Thread: My Middle School Anime Club! Ideas please!!!

My Middle School Anime Club! Ideas please!!!

I, as the president, would like to ask the Otaku community of San Antonio for their ideas for our group meetings!
    Mizuumi-Con 6: Fire Nation disguised Toph

Anime Odyssey 1, Day 1: Robin!Ciel
    Anime Odyssey 1, Day 2: Seven Year's war Austria
    Anime Odyssey 1, Day 3: Default!Teto

achieving awesomeness since day 1 alycan16's Avatar
    control the chaos!! i didnt join my high school's anime club because ppl be crazy and not the fun kind.

Arriety - 100% done
    Parasoul from Skullgirls- 100% done
    Usagi Tsukino- 100% done
    Princess Peach Masquerade 90% done

Oh my gosh, yes! There are 40+ people in our club and it's crazy! Do you have any ideas to keep them settled?

Organization. Have a plan set up for the day, and stick to it. Make sure people know that YOU are the leader of the club, and that you put in the time to organize the activities for it. Stay friendly, outgoing, and give it your best. If they dont like it, they can leave.
    I imagine 40+ people to keep track of is daunting, so ask your friends to help regulate. As long as you plan ahead of time, and stay cool, things will go smoothly.

Well, we have 5 "staff" members (my friends), and we've tried as much as possible to get everyone settled in a short time. Also, we need multiple things going on at one time since everyone likes different things. Thank you for your ideas so for, though.

His Little White Kitten DezzyDiamond's Avatar
    I have on person with a VERY loud voice call attention for my club =) it works sto get them, focused on you. Also snacks work out too
    I will be selling at Mizuumi-con and Guesting

Descendant of the Rose konoha_jounin's Avatar
    Set up some sort of donation jar or something and be sure to remind them how important it is that they contribute if they want snacks for subsequent meetings.
    "PSYCHEDELIC VIOLENCE, THE CRIME OF VISUAL SHOCK" ~~X-Japan
    http://www.san-japan.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=35&dateline=1302702993

You could do like SJ does at the Asian Festival - have Anime viewing, manga reading, and drawing/painting.
    You could also plan activities like learning Japanese and Hiragana/Katakana/Kanji for popular words/phrases.
    San Japan Main Gopher and Karaoke Coordinator
    "If something happens, I get blamed."

Check out my Work! Come, buy things!
    --> SelectionsX <--

Can you guys list some more activities? Remember, there are 40+ people and some people know one thing. Two girls only know Kiki's Delivery Service...

Make a list of animes people know/don't know. Have an "anime a week" series, like a book club. Each week members are to watch a certain anime movie or a season of a series, with those most knowledgeable of the perscribed viewing in charge of discussion. When you meet up the next week, talk about the movie or the series, like:

Was this similar to another series/movie?

Where does it draw its influences?

What drew you to this particular series?

For those who aren't familiar with it, where do you think it will go next?

Alright, so all the events I got from you guys are:
    -Anime viewing
    -manga reading
    -drawing/painting
    -learning Japanese

does anyone have any more ideas?

Playing with Flying Mint Bunnies Insanity's Avatar
    When I was in high school, my club on every Thursday use to throw a Anime viewing, so that would be a good thing to do. They let use bring some snacks along too. We also were planning to earn enough money and go to a convention together. Earning money was by selling snacks. We were going to make a magazine for the school too, but we never did that. Just be sure to bring up any "big" things you do to the principal's attention, since you can get in trouble without their permission. We also were trying to make our own manga, but then again it all depends on the resources you guys have. But, it could be a fun thing to do. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by thedeadlyone View Post
    Oh my gosh, yes! There are 40+ people in our club and it's crazy! Do you have any ideas to keep them settled?
    Tazers. Cattle prods. People shut up quick when they got electricity running through their body.

