Thread: Art Contest

Art Contest

Has anyone tried to submit an entry yet? The form has gotten a lot of views but not an entry has come in yet. Usually about this time we'll see a couple entries trickling in. One rule has been changed that sketching is allowed on paper as long as inking is done in Photoshop or other graphic programs that allow layers.

Just want to make sure it isn't the script.

http://www.san-japan.org/contests/artcontest
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Inking

I'm curious why traditional inking is not allowed. Is it not clean enough? Or is it because of some printer requirements?

Also I'm wondering what size is the program book printed? 1024x768 pixels matches the aspect ratio of 8.5 by 11 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Electra Stanley View Post
    I'm curious why traditional inking is not allowed. Is it not clean enough? Or is it because of some printer requirements?

Also I'm wondering what size is the program book printed? 1024x768 pixels matches the aspect ratio of 8.5 by 11 right?
    Traditional inking isn't allowed because they're flat images that we can't edit well at all when trying to ensure they're usable with the printer or match our specifications.

We get over a dozen entries a year for the past 3 years like this:

Alyssa De La Cerda Entry 1.jpg

We can't do much with it and it doesn't look professional when printed so we've disallowed traditional entries.

Now, the rules have been modified after some questions from some artists on that rule that we do allow traditional tracing to start on paper then you can scan it in then you can ink it in Photoshop and illustrator. We just need a way to edit the layers so we can resize & move objects when we make the badges & program book.

The program book is 8.5 by 11. If we have a 1024x768, we can work with it, but we much prefer bigger when ever possible. There is no limit on size but we have to put in a minimum again due to prior entries that we've received.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Ah, I see. It's about being able to edit the layers.

You know, there's an easy way artists manipulate their traditional inkwork so it's just as managable as (non-vector) digital inkwork.

They traditionally ink the different elements of their picture on separate pieces of paper, scan them into separate Photoshop layers, and then use a PS command to delete the white information making the layers transparent.

Do you only require editable layers (and, of course, high quality artwork), or is there another reason why artists are restricted to a tablet instead of a crow quill?

Quote Originally Posted by Electra Stanley View Post
    Do you only require editable layers (and, of course, high quality artwork), or is there another reason why artists are restricted to a tablet instead of a crow quill?
    No, there's no other reason except to give us the ability to edit it in photoshop and dissuade people from submitting a scanned pen & ink image.

With the 50+ entries that we got in previous years, we feel people should try to give us high-quality artwork.

We still haven't gotten any entries at this point but we usually get most of our entries after we close Artist Alley as many artists try for the two free tables.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Okay I get it now, thanks