Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Formal Dance Masquerade Feedback

Formal Dance Masquerade Feedback

This is one I'm hearing a lot about on all sides. Just starting a thread.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

City on the River which flows through the land of Fire and Ice

My Two Cents

The only problem I had was that the room, while bigger, was still was too small for this event.
    Facebook
    Deviantart
    SJ 6 Cosplays: Pimpachu, Grunkle Stan (Gravity Falls), & HitPony!
    Avi by Ubisoft, edited by http://kyo4kusanagi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d53j3hw

Commander of the Rabbit Army happygoldfish's Avatar
    Yeah, the room was way too small. This may be due in part to the fact that we've outgrown the Marriot, but when we get over to the HBG convention center I hope we can have a room at least the size of the dealer's hall or main events. To have people who have gone through ALOT of TROUBLE to get showered, dressed, masked etc. waiting in the hall against the wall for over and hour+ is not cool. I got in the masquerade line 45 minutes early so I could get in for sure, but I felt terrible for all those stuck out in the hall, dressed to the nine's and unable to attend. I sincerely hope they all at least got a chance to come in, although I'm pretty sure they did not. I know I'd be pissed.
    So, while I know it could not be helped for this year, much bigger room next year please?
    Last edited by happygoldfish; 08-08-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Cosplays in the works:
    That one guy from that show and the character from that movie that came out a few years ago.

Past 10 Posts
    Also, there needs to be a clear separation of where dancing will occur and where socializing will occur. There wasn't, and it made the room a straight up cluster. It was difficult to navigate at most times.

Sadly, one thing that may be beyond control that disappointed me were the number of wallflowers that weren't dancing, weren't conversing, and barely moved for the time I spent in there. Whereas these people seemed bored and unwilling to join the event, people were stuck in the hallway for up to or over an hour with no ability to enjoy the event.

I loved the event because I got to dance with friends and random people I asked a lot.

Only had a few issues...
    -The Theme: Didn't seem too formal in my opinion. Personally didn't like the Minecraft theme.

-The Room: It did have a larger room than last year, but I guess there was more people attending it than suspected. Just a larger place for it and it'll be fine.

-Music: I don't mind a mix, but all I mainly heard was fast paced music. I rather like slower paced music and was expecting more waltz music.

These are mainly opinion based on my end, others may have a completely different opinion than I.
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

Just to let you all know, we are happy to listen to anything you have to say!

For the time being, here is the song list from the masq!

Phantom - Masquerade (Edited)
    Akio Enbukyoku ~ Video na Kioku Waltz
    Bobby Darin - Somewhere Beyond the Sea Quickstep
    Nyan Cat Jazz Gen.
    Labyrinth - As the World Falls Down Gen.
    Big Bad Voodoo Daddy - When it Comes to love Foxtrot
    Cuban Pete Latin
    FF8 - Eyes on Me Gen.
    Kuroshituji - A Diabolic Waltz Waltz
    Fruits Basket - Chiisana na Inori Waltz
    Henry Mancini - Pink Panther Theme Foxtrot
    Katamari on the Swing Swing
    Evangelion - Fly Me to the Moon Gen.
    Mahou Tsukai Tai - Mata Aishita Gen.
    Cake - Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps Latin
    Monsters Inc. Theme Quickstep
    Cherry Poppin Daddies - Shake Senora Latin
    Madoka Magica - Sis Puella Magica! Waltz
    Karigurashi no Arietti - Arrietty's Song Gen.
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Clock Town Day 2 Gen.
    Memoirs of a Giesha - Chairman's Waltz Waltz
    FF9 - Melodies of Life (English) Gen.
    The Princess and the Frog - When We're Human Again Quickstep
    Baccano no theme Foxtrot
    Zelda Shop - Big Band Live Latin
    Bette Midler/Andrew Sisters - Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Swing
    Celia Cruz - La Vida Es Un Carnaval (Samba) Latin
    FF8 - Waltz for the Moon Waltz
    Anastasia - Once Upon a December (Russian) Waltz
    Elfen Lied - Hanayou Waltz
    Sailor Moon -Pretty Cast- - Moonlight Densetsu QuickStep
    Captain T. - La Senorita Latin
    Brian Setzer - Getting in the Mood Swing
    Basa Nova Zettai Unmei Mokushiriku Latin
    Hayley Westenra - Dark Waltz Waltz
    Outlaw Star - Hiru no Tsuki Gen.
    Fractale - Down By The Sally Gardens Gen.
    Cowboy Bebop - You Make Me Cool Foxtrot
    FF10 - Suteki da Ne Gen.
    Judy Garland - Puttin on the Ritz Gen.
    Shakria - Ojos Asi Latin
    Paul Anka - Smells Like Teen Spirit Quickstep
    Legend of Zelda Market Theme/Hyrule Castle - Hyrule Symphony Waltz
    DDR - Heaven is '57 Metalic Gray Swing
    DNA Angel - Yasashii gogo Gen.
    Clive Peterson - When I See and Elephant Fly Quickstep
    Hare & Guu - Love Tropicana Deluxe Latin
    Oktavia von Seckdorff Waltz
    Pokemon Ocean Waltz Waltz
    Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec: FINAL FANTASY VIII - Dance with the Balamb fish Quickstep
    Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zuit Suit Riot Swing
    They Might Be Giants - Istanbul, Not Constantinople Quickstep
    Paul Young - Tainted Love Foxtrot
    Distant Worlds - Swing de Chocobo Swing
    Big Bad Vodoo Daddy - So Long-Farewell-Goodbye Swing

