Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Guest Requests for San Japan 5

Airship Isabella should return as a guest. Delirium of Grandeur would also be an awesome guest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammerquist View Post
    howdy, I am planning to attend this year but I have heard that no Steampunk presents is going to be allowed by the Con. I want to see Airship Isabella again but I will not be attending if it is a No Steampunk event.
    I am unsure where you heard of this. SJ is very welcoming of steampunk and all fandoms. As long as it doesnt break any of the rules you are free to rock what you want and love. But there is no rule against any fandom.

Airship Isabella
    Mr Saturday & Sixpence

Airship Isabella is a must! They were awesome last year! There panels were packed! They are friendly and approachable.

It would be nice to have Sleeping Samurai back as-well.

Please invite Airship Isabella!! The LARP last year BLEW my mind and everyone had a wonderful time! I love anime and steampunk and SanJapan has stood as my all time favorite con of last year for perfectly mixing the two. It was my absolute favorite and I went to like... 15 cons including A-kon and Afest. I literally boast about SanJapan at every con I go to. The Isabella added the sugar on top of what was already a great con and it soared to my favorite immediately. I love SanJapan I plan to attend, but please bring back the Airship Isabella! It wouldn't be the same without them!

As said before Airship Isabella is a definite must! They are great and fun people, awesome to talk to, and always willing to help people with their Steampunk projects. These guys are good at leading panels on steampunk as well as DIY panels, and they are great about inspiring people to create their own steampunk characters. All this is and more. Now they have a LARP that has been lead by Jim Trent. He's a really great guy as well and the LARP in LAnime was a HUGE success. I request not only do ASI come, but they bring him and do a LARP here at SJ. There are a lot of great minds on the writing team, and we can make this LARP rather excellent. Even if we can't do the LARP, bringing ASI is again a Definite MUST!

Steampunk or Bust!

Also, as another idea, Marquis of Vaudeville is an amazing band and did a great concert at LAnime. I'm sure they'd love to come to San Japan as well.

Commander of the Rabbit Army happygoldfish's Avatar
    Something weird is going on here...
    Cosplays in the works:
    That one guy from that show and the character from that movie that came out a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by happygoldfish View Post
    Something weird is going on here...
    We can tell when someone tries to do a rally call.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post
    Isn't that what Forums, Chat Rooms, and Conventions are for? ...organization and unity.

New Person
    Airship Isabella and Sleeping Samurai should be guests at san japan again

I vote Airship Isabella, the l.a.r.p. last year was epic and steampunk is a must have at any con. Being an employee of the Marriott hotel I can tell you that the most popular and memorable costumes for both con goers and even the workers were the original, hand made, "oo-shiny," steampunk attire.

New Person

My Reasoning for Airship Isabella

Quote Originally Posted by Proz View Post

I know this is very long, but I would hope everyone would take the time to read it;
    I initially wasn't going to post, but I wanted to respectfully explain my point of view and why I believe that ASI should be a part of San Japan.
    Please take no offense.

There are many members of the community who view Airship Isabella as both an inspiration and a positive influence in the Steampunk, and convention, culture. It is true that Steampunk may not be strictly anime, but there are many animes/mangas/etc. that have been influenced or include aspects of the Steampunk ideology and aesthetic. Plus, many of the individuals who are interested in Steampunk started out interested in Anime/Manga and Japanese culture and in the Convention scene.
    There are many reasons why said individuals gained an interest in Steampunk, among them being the kind and approachable attitude that ASI continues to show.

For as long as I've seen them, ASI has promoted acceptance and kindness towards the con community- whether they were interested in Steampunk, Anime, or comics made no difference in their attitude towards others. Their influence on the community has definitely been a positive one. In addition to their numerous panels, LARP Event, and products- it is their attitude that has taken them so far and makes them an absolutely pleasure to deal with.

This thread is asking for suggestions as far as guests go, and that is the feedback you are receiving. Many Con-dwellers who frequent events in Texas (Even in Kansas, Louisiana, and more) already know of ASI and travel great distances to attend events with them. They are a very helpful group, and definitely the people I recommend to those who have a blossoming interest in the Steampunk genre. I have even seen many other con-attendees (not Steampunk, but Cosplayers, Lolita, Ravers, or what have you) to go the members of ASI with some conflict, and they have always been received with ]acceptance and a kind ear- no matter how little they know the members.
    They bring a large draw from all sorts of groups with their Steampunk presence, and it inspires many to travel out in order to partake in events with them.

All the posts you have seen are merely voices trying to make themselves heard. Whether they know ASI personally, or are just fans, doesn't make their opinion or thoughts any less important than anyone else posting on this thread. They simply want to make clear that there IS a desire to see Airship Isabella at San Japan, and that if you introduce them as a guest you will have more of a draw and more interest than if you excluded them.
    This is not a mob trying to force your hand, but a group of individuals expressing their desire for a Steampunk presence within the Con.

Over the past couple years Steampunk has started to expand and grow. I attended San Japan last year (San Japan 4TW), and I saw way more of a presence there than I had seen the year before (San Japan :3). I have no doubt that the interest and participation in this subculture will continue to grow, and I sincerely hope that San Japan will not only be accepting of this, but will make an effort to include them in their schedules and events.

