Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hicks Wants A Fight! (Saturday February 18, 3:30 pm)

Angry Hicks Wants A Fight! (Saturday February 18, 3:30 pm)

Boys and girls, this winter nonsense is getting to me. I am tired of being stuck in my house slaying dragons and shouting ears off cliffs. I want to see some ACTION. I want to se:e people get hit! I want to do anything but stay at my house! So presenting:

Hicks Wants A Fight!
    February 18, 2012 3:30 pm
    UTHSC Track near Spectrum Health (7431 Merton Minter)

Yes! I am talking good old fashioned boffee fighting just like our nerd ancestors used to do it! You don't even need to bring your own equipment we made some ourselves for you to use! So come on out and release the wild beast inside of kyou!
    Michael Hicks
    San Japan Support Director-"Being everywhere and nowhere since '09"

Rules

1. Fight like a champion, keep it in the ring.

2. No kicking, punching, biting, or grabbing. Boffers only!

3. If you are hit in the following areas you are "dead": torso, back, buttocks.

4. If you are hit on any extremity it will be considered a "maim", you are no longer allowed to use that extremity. If you are maimed twice you are dead!

5. Under no exceptions are hits to the groin or head allowed. You will be disqualified for doing so.

6. If both feet leave the ring you are "out". The fight will be prepositioned and started again. If you are outgrew three times you are disqualified.

7. You must sign in to fight. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Michael Hicks

FAQ

Is Hicks my only option for fighting?
    No! The event is called "Hicks Wants A Fight" not "Hicks Wants TO Fight". He would be just as happy watching fights as he would be actually fighting. However Hicks will openly accept all challenges. Feel free to bring friends and challenge them, or even challenge complete strangers! Talk to the booker about setting up a match.

Do I have to use the provided equipment?
    No, you are allowed to use any boffer you have purchased or made yourself, once it has been verified safe. Hicks and his crew have every right to deem your boffer unsafe for use in the event. Also no polearms or ranged weapons will be allowed for this event.

Is it just one on one?
    Nope! We have several game types available, we just need enough people to sign up for them! Doubles fighting is also available on request if you have a partner or are willing to be teamed with anyone.

Is this going to hurt?
    Hicks' Answer: If you must ask then the answer is yes.

Actual Answer: Boffwe fighting IS a contact sport that involves the hitting of your opponent with a blunt instrument made of foam and plastic. How hard you will be hit may vary on the ability of the fighter. However boffer fighting is just as safe as any other sport (i.e. football, soccer, hockey).

Is this event free?
    Yes! However we will graciously accept any donations. Proceeds will go to the maintaining and production of equipment used and hopefully hosting better events!

Will refreshments be served?
    Please be aware because this is a public event and we have such little sponsorship that we will not be providing refreshements. Staying hydrated will be your responsibility. There are eternal fountains in the area so portable water bottles will be a wise decision. There is also a cafe at the Spectrum Gym that sells food and drink and requires no membership.

What will seating be like?
    Because this event is at a track seating is mostly "on the ground". Feel free to bring a blanket or lawn chair.

What should I wear?
    San Antonio weather has a tendency to be weird this time of the year so prepare for what you believe is best for physically intenisve activities. We do request you at least wear clothes that are not too revealing. Although this is technically live-action roleplaying wearing a costume is not required. But you can if you really want to, be aware Hicks and crew are not responsible for any torn or dirtied-up costumes.

Is there a limit to ho many times I can fight?
    No, but we do ask that you take breaks so you don't overexhaust. Hicks and crew reserve the right to not put you in a fight if you look exerted and need a break.
    Michael Hicks

This sounds a lot like Sleeping Samurai. Is it pretty similar?

Yes and no.

It is like it because we follow the same rules and have some of the same game types.

It's not because the gear we use is much more urbane in craftsmanship, but hey we're not asking you to pay to use our gear.
    Michael Hicks

True true, it definitely sounds interesting. Looking at my schedule right now I have nothing planned that Saturday, so if it stays that way I might show up XD

City on the River which flows through the land of Fire and Ice
    Fight Announcer Reporting for Duty!
    Facebook
    Deviantart
    SJ 6 Cosplays: Pimpachu, Grunkle Stan (Gravity Falls), & HitPony!
    Avi by Ubisoft, edited by http://kyo4kusanagi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d53j3hw

Needs To Do This: Settings | Edit Profile | Custom User Title
    I may do this, fits in with the "Harden the f*** up February" theme, but whatchout, I have put on some weight and been working out again.

O rly? Then I can't wait to see you in action! Wheher it's against someone or you're challenging me!
    Michael Hicks

I wish I could partake in the ritualistic gladiatorial combat for your amusement, but alas, I cannot. Sounds super fun though. Wish I could play.

Needs To Do This: Settings | Edit Profile | Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Hicks View Post
    O rly? Then I can't wait to see you in action! Wheher it's against someone or you're challenging me!
    Yarly. I shall fight with honor and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by SquidgyGal View Post
    I wish I could partake in the ritualistic gladiatorial combat for your amusement, but alas, I cannot. Sounds super fun though. Wish I could play.
    A SHAME! Hopefully it will he fun and what not. I plan I record some matches put it on YouTube to those who couldn't make it, that'd be fun!

And Total I can't wait, your gladiator talk thrills me.
    Michael Hicks

achieving awesomeness since day 1 alycan16's Avatar
    sounds fun, but i dont live in SA :/

Arriety - 100% done
    Parasoul from Skullgirls- 100% done
    Usagi Tsukino- 100% done
    Princess Peach Masquerade 90% done

Awww man! That's too bad! Even if people just wanted to spectate and hang that would be cool!

Maybe some other time, I hope we can host another one sometime.
    Michael Hicks

it should be displayed via web chat

Arriety - 100% done
    Usagi Tsukino- 100% done

We are hoping to put some of the fights on YouTube.
    Michael Hicks

id watch them there

Arriety - 100% done
    Usagi Tsukino- 100% done

Sorry i have sleeping samurai practice on saturdays. We meet at lions field park on saturday mornings from around 10am-2pm usually
    "A bowtie and speedo counts as a two piece" - Patches

OK, but we're running at 3:30 and for as long as anyone wants to fight. That's more than enough time of you wanted to come! Or are you just concerned you're gonna hurt us all, champ?
    Michael Hicks

more along the line of my transportation is the city bus and carrying my 7foot naginata is hassle enough just going that distance lol
    "A bowtie and speedo counts as a two piece" - Patches