Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weapon and prop policy changes! Your input is needed here!

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    OH! prop policy possibility, one thing i saw last year was Hetalia cosplayers swinging around flags while in line. the small ones weren't that bad. but there were a few large flags on metal poles being swung around. How about require anyone swinging anything around to have a 10foot radius where there is no one in the area for them to swing their props into?
    Quote Originally Posted by docsven View Post
    thats one rule that WONT change. NO SWINGING anything. I see that you get asked not to politely. Keep doing it thrn you get asked to remove the prop. NO swinging.
    Hear that Hetalia Flag Bearers? NO FLAG SWINGING!!1
    San Japan Main Gopher and Karaoke Coordinator
    "If something happens, I get blamed."

Check out my Work! Come, buy things!
    --> SelectionsX <--

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuri View Post
    Hear that Hetalia Flag Bearers? NO FLAG SWINGING!!1
    You swing anything you lose the right to have it at the show. AND if it becomes a problem we restrict the item from future shows./DOC

Moar Coffee!!!
    Have a question for the safety staff, and as I can't seem to find anywhere else to put this, I'll stick it here...

I'm planning to come to the show this year as Indiana Jones, as I did last year. They cleared the whip I used then, but it was a small child's toy, and I have since upgraded to a real, 12 foot bullwhip. I am wondering if this would be acceptable to wear on the floor, and if not, how I could make it so. Thanks in advance...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedalous View Post
    Have a question for the safety staff, and as I can't seem to find anywhere else to put this, I'll stick it here...

I'm planning to come to the show this year as Indiana Jones, as I did last year. They cleared the whip I used then, but it was a small child's toy, and I have since upgraded to a real, 12 foot bullwhip. I am wondering if this would be acceptable to wear on the floor, and if not, how I could make it so. Thanks in advance...
    I don't mind you using the real one BUT no swinging it or using it in anyway but for on your belt and posing please. Lets not get it banned ok? Make sure to bring it to the safety desk to be cleared please./DOC

I think shirtless cosplay so long as its true to the character and tasteful is really cool, same with light clothing it increases the options a person has and allows for some cheaper costumes in some cases XD.
    Nooby Competitive Gamer: Pokemon, Soul cal 5, and maybe persona 4 UA

Cosplays:

Done:
    Aladdin (Disney's aladdin.)

Dezzy's rabid badger ezio auditore da firenze's Avatar
    I don't mind you using the real one BUT no swinging it or using it in anyway but for on your belt and posing please. Lets not get it banned ok? Make sure to bring it to the safety desk to be cleared please./DOC
    Indeed sir patrick, no doing that cool thing of using your whip to grab someone and throw them off a ledge....unless its a bronie then eh not so much, as a side note did you get a room at the convention hotel?
    -When I said "deadly neurotoxin," the "deadly" was in massive sarcasm quotes. I could take a bath in this stuff. Put it on cereal, rub it right into my eyes... honestly, it's not deadly at all... to *me*. You, on the other hand, are going to find its deadliness... a lot less funny. - GlaDOS, Portal

ezio auditore da firenze x dezzy diamond= dezzio??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiorex12 View Post
    I think shirtless cosplay so long as its true to the character and tasteful is really cool, same with light clothing it increases the options a person has and allows for some cheaper costumes in some cases XD.
    I do agree with you and this will be a chance for cosplayers to show us they can keep it clean this year. DONE! We will allow shirtless cosplay as long as it matches a known costume. Also clothing can get lighter just keep it in lines with pg-13 folks. Great response Sergiorex12./DOC

I might look into peace bonding. (This is the iffy one.) I need to do more research on this since we have BOTH the hotel AND the Center. It might have to be only in the center and not in the Hotel./DOC
    I'm all for allowing Peace Tied Weapons, but have Zip Ties on hand to do it with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsies Welcome View Post
    I'm all for allowing Peace Tied Weapons, but have Zip Ties on hand to do it with.
    I agree BUT I really have not made that decision yet on peace bonding. I will be in further discussions with other staff I work with and SAPD to really see what is best for the show overall. I will give everyone time to prepare props tho have no fear.

