- What is San Japan? Who are you? Why should I attend? What should I expect?
- When & Where is San Japan happening this year?
- What time does things start at San Japan?
- Do I need to dress up in a costume in order to attend San Japan?
- Is there a minimum age in order to attend San Japan?
- Do I need to bring an ID? When is an ID required? What kind of ID will be acceptable?
- If I buy I badge, does it cost extra to enter the Cosplay Show, go to a certain event or go to the concert?
- Can I bring my own food to San Japan?
- If I cosplay at San Japan, am I required to enter the Cosplay Show?
- What is the San Japan room party policy?
- What does San Japan do to ensure the safety of the attendees?
- I have an awesome idea for programming that I’d like to help with. Who can I talk to?
- What kind of programming will be available at San Japan?
- How can I be a panelist? How many hours do I have to do to receive a free badge?
- Can I use space in the convention area for a private function?
- Will be there a ‘Dance’ at San Japan?
- What is San Japan? Who are you? Why should I attend? What should I expect?
The above video created by KSAT 12 in 2010 does an excellent job to answer those burning questions. We couldn’t even write out a better description. We had over 11,000 attendees for our 2013 convention.
- When & Where is San Japan happening this year? San Japan is happening on July 18th-20th, 2014 in downtown San Antonio, Texas on the famous Riverwalk at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center and the San Antonio Grand Hyatt Hotel. It is located right by the Rivercenter Mall.
600 E. Market St.
San Antonio, Texas 78205 Back to top
- What time does things start at San Japan? The convention starts at 9am on July 18th, 2014. For specific times, click here for the exact times for registration and Dealer room hours. We will be posting schedules on the San Japan website starting in early July 2014 on when panels & events would be happening. Back to top
- Do I need to dress up in a costume in order to attend San Japan? It is not required at all. You will see a lot of people who will be dressed up but all we ask is to bring yourself and try to have fun at San Japan. Back to top
- Is there a minimum age in order to attend San Japan? San Japan is an all-ages convention. However, if you are under the age of 13, you will need to have a parent or legal guardian who is 18 or above with you at all times. Back to top
- Do I need to bring an ID? When is an ID required? What kind of ID will be acceptable? Your ID is only necessary if you plan to pick up your pre-registration badge by showing your ID OR if you plan to attend any 17+/18+ events. You do not have to show your ID in order to purchase a badge at the convention. The electronic dance is an all-ages event and does not require ID to enter. All events will require a convention badge which will be checked at all events.
We will ONLY accept Government Issued ID’s with picture ID such as a driver’s license, Texas State ID or USA Issued Passport. We will NOT accept school IDs, birth certificates, or social security card. If you plan to attend any 17+/18+ events, it it imperative that you have an ID. We will not make any exceptions if you do not have a government-issued picture ID and attempt to enter a 17+/18+ as we check everyone’s ID upon allowing entry. An expired ID is okay as long as the birth date and photo is recent. We will not allow an underage person, even with parent or guardian permission, into a 17+/18+ panel. No gov’t issued picture ID = No admission to a 17+/18+ panel.Back to top
- If I buy I convention badge, does it cost extra to enter the Cosplay Show, go to a certain event or go to the concert? No, it does not. Your membership badge is your ticket. We will NOT be charging extra for you to see any of the music acts that we’re bringing in or charge extra to watch the cosplay show. We do not charge extra to attend a panel. We want everyone to enjoy all the fun they can with just their badge. The only time a panel or event will cost extra will be if we absolutely need to charge extra. This applies to panels which include additional materials, arcade machine or the Maid Cafe. We will inform attendees about this ahead of time. Back to top
- Can I bring my own food to San Japan? You are perfectly allowed to bring your own food to San Japan. You can store it in a bag or in your hotel. The only restriction is that you can’t sell food on the convention floor in the hotel or convention center.Back to top
- If I cosplay at San Japan, am I required to enter the Cosplay Show? No, we do not require cosplayers to enter the Cosplay Show or cosplay events. You may show up in a costume if you’d like and no further action is required besides having fun.Back to top
- What is the San Japan room party policy? It is the policy of San Japan that what goes on in the privacy of a hotel room is not of the convention’s concern. However, we do ask that room parties be kept to a reasonable size (remember the fire marshal restrictions) and that the noise be kept at a reasonable volume. Hotel security WILL break up parties that receive complaints. However, if San Japan safety personnel have reason to believe that illegal activities or activities that could threaten the welfare of the convention are taking place at a room party, they have a duty and a responsibility to act to ensure the safety of all involved. Back to top
- What does San Japan do to ensure the safety of the attendees? Safety is at the top priority of our list. We hire San Antonio Police officers and have them stated in high-traffic areas for the entire duration of our convention. Our safety staff department, wear bright color t-shirts when on duty. They try to ensure that their presence is known. If an attendee is ever feeling uneasy in going back to their car or hotel room we offer a courtesy escort when requested. We even go as far as to have EMT on-site. We are located in the middle of the Riverwalk, a popular tourist destination, with officers visible throughout the area to ensure the safety of the patrons.Back to top
- I have an awesome idea for programming that I’d like to help with. Who can I talk to? Post it on the message forum. We will be taking Event Submissions in Winter 2013. We are now taking event/panel submissions as of Dec. 31st, 2013 and it ends on May 15th, 2014. Back to top
- What kind of programming will be available at San Japan? As an Anime convention, we will be bringing you multiple viewing rooms, gaming, interactive events, game shows industry panels, and more. Back to top
- How can I be a panelist? How many hours do I have to do to receive a free badge? THANK YOU! To post a suggest, go to our message forum with your suggestion.
To receive a free 3-day panelist badge, you must hold at least 4 hours of approved panels/events. If you have a companion(s) helping out, that companion must also be with you in your panels for all 4 hours of panels/events. Starting in 2014, we will give out discount codes for panelists with 2 or 3 hours in approved programming.Back to top
- Can I use space in the convention area for a private function? Sorry, but liability and space constraints prohibit us from offering this. You may setup a meetup on the message forum.Back to top
- Will be there a ‘Dance’ at San Japan? We will have multiple ‘dances’ during San Japan. On both Friday & Saturday night starting at around midnight will be a ‘dance’ with Electronic Dance Music and multiple DJs (we can’t answer the question on what type of music that will be played there, that is up to the DJ). The EDM Dances are all-ages shows.
On Friday evening will be the Formal Masquerade hosted by San Japan Masquerade Event Staff. This will be a strict dress code which requires a mask. The rules for the formal dance are on the San Japan website.Back to top