Best Performance (Walk-On): There will be an award for all three classes for this category. This will be based entirely on an entry’s ability to command the stage and entertain the audience with both posing and stage presence.

Best Performance (Skit): There will be an award for all three classes for this category. This will be based on the quality and execution of a skit entry, given their ability to execute their performance as well as entertain the audience and keep people excited about their entry. This applies to all skits, be they dance numbers, dramatic scenes, or comedic sketches.

Best Craftsmanship: There will be an award for all three classes for this category. This award is based purely on the skill of your craft and performance is not factored in at all. Excellence in costuming as well as prop/accessory construction will be looked at here.

Best in Class: Basically, there will be three Runner Up awards for Best In Show based on Class, and these are it. See below for Best in Show

Best in Show: This is a category that all three classes will compete for. This will be awarded to the entry that shows the best examples of both craftsmanship and performance together. This is considered the top award in the show.

Note about Awards: Novice entries bumped up to Journeyman during competition will be eligible for Journeyman level awards. If there are no Master level cosplayers in any given award division, an award will not be given for that class.
    Last edited by thegearproject; 05-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.

My profession is alterations rather than costume craft. I assume it's consider the same level of profession as those who work in costume and I should enter the Master Division if I choose to enter? I figure it'd be safe to ask beforehand.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by RedeadDie View Post
    My profession is alterations rather than costume craft. I assume it's consider the same level of profession as those who work in costume and I should enter the Master Division if I choose to enter? I figure it'd be safe to ask beforehand.
    What do you mean by alterations? If you mean like working with a professional tailor or the like, then yes, that counts as professional as far as we're concerned. If you feel comfortable, or fair, competing at a master level, then that's probably where you should go, but we used the word "costuming" for a reason. Alterations seems like a bit of a jump from that, without more detail.

I apologize, I should've been a bit more specific. I work in a bridal store and make bustles, let in and out seams, just the typical alterations you'd expect from a bridal shop. From what you're saying though, it sounds like it'd be more fair if I entered in the Master Division.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by RedeadDie View Post
    I apologize, I should've been a bit more specific. I work in a bridal store and make bustles, let in and out seams, just the typical alterations you'd expect from a bridal shop. From what you're saying though, it sounds like it'd be more fair if I entered in the Master Division.
    Sounds fair enough to us. Go ahead, yo.

Night Vale Community Radio Intern Wheels's Avatar
    Forgive me if I have this in the wrong place, but I couldn't find out where else to put this. Is there a way that we can make sure the cosplay contest stage is accessible for people with a physical disability to walk across? Last year's contest was amazing, but I was troubled to see that a girl doing a Bug Catcher cosplay had to go in front of the stage because of her wheelchair use. Sure, the cameraman was there to record her crossing for the big screen in the background, but half the fun of doing the cosplay contest is being able to cross that stage and show off for the masses.

As another cosplayer who uses a wheelchair, knowing that the stage is accessible enough to allow me the same sort of opportunity to have that moment in the lights afforded to my fellow able-bodied cosplayers would make me more comfortable with throwing my hat in the ring. It might also draw in others who might have otherwise been put off or hesitant in the past.

Also-also: The added benefit of having a ramp of some kind means that able-bodied cosplayers in floor-length costumes could have a minimized risk of tripping/falling/ripping their outfits. I remember being able to see those coming up the stairs last year in their Ciel Phantomhive and other floor-length costumes and just being worried for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Forgive me if I have this in the wrong place, but I couldn't find out where else to put this. Is there a way that we can make sure the cosplay contest stage is accessible for people with a physical disability to walk across? Last year's contest was amazing, but I was troubled to see that a girl doing a Bug Catcher cosplay had to go in front of the stage because of her wheelchair use. Sure, the cameraman was there to record her crossing for the big screen in the background, but half the fun of doing the cosplay contest is being able to cross that stage and show off for the masses.

As another cosplayer who uses a wheelchair, knowing that the stage is accessible enough to allow me the same sort of opportunity to have that moment in the lights afforded to my fellow able-bodied cosplayers would make me more comfortable with throwing my hat in the ring. It might also draw in others who might have otherwise been put off or hesitant in the past.