No matter what your decision, I know there are many Steampunks/Anime Cosplayers who have attended San Japan the last few years and respect the convention, coordinators, and their decisions. Excluding Airship Isabella would be a huge disappointment to many of them, but it is an understandable one. The posts in the above thread are just a few of the many that look forward to seeing ASI as a guest, and attending their panels/LARP/etc.

Quite simply: they have a lot to offer, and although they may not be a big inspiration to you: they have been a big inspiration to many people. I know that San Japan will still have a wonderful turnout and be an amazing convention, even without ASI. However, it is my personal opinion that adding ASI would do more to improve convention attendance & entertainment than excluding them would do.

This is going to be my only post in this thread; I know that many of the other con-goers probably don't want the entire thread spammed by the same suggestion repeatedly. I know I wouldn't.
    I only registered to represent my own opinion & actually explain my reasoning behind it rather than just mention a name.

I hope that, at the very least, people will consider including ASI in San Japan.
    I apologize for the length of this post, and I am sure that others could give you a hundred other reasons as to why they believe ASI should be a guest, but those are mine.

Respectfully yours,
    Dollfaced

No Airship Isabella = No Necro Kittie or my Airship

I was at san japan last year and the stuff that Airship Isabella was doing really made the con for me. This year my whole crew was planning on going but now hearing that Airship Isabella might not be there.. I am not so sure anymore. It's a 3 hour drive for me and gas prices are high so unless a whole bunch of steampunkery is guaranteed like it is when Airship Isabella is at a convention, then I'm definitely not going. and if i am not going, i suspect the rest of my crew won't be going either which takes out about half the steampunks from the corpus christi area from going to san japan. Knowing the other half they probably won't go either.

I'm not going to threaten with my absence or my airship's absence if Airship Isabella doesn't go, but I know I would definitely be less excited about this con. It is true that we're all jumping on this opportunity, but we feel like we must do so in order to bring back an institution that could very well be an integral part of this SJ and all others beyond that.

My first convention ever was San Japan 4TW and it was truly one of the best experiences I've ever had out in public. I was blown away by the spirit and dedication of all the anime/cosplay fans to their culture and was very impressed by how much they all put into what they cared about. It was very nice to see that we could all be nerds about what we like and have people to share it with, which is sometimes a rare luxury out in normal social situations. I loved the live Pokémon battle and the cosplay contest and the dramas at the end were really impressive. All in all, I think San Japan has set the mark for conventions, as far as my experience goes, and Airship Isabella was a big part of that experience. Their LARP was an impressive feat involving over 100 steampunks and required an immense amount of organization and control. And it is true that Airship Isabella does bring in anywhere from 100-200 guests. Steampunk is just a sub-culture that can co-exist well within the anime/Japanese community.

My last point to make is that almost every single steampunk that I've met in my life will totally gush over anime. The just LOVE it and can probably relate to almost any non-steampunk con-goer in their love for anime. The reason why I'm pushing for Airship Isabella is because both they and the steampunk community still appreciate and love what San Japan brings to our city, even without steampunk. What's important is that the con-goers can appreciate and respect what the con is TRULY about, anime and the like-cultures, but to be able to do so in their own way. Airship Isabella will just help facilitate the process by which myriad steampunk will pay homage to SJ and its well-respected tradition.

I vote Airship Isabella, that enables those of us Playing in the SCARS verses ORDER -LARP like last year’s LARP that was epic and also very steampunk is a must have at any con. IMO it would bring more Steampunkers to SJ. If we had, the Red Fork Empires Emperor and Airship Isabella at SJ it would bring those influenced by the aspects of the Steampunk ideology and aesthetic. Creation a Steampunk SCARS verses ORDER Story Line (that could be advertised), running in conjunction with the main SJ hype that is ongoing anyway.
    Over the past few years, Steampunk has grown exponentially, starting to expand in to new directions, growing into new areas. I attended San Japan last year at San Japan: four, there I saw a larger presence, even more than I had seen at San Japan: three, and five times more than I saw at San Japan: two... I have no doubt that the Steampunk Ideal and the many subcultural genera are growing out of our further Steampunk interest and in the SIFI community. Steampunk is growing in leaps and bounds, invigorating new people to participate in this subculture, which will only continue to grow, and I sincerely hope that San Japan will not only be accepting to this fairly new subcultural movement called Steampunk, but will make an effort to include more Steampunk in your schedules at your yearly events.
    Thank you from the desk of Doc Zepp

Quote Originally Posted by Clayge2099 View Post
    Airship Isabella and Sleeping Samurai should be guests at san japan again
    We already announced Sleeping Samurai on the Facebook. I got tired of waiting on Caleb to send me updated info so I put their old info on the SJ page under guests.
    In Charge Of The Chaos

I respectfully request airship Isabella be a guest

I was hopeing to see airship isabella!!!! It's one of the reason's I go to San Japan. Steampunk is a awesome genre to merge with anime. Please invite them!

I'd really appreciate it if you guys would go ahead and invite ASI to your convention. Steampunk is such a wonderful part of San Japan, I've always looked forward to seeing them. Thank you very much for your consideration.

.... it also would be awesome if you brought Andrew Hussie........ just a thought.....