Here are some of the general rules for San Japan including events, badge rules, dress code, lining up for events, dance and other policies. Please read over these carefully. If you have any questions about Cosplay Props, click here for that FAQ.
San Japan General Rules & Behavior Guidelines
Violation or ignorance of the following rules can result in revoked badges or expulsion from the convention.
1. A valid badge must be purchased and worn openly at all times. Persons who do not have a badge displayed on the con floor will be asked to leave. Any person without a valid badge will not be permitted entry into events or vendor spaces.
2. Only ADA working animals with proper verification are allowed in the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center. The Grand Hyatt is a pet-friendly hotel. Cats and dogs under 50lbs will be permitted in the hotel with permission from hotel staff.
3. No alcohol or drugs are permitted in convention spaces at any time. Guests under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be asked to return to their rooms. Refusal to return to your room may result in action by the San Antonio Police Department.
4. Shoes must be worn at all times in convention spaces. “Barefoot” cosplays must wear shoes or non open-toe lyricals, however they may be removed for photographs.
5. No sleeping is permitted in any convention spaces including lobbies, hallways, vendor spaces, and gaming.
6. While waiting for an event, form a single-file orderly line under the direction of convention volunteers. Cosplayers taking pictures are encouraged to move to the side of the hallway or find an open space where they will not impede the flow of traffic. Sitting against hallway walls is not permitted at any time.
7. Follow all convention staff, convention volunteer, hotel staff and convention center staff instructions. Treat staff and volunteers with respect and courtesy. If a problem arises with a convention volunteer, seek out Safety and report the issue immediately.
8. Do not move or tamper with hotel property or equipment including lobby chairs, couches, curtains, doors, windows, etc. Do not move or tamper with convention property including tables, microphones, video equipment, etc. If you require assistance with convention or hotel property, ask a convention staff member.
9. Do not affix signs, posters, banners or anything else to walls, doors, windows or floors in the convention space.
10. Mistreatment of other guests is prohibited. Complaints of harassment, stalking, bullying and mobbing will be investigated and may result in expulsion from the convention. San Japan has a zero tolerance policy for sexual harassment and discrimination.
11. Locals, tourists, and others not involved in the convention will naturally be curious about the convention and its attendees. Treat these individuals with courtesy and respect. Our convention has an excellent reputation in the city of San Antonio because of our excellent attendees.
Prop and Weapon Rules
1. No live weaponry such as edged steel, non-replica firearms, or functional projectile weaponry is permitted in convention spaces at any time.
2. All props must be examined and approved by the safety desk immediately upon entering convention spaces. Unchecked weaponry will be directed to the safety desk. Repeated failures to have weaponry approved will result in expulsion from the convention.
3. All projectile weaponry including Airsoft, Nerf, and Paintball weaponry must be unloaded, trigger locked, and must have the barrel plugged. Bright orange barrel plugs are required.
4. All weapons purchased in vendor spaces must immediately be transported in the box or packaging to the guest’s hotel room or vehicle and left there for the duration of the convention.
5. No swinging, play fighting, firing projectiles, or throwing of any kind will be permitted at any time. Violation of this rule will result in possible expulsion from the convention.
San Japan Dress Code
1. San Japan is a family-friendly convention. Excessively revealing clothing or costumes are not permitted. Private areas must be covered with opaque cloth at all times. Guests in excessively revealing attire will be asked to change.
2. Convention spaces have a “no shirt, no shoes, no service” policy. Because of this, shirts and shoes must be worn at all times and may only be removed for photographs.
3. No profanity or graphic sexual imagery may be displayed on costumes or clothing.
Dance/Electronic Music Rules
1. No alcohol or drugs are permitted in the dance at any time.
2. Handbags are subject to search, and bags larger than a handbag are not permitted inside dance spaces.
3. Staff will not watch over bags, jackets, or other loose items you do not wish to bring to the dance floor. San Japan assumes no responsibility for lost or stolen property.
4. Staff may initiate a voluntary search for alcohol or drugs at any time.
5. Stringing is allowed only in designated areas. Do not string close to other stringers. Unsafe situations may result in loss of the stringing area and stringing privileges.
6. No bulky cosplay or large props are allowed in the dance space.
7. Shoes must be worn at all times in the dance space.
Event and Line Rules
1. Keep lines single-file, and stay close to walls/barricades.
2. Do not block doorways with the line.
3. No cutting under any circumstances. Friends may not save your spot in line for you.
4. Occasionally, staff needs to speak loudly enough that the entire line hears the instructions. Event volunteers are not yelling at you.
5. For events with seats, completely fill in all seats and do not leave any empty seats. You may not be able to sit next to all members of your party.
6. Event specific rules will be announced at the start of the event. Please listen carefully to all event rules.
7. Staff reserves the right to ask any attendee to leave if they are being disruptive or not following the rules. Attendees that do not listen to staff instructions may be expelled from the convention.