Though if you prefer non-violence you can go with the traditional Jay Shout, Megaphone, or the classic whistle. And believe me if you have 40+ people in the club I wouldn't be afraid to drop people because they can't keep it calm during meetings. Just saying, just saying.
    Michael Hicks
    San Japan Support Director-"Being everywhere and nowhere since '09"

Regularly Showing Up SonicRenegade84's Avatar
    Well, I come from a community college anime club so I can tell you right now that if you want to keep people interested, don't be a club that ONLY watches anime. Have people throw out ideas for activities and probably pitch out ideas that aren't anime related like bowling or laser tag (cosplay laser tag would be awesome haha). Also, since only two girls know about Kiki's Delivery Service, i've lost a bit of respect for your club but since it's a middle school club, I forgive them. Also, when it comes to watching anime (when you decide to, and this is coming from a spender of anime), make sure to bring official releases and watch legal streams. Does your club have a sponser? He might be able to help with getting a Crunchyroll account or something like that.

One more thing (just for suggestions), if your club only knows about one anime a person, here's some titles that might build their catalog.

-Neon Genesis Evangelion (sub/dub are good)
    -Anything from OLD Toonami (god bless them if they don't know what Toonami is)
    -Genshiken (sub/dub are good)
    -For comedy, Azumanga Daioh (sub/dub are good) and Lucky Star (preferred dubbed), also Pani Poni Dash (I liked the dub, but either is fine)
    -If there's any music fans in your club, BECK and K-ON are good picks (BECK dubbed, K-ON subbed) along with Nerima Daikon Bros (DEFINITELY dubbed)
    -If they like Shonen, One Piece (Arlong and/or Alabasta arc is recommended) and Soul Eater (either sub or dub is fine)

Sorry for rambling on haha, here's what I would do in your shoes. Have fun!
    Last edited by SonicRenegade84; 06-06-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Insert Awesome line here merus322's Avatar
    I'm in the same situation actually XD but we're still MAKING the club (So many middle schoolers don't keep up with their plans,at least,not where i am XD) My best guess is to be super open,and ask suggestions for meetings from the members. Have like,a small manga library set up in one area where those who don't wish to participate can read in peace,and have maybe two events each meeting? You might even want to try and show them a bit about cosplay and other things that are connected to anime,but is productive,like others have said.Doing comedies and slice of life styled anime's should be pretty good for everyone to relate to (Toss in the occasional action/drama to keep the shonen and shoujo lovers at bay XD) I hope this helped with your club??
    ~A new con, a new schedule~
    Upcoming cons/SJ7 Cosplays~!
    Other upcoming cons: Anime Matsuri (Possibly) and SJ7
    Cosplays: (TBA)

love meeting new people :) Isa-chan's Avatar
    I was actually in the Japanese Club in my high school. It was called Japanese Club but all they watched was anime...
    I didnt really mind but they didnt even bother to learn about Japan. Even when my mom came over to teach Japanese they acted like the knew it all especially the president of the club, and really it was kind of like seriously? because she is fluent in japanese since she is part japanese.lol. So i hope that you dont have to deal with members like this.

Other than that u should learn about Japan maybe even take a trip there. Thats what the japanese club did. But maybe u can do that only once u hit high school

Quote Originally Posted by SonicRenegade84 View Post
    Also, since only two girls know about Kiki's Delivery Service, i've lost a bit of respect for your club but since it's a middle school club, I forgive them. Also, when it comes to watching anime (when you decide to, and this is coming from a spender of anime), make sure to bring official releases and watch legal streams. Does your club have a sponser? He might be able to help with getting a Crunchyroll account or something like that.
    Haha yes, well I kinda need to work on those two XD
    And my librarian takes care of all the legal stuff, so we're running a legal operation here! ^^

Rather than Crunchyroll, someone should have a Hulu or Netflix to watch Anime. Someone in the club is BOUND to have access..
    San Japan Main Gopher and Karaoke Coordinator
    "If something happens, I get blamed."

Check out my Work! Come, buy things!
    --> SelectionsX <--