Ah, I see a lot more slower songs at the first half. I wasn't able to be there for the first half due to the line we were waiting in. Maybe mixing up the music more so people don't miss out in case of a line next time?
    San-Japan 7
    Pete - South Park
    Kevin - Welcome to Desert Bluffs
    Miles Edgeworth - Ace Attorney
    Thorin Oakenshielf - The Hobbit

City on the River which flows through the land of Fire and Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiBritt View Post
    Just to let you all know, we are happy to listen to anything you have to say!

For the time being, here is the song list from the masq!
    Thanks a million for this.
    Facebook
    Deviantart
    SJ 6 Cosplays: Pimpachu, Grunkle Stan (Gravity Falls), & HitPony!
    Avi by Ubisoft, edited by http://kyo4kusanagi.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d53j3hw

I have the same complaints like everyone else...and a complaint thats just my bad luck. but CMON REALLY?! U play princess tutu when im NOT her and play it when im Anastasia! This year was vice versa!! UR KILLING ME HERE! Dx

achieving awesomeness since day 1 alycan16's Avatar
    yeah my main complaint was the line, we waited for an hour in high heels, by the time we got in my feet were hurting too much to dance. there were also too many wallflowers that were not dancing at all while there was a long line of people who wanted to dance waiting outside.

Arriety - 100% done
    Parasoul from Skullgirls- 100% done
    Usagi Tsukino- 100% done
    Princess Peach Masquerade 90% done

Yaye for song list! There was a gorgeous waltz on there that I've been dying to hear again, thanks, Britt!

My complaint was the "theme." Balamb Garden's ball? Princess Tutu? Sailor Moon? Ouran HSHC's ball? And we got Minecraft? I facepalmed when I saw the Creeper cut-out. But I still took some gravel to give to a friend back home.

The music? I loved it. Seeing my friends make complete fools of themselves trying to dance to Zoot Suit Riot almost made me pee myself.

Wallflowers? I tried to get a few off the wall, including someone I BROUGHT WITH ME, but they were pretty obstinate this year. I did get asked to dance a lot, which was nice

Let's get some more chairs maybe, next time, and be more efficient with the space to decorations ratio. Minecraft blocks take up too much space, they could've at least been sturdy enough to sit on.

They did make packing for the trip home a lot easier, so thanks for that

Also, I didn't forget about it, I just didn't mind the wait.
    Cosplays for San Japan Sinister Six:
    Lilypad Princess Tiana- Princess and the Frog
    Twilight Sparkle/Rave Sparkle- My Little Pony
    Breeder- Pokemon

Oh man that line....

We were not expecting THAT many people. Actually, the con itself wasn't expecting that many people. We were originally going to have a little bit larger room, but about 3 weeks before the con, the hotel made Dave move a ton of rooms around for safety purposes. So we ended up where we did.

Luckily, next year we get a hotel upgrade and with that I would assume a room upgrade to go with it.

As for a theme, we are already popping ideas around and chances whatever we choose will be a little bit more formal. The cons theme just asks for it!

We really apologize for that line. I know you guys had to wait a long time, but I also appreciate that you stuck by it. You were all so lovely!

SJ Steampunk Coordinator
    The main complaints I heard from people were the line, the theme, half of the music selection, the size of the room, and people I saw in proper former wear (according to the pre-convention unmodified rules) having been turned away (with this last point being a major stickler of mine in regards to the event).

I did not attend it myself due to the line, though, so I am only passing along what I saw and heard as a staff member.
    SJ Steampunk Coordinator

Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!

San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Co-Chairman & Co-Founder

Past 10 Posts
    Something else to argue is that while the original room in comparison to the inside area last year is bigger...we also had a large patio last year, where people could go to converse. I actually would believe with the patio area included, we had more room last year than this year.

I'll add a little more since I have slept a bit since the con

Music:

I think it was an improvement from the first year, but I will totally make sure to have more slower songs spread out for everyone next year. I had a few more towards the end, but due to time constraints had to drop them.

Starting on time:

Well...we would have started on time however things just didn't turn out as planned. The panel before us went way over. We had asked for the full three hours to prep, but we didn't get started until at least 30 minutes late. Sadly we really needed those 3 hours XD

We worked as fast as we could, but it still started a bit later than planned.