Also-also: The added benefit of having a ramp of some kind means that able-bodied cosplayers in floor-length costumes could have a minimized risk of tripping/falling/ripping their outfits. I remember being able to see those coming up the stairs last year in their Ciel Phantomhive and other floor-length costumes and just being worried for them.
    This is definitely something that was a problem last year. There was a lot of miscommunication between SJ and the hotel about the existence of a ramp. This year we are definitely making sure there is one.

Quote Originally Posted by thegearproject View Post
    This is definitely something that was a problem last year. There was a lot of miscommunication between SJ and the hotel about the existence of a ramp. This year we are definitely making sure there is one.
    This is really good news to see/hear!

We have asked our contact at the Hyatt and they said a ramp can be made available by request. I will ensure that at least 2 are put in place when I make the layouts.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    We have asked our contact at the Hyatt and they said a ramp can be made available by request. I will ensure that at least 2 are put in place when I make the layouts.
    That's excellent news! The SJ staff has always been very good in the past about making sure the weekend is fun and accessible for everybody, and you guys are always very good about addressing situations as they come, which is why my brother and I keep coming back. Thanks again, guys!

I have a curious question (Definitely not meaning to sound ignorant) but I have purchased all of my costume and I wish to compete in the contest just show off (My little ego :P). I don't want to be considered for a prize or anything like that, just walk on the stage, do the 3 poses, and walk off ^^

Would I still have to be held to the 75% rule or is there a way I can just flaunt my stuff for fun? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zaya_Ayame View Post
    I have a curious question (Definitely not meaning to sound ignorant) but I have purchased all of my costume and I wish to compete in the contest just show off (My little ego :P). I don't want to be considered for a prize or anything like that, just walk on the stage, do the 3 poses, and walk off ^^

Would I still have to be held to the 75% rule or is there a way I can just flaunt my stuff for fun? :P
    We do not allow bought costumes on stage. We have a limited amount of time and we want to make sure that all the slots go to competitive entries, as that's the most fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaya_Ayame View Post

We will be having a Fashion Show in the program with the intent for costumes like that to allow people to show off.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

We do not allow bought costumes on stage. We have a limited amount of time and we want to make sure that all the slots go to competitive entries, as that's the most fair.
    Absolutely understandable! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    We will be having a Fashion Show in the program with the intent for costumes like that to allow people to show off.
    Count me in! <3

Update Note:

Sign Up an the all day Prejudging table will be in the same room. There's plenty of space for both, so no need to worry. If anything, this will make things easier for you all.

I was just wondering, I'm making a cosplay for the first time ever myself this year (this will be the one I enter into the contest), but I've cosplayed for around 1 year and a few months now (with bought cosplays). What class would I need to sign up as since I'm not NEW to cosplaying, but the one I'm entering is going to be the first I've ever MADE.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_kitsune69 View Post
    I was just wondering, I'm making a cosplay for the first time ever myself this year (this will be the one I enter into the contest), but I've cosplayed for around 1 year and a few months now (with bought cosplays). What class would I need to sign up as since I'm not NEW to cosplaying, but the one I'm entering is going to be the first I've ever MADE.
    Novice.

Hi there,

My friend is making the prop for Lady form Devil May Cry 4. It's being made out of 3" PVC, Wood, styrofoam and craftfoam. We wondering if this weapon would be permitted within the hallways of the convention, and if not allowed in the hallways, would she at least be able to bring it out to show her craftsmanship of the weapon and her cosplay in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_kitsune69 View Post
    Hi there,

My friend is making the prop for Lady form Devil May Cry 4. It's being made out of 3" PVC, Wood, styrofoam and craftfoam. We wondering if this weapon would be permitted within the hallways of the convention, and if not allowed in the hallways, would she at least be able to bring it out to show her craftsmanship of the weapon and her cosplay in the competition.
    Well we can't tell you if it'd be allowed in the hallways or not, as that's Safety's call and not ours, however we have an agreement with Safety that we can allow certain props on stage that may not clear the hallway regulation so long as they only remain on stage. Still, you'll want to run it by Safety first.

I didn't see this anywhere (forgive me if I'm blind) but could a person enter both the walk on contest and video game contest with either the same or different costumes?