What I am aiming for is NON edged props. So be prepared for that./DOC

So I have a fake sword, it's made out of steel, but not sharp, that would be ok?
    Cosplays

Friday: Rainbow Dash in a kimono (no wings)
    Saturday: Goth Rainbow Dash
    Sunday: Rave Rainbow Dash

Banned
    You would have to send me some pics for pre-approval and bring it by the safety desk to be checked in person./DOC

---THIS ACCOUNT IS RETIRED--- Blitzkrieg's Avatar
    I have a question regarding flags.
    I asked a bunch of other staff and boardies and they said to go ahead and bring it, however, I figured I would check with you first.
    One of my costumes is heavily centered around the Confederate flag, because it's from a specific horror film (I can provide reference pictures if necessary), and my partner and I are needing a rather large Confederate flag. She bought one so we could carry it with us, like the Hetalia cosplayers usually have their flags with them, and we signed up for a photoshoot in which we'd really need it.
    Now, considering it could be taken offensively (even though the literal history of the flag has no offensive meaning, the flag does represent a bad time/sensitive issue for some people) should I still bring it? It's not like I'm sporting around a Swastika or SS flag, and I won't yell obscene things and we will size the pole length appropriately.
    Also, a part of my costume (an eyepatch, more specifically) has a confederate flag on it already and I'm definitely not going to give that up. I'm willing to drop the flag but the eyepatch I need for the over all execution of the costume.

long story short: Are Confederate flags allowed if they are needed for a costume?

SAN JAPAN MACH 5 COSPLAYS:
    Toki Wartooth - Metalocalypse
    Scarecrow/Dr. Crane (Batman Begins version) - Batman
    Female Mayor Buckman - 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    I asked a bunch of other staff and boardies and they said to go ahead and bring it, however, I figured I would check with you first.
    One of my costumes is heavily centered around the Confederate flag, because it's from a specific horror film (I can provide reference pictures if necessary), and my partner and I are needing a rather large Confederate flag. She bought one so we could carry it with us, like the Hetalia cosplayers usually have their flags with them, and we signed up for a photoshoot in which we'd really need it.
    Now, considering it could be taken offensively (even though the literal history of the flag has no offensive meaning, the flag does represent a bad time/sensitive issue for some people) should I still bring it? It's not like I'm sporting around a Swastika or SS flag, and I won't yell obscene things and we will size the pole length appropriately.
    Also, a part of my costume (an eyepatch, more specifically) has a confederate flag on it already and I'm definitely not going to give that up. I'm willing to drop the flag but the eyepatch I need for the over all execution of the costume.

long story short: Are Confederate flags allowed if they are needed for a costume?
    WOW this one is new. You have a very valid question. FOLKS this is a rough one in my opinion to answer right away. What you have is a very misunderstood flag. The confederate flag is associated with many KKK and white supremacy groups. While it does not represent them it is a battle flag for the southern states that associated with it. It had MANY different appearances and uses. Also it has many chances or being a problem. So let's discuss this.

SPOILER - IF YOU START A DEBATE IN THIS FORUM ABOUT RACIST BEHAVIOR OR ANY BEHAVIOR TO MAKE FUN OF OR ATTACK ANYONE BECAUSE THIS PERSON ASKED A VALID QUESTION I WILL TAKE THIS TO THE MODERATORS FOR CENSURE AND REMOVAL. UNDERSTAND PLEASE COSTUMES ARE COSTUMES.

Now to the discussion. We don't allow swastikas or any NAZI type flags or markers not only because they are related to a very bad time and group in our world history. Some people feel the same way about the Confederate flag in all its forms. I am assuming you are wanting to do something like Jonah Hex? it is the only costume I can think of at the moment. I would need pics of the costume and references about it to see if it is valid or just an attempt to start drama. I do not say that in any way to insult. I say that to make sure we have no issues and drama about the flag walking around the show. We have to consider:

1 - What it will represent towards SJ (I know. dog collars, boys dressed like girls, hentai, goth, blah blah) but they are in the anime and culture. Where is the flag?
    2 - Ramifications form the venues Hotel and C/C and what they might not like. (It needs to be addressed)
    3 - Reactions from other staff and parents. They do matter as we want this show to represent something for everyone and not have a bad reputation.

While other boardies and staff can say all they want you really did the right thing by asking here so I can talk to PROZ about it in the proper way. I am mixed. one side says YES because I know what the flag really stands for and growing up in the Southern United States I know its proper history. I do re-enactments all over the USA as BOTH Yankee and Southern Army. It is pretty common in shirts, buckles, plates, and hats so there should really be a minimum shock value. I also say NO because of how bad people have completely turned it into something bad and its own reputation as Southern in the war brings that as well. Some people will cause drama just to have drama.