I want to send a big thanks to the lovely ladies of Texas Musume. After the masq. they came in and randomly helped us break boxes down and clean up. Super awesome!

Masq. Attire Rules:

Next year, as we make changes we will make 100% sure to get the website updated with the rules. Most of our changes took place in the forums. I would make sure to highlight anything new in red. The large printed copy that was in front of the room had been printed a bit prior to the convention so didn't reflect the most updated info. We will make sure to have it updated for next year.

I think we plan to have a section for children and a section for those with various special needs or circumstances.

Room:

As I said there was some room moving around last minute, and while it still wasn't quite large enough to handle the amount of people we had, it was our best option. We would either be back to back with the Main Events room and competing with the sound from the concerts with only an air wall for separation, OR we would have had the room we had last year. While it was nice to have a the terrace for people to converse, the constant opening of the doors made the room extremely hot. We had a ton of people have to leave last year because of the heat.

So yes, while it wasn't the most ideal room ever....it really was the best option for us to host the masq. in.

Of course next year we will hope for a much bigger room! :P

Theme:

We wanted to go with something a little less traditional, but still nerdy. While it was certainly non-traditional I think the Minecraft theme went over well for the most part.

Next year however, I would expect you'll see something a bit more formal. As I said, we have been throwing around ideas already. It really just boils down to what kind of room we end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiBritt View Post
    Masq. Attire Rules:

Next year, as we make changes we will make 100% sure to get the website updated with the rules. Most of our changes took place in the forums. I would make sure to highlight anything new in red. The large printed copy that was in front of the room had been printed a bit prior to the convention so didn't reflect the most updated info. We will make sure to have it updated for next year.

I think we plan to have a section for children and a section for those with various special needs or circumstances.
    And pictures! Please include pictures as examples!

(I had pushed for it last year, I will really push for it this year.)
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    And pictures! Please include pictures as examples!

(I had pushed for it last year, I will really push for it this year.)

We actually had picture but there was a mix up on our end and they didn't get printed.

But they do exist!!

I have to agree with Pablo on the attire. I almost got thrown out of line because I wasn't in dress shoes but Dress Boots. And really? your goning just judging a person because they tried their best to sew something formal and your gonna turn your nose up at them.

Cheap-looking fabric, inappropriate/torn up shoes, wrinkled/crumpled garments, and ratty-looking tangled wigs, for example, can ruin an otherwise lovely ensemble. For example, if your dress is a nice cut and of very nice-looking fabric (satin, taffeta, velvet, etc.) but ends just above your knee, we will probably let you in. If your dress is the same length but obviously made out of cheapo fabric (muslin, broadcloth, anything that's fraying, has runs or loose threads) and/or is constructed poorly, we probably won't let you in. We won't be flipping hems, but if edges are unfinished and it isn't ironed, if you've obviously had to tape things together, or if your seams are coming out, you're into unacceptable territory. We will be judging holistically - if your overall outfit looks nice, we may be willing to stretch the rules a little, but if you try to stretch them too much you risk not being allowed in.
    Please be less cruel to those who are learning to sew. going elitist will only turn them away from sewing their own garments.

in terms of the wallflowers, I was able to help out a few of them and make them start dancing with the other people. Many thanked me for showing them the ropes. I enjoyed myself but please be more lenient next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitephoenix View Post
    I have to agree with Pablo on the attire. I almost got thrown out of line because I wasn't in dress shoes but Dress Boots. And really? your goning just judging a person because they tried their best to sew something formal and your gonna turn your nose up at them.

Please be less cruel to those who are learning to sew. going elitist will only turn them away from sewing their own garments.

I know we allowed several people in with actual dress boots. We were actually pretty lenient with footwear this year, if you weren't wearing sneakers.

And for those people just learning to sew - if your sewing skills aren't that great and what you've made doesn't look formal, then a formal Masquerade Ball isn't the place to try and show off your newest project. You have lots of options if you can't afford much - go to the thrift store, wear an old prom outfit, wear a dress shirt and slacks or a nice dress (most people have these for job interviews and such). It just needs to be formalwear.

I know a lot of our crew ended up borrowing old prom dresses from each other. That's another option

From what I understand we only turned away maybe 15-20 people at most from that entire line. Those that were turned away were either trolling or completely didn't read the rules. Unfortunately, a few people caused scenes, but that happens. Regardless, even some of THOSE fires were put out and things ended well for both sides. Aside from that, we wanted to allow as many people as we could that fit reasonably within the rules.

I know we really feel terrible about that line - especially you ladies with heals! I don't think there was more we could have done on our end when it came to line length, but what I hope this shows SJ that you really want a formal masquerade which will in turn prove that we need a much larger room to accommodate more of you. If we could, we would have gotten 100+ chairs for all of you to sit on while waiting in line. You all are major troopers!