San Japan Cares is the outreach and access-focused support team for San Antonio’s largest Japanese Culture and Anime Convention. We look to affirm San Japan as a family-friendly event for all community members. Look for us near the Hall 4B Entrance.
Services provided by SJ Cares include:
Guests requiring accessibility services are encouraged to contact us early to help us plan.
Pre-registration is not necessary to receive support services. After obtaining a badge, check in at the San Japan Cares booth near Registration.
Look for our volunteers with the Green Flags around the convention. We are a small staff but will be working hard to ensure anyone needing help is provided it.
Any data collected by the San Japan Cares team will be handled confidentially in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and destroyed at the completion of the event.
This is a pilot program administered by San Japan Community Relations. Your assistance with feedback is greatly appreciated. For more information or to register a compliance issue please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Please plan to show up to panels or activities at least 10 minutes prior to published start time. Accessible seating will only be held until the doors open or seating begins.
2. Please plan to show up to “Main Stage” at least 15 minutes prior to published start time. Accessible seating will only be held until the doors open and seating begins.
3. Guests requiring accessibility services are encouraged to share their tentative schedules with SJ Cares staff to help us plan for support.
4. SJ Cares staff will carry Green Flags and be located near the door of main events or pre-arranged panel/activity rooms. Please feel free to approach any with your questions.
5. San Japan does not provide mobility devices such as wheelchairs and crutches.
6. Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under Titles II and III of the ADA.
7. We do not require medical documentation of disabilities, except when permissible by law, but may request voluntary disclosure about the nature of a disability to provide better service.
8. Any information collected by San Japan staff and volunteers is subject to HIPAA handling guidelines and will be destroyed at the completion of the convention.
9. San Japan reserves the right, as allowed by the Americans with Disabilities Act, to inquire 1) if a service animal is required because of disability; and 2) what work or task the animal has been trained to perform.
10. For individuals requiring aid for mobility devices, as allowed by the Americans with Disabilities Act, San Japan requires credible assurance of disability which generally consists of a verbal confirmation of need but may including a valid State disability parking placard or other Federal or State-issued proof of disability.
11. San Japan will investigate potential misuse of San Japan Cares accessibility. Any fraudulently obtained services will result in immediate expulsion of the individual/s from the premises, a ban from future San Japan-affiliated activities, and civil or criminal prosecution as allowed under municipal, state, and federal law.
For more information or to register a compliance issue please contact us at: email@example.com