I know this is long winded BUT you deserve the best answer possible since you are paying for a pass and have a right to ask and be treated fairly just like everyone else. I will ask PROZ about this tomm and discuss this with my group such as SAPD and my contacts in the Hotel as well as the C/C to see if there might even be something that legally says no. I will get back to you and give you an answer.

IF YES you can carry it after you send me the pics and show me the costume.
    IF NO then you cannot carry it around the show BUT we can work something out for your photo shoot so it will not have a bad impact.

I hope that sounds fair and not a waste of time. I love costuming and want you to have the best show possible./DOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post

The answer is YES. You may carry it for your costume. Also you know the normal rules apply no swinging and so forth and please be safe. Thanks./DOC

I'm very excited to hear that SJ is going the route of live steel even if its only a trial basis. I hope that all of my fellow convention goers can be smart about this because honestly its a wonderful chance. I feel like every year this con gets better. As far as live steel goes I think we can handle it. Honestly a great example is my brother cosplayed as Siegfried from Soul Calibur last year at 4TW and he wore a full suit of plate armor, with armored gantlets and everything but he proved that even at 19 he acted twice his age. He never did anything dangerous and was always super careful about his surroundings so as not to hurt anyone. I think if everyone just keeps in mind their surroundings and acts wisely this will end really well. Unfortunately he wont make it to SJ this year because of basic training for the Air Force. I want us to have a great convention so that way next year he can join us for SJ6 and wear his armor again and carry a real sword. I think the world of Doc and his staff I've never felt treated poorly, or unfair not to mention I've always felt very safe. I think this thread and Doc's willingness to work with cosplayers shows his dedication to his trade and this convention I think it only fair we treat them with the same respect. On the same note just from reading other con-goers posts I see that we do have a mature and able crowd. I know I'm ranting a little but really this is a great con not to mention an extremely fun one. Just the fact that we are being given the chance to for lighter clothing, live steel, and air soft guns is a big deal. I can say that half the reason I even go to a convention is for the costumes both the ones I wear and the others I get to see!

Now that I'm done with ranting I have a question. I'm cosplaying as Batman this year and I know it was stated that we wouldn't be allowed projectiles which makes tons of sense. If we can have live steel would it be okay to bring two to three batarangs made from metal for photogenic purposes? Is this considered a projectile? I would never think of throwing them further more I will make sure they are extremely dull not even close to having an edge.

Thank you for your time and consideration as always DOC!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anime_drizzt View Post
    I'm very excited to hear that SJ is going the route of live steel even if its only a trial basis. I hope that all of my fellow convention goers can be smart about this because honestly its a wonderful chance. I feel like every year this con gets better. As far as live steel goes I think we can handle it. Honestly a great example is my brother cosplayed as Siegfried from Soul Calibur last year at 4TW and he wore a full suit of plate armor, with armored gantlets and everything but he proved that even at 19 he acted twice his age. He never did anything dangerous and was always super careful about his surroundings so as not to hurt anyone. I think if everyone just keeps in mind their surroundings and acts wisely this will end really well. Unfortunately he wont make it to SJ this year because of basic training for the Air Force. I want us to have a great convention so that way next year he can join us for SJ6 and wear his armor again and carry a real sword. I think the world of Doc and his staff I've never felt treated poorly, or unfair not to mention I've always felt very safe. I think this thread and Doc's willingness to work with cosplayers shows his dedication to his trade and this convention I think it only fair we treat them with the same respect. On the same note just from reading other con-goers posts I see that we do have a mature and able crowd. I know I'm ranting a little but really this is a great con not to mention an extremely fun one. Just the fact that we are being given the chance to for lighter clothing, live steel, and air soft guns is a big deal. I can say that half the reason I even go to a convention is for the costumes both the ones I wear and the others I get to see!

Now that I'm done with ranting I have a question. I'm cosplaying as Batman this year and I know it was stated that we wouldn't be allowed projectiles which makes tons of sense. If we can have live steel would it be okay to bring two to three batarangs made from metal for photogenic purposes? Is this considered a projectile? I would never think of throwing them further more I will make sure they are extremely dull not even close to having an edge.

Batarangs are fine. Projectiles re things that can be shot out of something. I love the look they give a costume. Sam rules apply no throwing and no sharp edges, but I do know they have some pointed parts just be cautious, aware, and safe. Bring them by the desk to be checked. Thanks./DOC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anime_drizzt View Post

Thank you for the praise. Its not often Safety gets anything but scorn. I and my staff appr it quite a bit!/DOC

You and your team deserve it and the first thing I will do is drop by the safety desk to get them approved! Thanks